Thread: Mountain Goat Meat

Default Mountain Goat Meat

My buddy bagged himself a very nice 4 year old billy on opening day over here in Cordova and I cooked up some to the backstraps up and wow! Amazing! By far some of the best tasting meat I've ever had. So my question is what do the rest of you do with yours? I've heard a lot of people just grind it up but what about steaks, roasts, and stew meat? I know its on the chewy side but is that the only complaint?

Nobody out there has anything?

Best burger there is, the roast we tried was tough and chewy, as was the steaks - but still had good flavor. Honestly, I love goat burger so much that I would grind an entire goat again and it would probably be gone in a few months. Great grilled burgers if ya cook em slow!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Hmmmm. Haven't tried the ground meat yet, got some in the fridge right now! I think if I bag mine on Saturday I will grind most of it but do a couple steaks and roast just for my own experience. Thanks!

I ground most of my 9.5yr old billie this year because I was thought it would be tough. Sliced thin a fried quick the backstrap was a tender as a young alpine deer, not to say that the rest wouldn't have been tough and i do love goat burger but the backstrap still has my mouth watering.

That said my friend shot a 11yr old on the last day of season about 10yrs ago and it was the most fowl thing I have ever put in my mouth, and I eat about everything. But the hide was amazing

Goat is wonderful for slow cooked preparations that woul dry out lean, normally more tender meat like blacktail. All that extra connective tissue if cooked properly converts from cartilage into collagen and gets silky smooth and delicious. I love goat burger to make burgers out of but, personally I don't use burger for anything else so I don't grind a lot. My wife and boys can't get enough stew and chili made from goat.

I save my backstraps and most of the hindquarters I cut up into steaks. Pounded out, breaded and fried goat steak with mashed potatoes and gravy has become probably my favorite goat meal. That being said it does make excellent burger and any of the meat is good for chili and slow cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    I save my backstraps and most of the hindquarters I cut up into steaks. Pounded out, breaded and fried goat steak with mashed potatoes and gravy has become probably my favorite goat meal. That being said it does make excellent burger and any of the meat is good for chili and slow cooking.
    Me too,,,,

Goat Loaf

Stew

Cheese Goat Burgers

Stuffed and Bacon wrapped Goat loaf

Goat Taco/Shepard's Pie

Mashed Potatoes baked as crust

Filled with fried goat burger cooked with taco seasoning.

Ready to eat

Same left over goat/taco meat, wrap in a pastry shell and add cheese and bake.

This one has feta and spinach.

Mongolian Goat using course grind goat meat.

Makes wonderful meatballs that are great with marinara sauce, on a bun or served Swedish style with brown gravy.

All these recipes are posted in the "What's for dinner" thread.

Enjoy

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Now you're making me hungry. Good thing I have a few hundred pounds of moose meat in the freezer. Having meat loaf tonight.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

**** those look good! What about ribs? Helped another buddy bring down a 3 year old billy and he gave me a rack of ribs!

I kept the tenderloin, backs traps and a few cuts off the hind quarter for steaks and roast and ground the rest in burger and sausage. In the future I will also grind the hind quarter. It was delicious, but a tad too tough.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page