Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to start reloading

Default Going to start reloading

I'm buying a .41 mag and have decided I will start reloading. My neighbor mentioned today that I could use his tools. He reloads because of his stranger calipers. So I want to pick up some powder and primers while in town since shipping those would possibly be expensive as all get out.

Any my suggestions or hints for a newbie?

It's an easy round to load for. Most any powder that works well in the 44mag will do well in the 41. AA9, H110/W2196, 2400 are all good for full power loads. Unique, Herco, W231/HP38, Universal clays and a host of others work well for mid power loads. I'm now shooting a home made 270gr jacketed bullet at 1200fps using Lil Gun from a 6"Black Hawk as my bear thumper. Cast booltis work very well in the 41. Try to fing 240gr or heavier to load for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    It's an easy round to load for. Most any powder that works well in the 44mag will do well in the 41. AA9, H110/W2196, 2400 are all good for full power loads. Unique, Herco, W231/HP38, Universal clays and a host of others work well for mid power loads. I'm now shooting a home made 270gr jacketed bullet at 1200fps using Lil Gun from a 6"Black Hawk as my bear thumper. Cast booltis work very well in the 41. Try to fing 240gr or heavier to load for bear.
    Could I load lighter for plinking rounds?

Choose a reloading manual and read it in its entirety. After that, then begin reloading.

Yep, the 41 is like any other straight wall pistol case. lots of data available. 5 or 6 grs of unique, w231 or universal clays and a 200gr cast would be a plaesant practice load.

If you have not reloaded before, you really should get a "How to" reloading manual. Study it, don't just read it. When you feel like you have a good basic idea of what to do, then get your friend to give you some hands on reloading instruction. Don't cut corners or try something different until you are definitely knowledgeable in reloading. Safety is vital, as is paying attention to detail. I also recommend starting with a single stage press, not an automatic. Reloading can be a wonderful hobby, so enjoy yourself.

yukon; welcome to handloading ! choosing to handload will open a whole new chapter in your shooting experience, and provide a cheaper alternative to practice and hunting.

as mentioned by some of the above entries, it is wise to study the how-to's and work with an experienced loader to get the hang of it. the manuals are written to help you avoid a mistake causing a weapon malfunction or even serious injury. it's been my experience that it is wise to follow those guidelines especially concerning powder and primer combinations. also be sure to properly roll crimp your case mouth so that your cylinder won't "lock up" from a jumping bullet.

with your excellent .41 find your most flexible powder and bullet loads and stick pretty much with them to improve your shooting. i prefer hardcast bullets in relatively heavy weights. don't worry about penetration...moderate loads will do it for you.

best of luck !
    happy trails.
    jh

I use a RCBS mold to make my plinking .41 bullets, 210 gr. I load those with Unique powder. For now I just buy the heavy hard cast bullets.

Default You Tube Reloading Videos

[QUOTE=Yukon Cornelius;1431500]I'm buying a .41 mag and have decided I will start reloading. My neighbor mentioned today that I could use his tools. He reloads because of his stranger calipers. So I want to pick up some powder and primers while in town since shipping those would possibly be expensive as all get out.

Any my suggestions or hints for a newbie?

Check You Tube. They have some great instructional videos. Get the Lyman 49th Edition Manual. I find it more reliable for good loads than the Hornady manual. On several calibers their lower end loads don't cut it. I used their data for some .357 loads and ended up with a bunch of squib loads (dangerous light loads). A couple of them got stuck in the barrel. When you start out don't take anything for granted.

Cheers,
    Vaportrail

After the initial outlay, reloading is fairly cost effective and fun. Like your neighbor, I reload for several hard to find calibers. Some powders are harder to find now days, and while I don't advocate hoarding, I do recommend that you buy what you can when you run across it. Doesn't hurt to buy a big box of primers or a case of bullets, for instance. Pistol rounds don't degrade as fast as shouldered rifle cartridges, so you will get lots of shots from your brass.
    I'm no expert, but I probably would not be shooting nearly as much as I do if I couldn't reload. I'm thankful that several forum members helped me out with advice and equipment when I first got into reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Choose a reloading manual and read it in its entirety. After that, then begin reloading.
    Bingo. Nothing like reading. Gives you time to ponder what you have just read. Look at the photos. Buy a couple manuals. My first was a Lyman back in 1971.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If you're gonna load 41, or other similar straight wall cartridges, I recommend the Lee 4 Die set with the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Ya can't beat the process.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If you're gonna load 41, or other similar straight wall cartridges, I recommend the Lee 4 Die set with the Lee Factory Crimp die.

Ya can't beat the process.

SOTN
    I already have RCBS dies for .44 and .357, would you recommend adding the Lee factory crimp die to those sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spend your money on carbide sizing dies. They will speed up your reloading time by not having to lube and clean off lube.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I already have RCBS dies for .44 and .357, would you recommend adding the Lee factory crimp die to those sets?

YES' Definitly.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    YES' Definitly.
    SOTN
    Thanks, I've got a gift card burning a hole in my pocket, I think I'll order one and give it a try!

Anyone have any suggestions for getting pistol powder? Just bought a whole setup and have been everywhere from wasilla to south anchorage looking for powder to reload 10mm. Nothing. I am considering returning the gear, as it is apparently impossible to reload pistol up here, at least for the near future.

Hitting the shops as often as you can is the way i've managed to keep of full shelf of MOST of what I shoot. Keep a list of all possible powders for that cartridge and i suspect you could find SOMETHING for it within two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Singu1arity View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for getting pistol powder? Just bought a whole setup and have been everywhere from wasilla to south anchorage looking for powder to reload 10mm. Nothing. I am considering returning the gear, as it is apparently impossible to reload pistol up here, at least for the near future.
    I suggest Three Bears, they usually have powder when no one else does.

Are you looking for a certain powder or just a pistol powder to shoot? I have seen a variety of powders available at several stores lately. If you really can't find anything, let me know what you want and maybe I can fix you up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast