Thread: Circling distance for beagles

Default Circling distance for beagles

I just recently acquired a new garmin astro and some gps collars for my beagles when I am hare hunting. It is very helpful and it also answers a lot of questions I have had about how far a rabbit will circle before it turns back around. I have heard that snowshoe hares make a much farther circle than a cottontail rabbit, but after the last two weeks of using my new gps collars I'm not so sure. According to my gps, the average distance that a snowshoe hare runs in a circle is about 200-300 yards. In the last two weeks, one of my beagles who chases rabbits to me consistently, has chased about a dozen different rabbits, and each time she has only ran about 200-300 yards on average. A few times she has ran the rabbit (hare) only 100-200 yards, and a few times she has ran a rabbit 400-500 yards (about a quarter mile). That's not nearly as far as I was expecting. In the past, I always assumed the hares were running about 1/4-1/2 a mile. But I was estimating based on how far away I could hear her barking. But the gps doesn't lie. Anyhow, just in case anyone was wondering, there's some interesting information for you.

As someone who grew up listening to beagles bay on cotton tails, it is interesting...thanks for sharing. I would bet running these big Hares up here is alot of fun.

PCnAK

Great that you are finding some hares to chase! If their numbers are on the upswing that will be good for the cats. We are going to do a little grouse hunting today and maybe we will see a bunny or two as well.

Those GPS collars are pretty amazing. I am waiting for one I can use to set a 'fence' boundary on the property so I can teach my future dogs to stay on the property. The garmin alpha lets you determine an boundary that you can be 'notified' when the dog is at the boundary, but I want it to correct or use a tone correction at the same time it notifies me. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

My Beagle circles about 6-10"... Around the food bowl until she is sleepy again
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Okay got some more statistics for you all. Tonight my son and I took our beagles out for about 1-2 hours just to let them stretch their legs. We managed to get one snowshoe. But the real interesting thing I noticed on my garmin astro, is that both my dogs traveled approximately 5 miles in that amount of time and they were traveling approximately 3 miles an hour. One of my beagles (the new one that is still learning) got a little bit aways from me at one point (700-800 yards) but he eventually circled around. I suspect he might have started chasing a moose instead of a snowshoe hare. Like I said, he is still learning. But my 5 year old beagle who is really good at bringing the hares back around stayed about 200 yards from me and my son the entire time. She picked up a couple hares, but she only brought the one by us this evening.

Wow,

Five miles is a fair distance...don't know if my lab would last long How was the snow levels?

PCnAK

Quote Originally Posted by PCnAK View Post
    Wow,

Five miles is a fair distance...don't know if my lab would last long How was the snow levels?

PCnAK
    Oh shoot. 5 Miles is nothing for a beagle (or any other hound). If I let them, I bet they would run 20-30 miles a day before they got tired. After a couple hours I usually have to track them down with the gps collars and tie them up to take them home. My female is pretty attached to me so she usually follows me without a leash (unless she picks up a fresh scent on the way home), but the male dog would keep right on going if I let him. The nice thing about the rabbits is they usually don't run far, so even though the dogs keep running for miles, they just keep going in circles.

I have been thinking lately about making some videos of the dogs running snowshoes. Oh, and sometimes the snow slows them down, other times not. It depends on the condition of the snow. If it packs down, they can usually run right on top of it. If it is fresh powder and it is deep snow, then they slow down quite a bit. They can usually run on the rabbit trails though.

In my long experience with both beagles and bassets, it's entirely up to the snowshoes. In more open terrain they're going further and faster, while in tighter stuff lots less. Especially with a weather change and the snowshoes shifting their range, it can go lots, lots further than if the weather has been stable for a week or two and the hares are really settled in on home ranges for the time being. Interesting stuff, and it's certainly easier to collar a dog than a snowshoe.

Okay. Went out with the dogs today. Had a blast. Brought my 9 year old boy out with me with his 22. I didn't even shoot. I just brought the video camera along to take some video footage. My boy missed a ton of rabbits. He ended up with 3. Not bad considering they are moving targets, he is 9, and he was using a 22. But the dogs had a blast. We saw a ton of rabbits. My girl beagle ran 12 miles and was running about 4 MPH on average. My boy beagle was slower. He ran 4.5 miles and was traveling about 1.8 MPH. The dogs were running the rabbits in 200-300 yard circles. I got some good video footage. One of these days I think I am going to try to make a video of rabbit hunting with beagles in Alaska. I've looked around and I do not believe anyone has made one yet. I think it would make a great seller.

Good to hear! I have a pair of bassets who live for chasing bunnies. My female has always out hunted my male so I found your analysis commical. I want to take them out to burn some energy and run a bunny or two but I am nervous about them running into a predator or trap/snare. Wife would shoot me if I failed to bring our (kids) home

Quote Originally Posted by armystrong13d View Post
    Good to hear! I have a pair of bassets who live for chasing bunnies. My female has always out hunted my male so I found your analysis commical. I want to take them out to burn some energy and run a bunny or two but I am nervous about them running into a predator or trap/snare. Wife would shoot me if I failed to bring our (kids) home
    If you have the money, think about investing in a garmin astro. They are an excellent tool for beagles and hounds. You can keep track of their whereabouts at all times, you can tell when a dog is running a hare in a circle and coming back to you, and you can learn all sorts of things about how far they go, how fast they go etc. It's nice having that piece of mind that you know where they are at all times. If at any time it looks like a dog is stuck in one spot, you could always go investigate and see if it is in a trap or something. That is something I always worry about too.

Quote Originally Posted by armystrong13d View Post
    ...running into a predator or trap/snare.
    Always carry a great pair of wire cutters. No time to screw around with the lock if a dog gets in a snare.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Always carry a great pair of wire cutters. No time to screw around with the lock if a dog gets in a snare.
    I carry these: http://www.parktool.com/product/prof...g-cutter-cn-10

That's the one. Nothing cuts heavy snare cable so fast and slick.