Thread: any electricians?

Default any electricians?

Our cabin is built-yay! Hope to run some wiring one of these days. I'm looking to purchase a tool & wondering what right angle drill is handiest to use. Planned to probably buy a Milwaukee corded- but unsure what model is commonly used.

You are on the right track milwaukee make a good product. Don't try to run it off of a 1000 or a 2000 unit as they pull a good load. Some will tell you that the 2000 will be fine but when your Hole Hog get in a bind it will need full power. Good Luck

When I did it for a living, I used a Milwaukee. When I built my own cabin, I went cheap with a cordless hammer drill. Since it was just one cabin, I couldn't justify the expense. It took longer for sure.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

which model drill? I see that there is a 1107-1 & a 3107-6... I'm watching for a 'deal', so want to know precisely what to look for. Bummer about the info on the gene- we usually use a 2000. Although we have a 3500 for running power tools. If possible, we like to make it easy on ourselves since we have limited time at the cabin & more projects than $$ or time! =)

You can't go wrong with Milwaukee. I used to use Ryobi products, because they were "affordable." But I was constantly replacing the tools. When I couldn't even get a 10' sq deck built without a brand new, right out of the box, circular saw puking on me, I swapped out everything for Milwaukee, and haven't looked back. Their stuff isn't THAT much more expensive-might as well have the best.

One thing you might consider (regardless of brand) is to go with a 12 or 18 volt rechargeable system, where all tools use the same battery pack, then run the generator to recharge the battery. Generators are more fuel efficient at a steady load, so you'll get better overall performance from powering a battery charger with a gen set, than you will from using it run a tool directly. In fact, I can charge my batteries using a small inverter plugged into my truck and the tool battery charger plugged into the inverter. Charges a battery in 30 minutes. One other option might be to use a deep cycle battery to power the inverter, and then use the generator to power a battery charger to charge the deep cycle. An less convoluted idea would be to skip the generator completely, use the deep cycle to recharge the tool batteries. When the deep cycle is dead, go home and charge it in your garage.

thx & I will keep watching for hints on model #'s. Yes, we use rechargeables- having both Makita & Milwaukee. Various drills, LOVE the staple gun, also like the circular saw & sawzall. Or course, some jobs just appreciate a corded tool- so we have those also. We have purchased so much crap over the years that we'd like to pay a bit more (if we can) and buy it once & be able to depend on it to finish a project. Nothing like being remote & having stuff quit on ya. We can make due if needed- but it sure is nice to have the right tool for the job!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I guess the correct name is Hole Wawg. I would check out all of the pawn shops ,you want a good drill but you do not need one like a electrical contractor would need where he is using his all the time. While at the pawn shop try to find a couple of good drill bits (not the spade type)of the size that you will need. Can't think of what they call them . By the way stop off at the drug store and pick up a box of knuckle band aids as most likely you will get it bound up somewhere and whack them good.

Last time I built a wall with elec. in it, I pre-drilled all the studs before I put them up. Makes life simpler.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Depending on how much you have to do, just get a good aggressive drill bit and use a big cordless. I've been using an 18v DeWalt at our cabin, I go through some batteries but I'm getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    I guess the correct name is Hole Wawg. I would check out all of the pawn shops ,you want a good drill but you do not need one like a electrical contractor would need where he is using his all the time. While at the pawn shop try to find a couple of good drill bits (not the spade type)of the size that you will need. Can't think of what they call them . By the way stop off at the drug store and pick up a box of knuckle band aids as most likely you will get it bound up somewhere and whack them good.
    Forschner bits......could be spelled wrong
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

You are almost correct (Forstner) . These bits are some wood eating monsters as long as you keep them out of the nails.

Most electrical can be done with a cordless and 3/4" spade bit....if you need to run plumbing or vents, definitely consider investing in a Milwaukee or Ridgid Hawg with a clutch.....those 3"-4" holes will wreck you with anything less. I just finished wiring a house in town, running a 4 1/2" holesaw on a 60s-era clutchless hawg when it bound up and ran my knuckles into a fart fan unit so hard it bent the steel housing....not fun.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    You are almost correct (Forstner) . These bits are some wood eating monsters as long as you keep them out of the nails.
    They also make much nicer, cleaner holes tan your plain-jane drill bit.

I just used one of these in a hole hog 90 drill to make all the wiring holes in a 24x36 toy barn. Nice clean holes with very little tear out.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/drilling/48-25-1002
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I build cabins and just use my dewalt 18v impact and irwin self drilliing spade bits. Not super fast but the bits pull themselves through with mostly no pressure which I like. I think the bits are under $20 at homedepot