Thread: How much weight can be shaved off a stock Ruger .375ruger alaskan?

Default How much weight can be shaved off a stock Ruger .375ruger alaskan?

What would be the cost involved, I imagine a new stock? Can bbl and bolt be fluted? If lightened alot, I would probably want it ported, but not a brake, I like the short 20" bbl. So anyone do this to their stock ruger? I would probably want it recoated too, since metal work may be done and it supposed to SS with some black coating on it, some minor rust showing, which normally comes off easy.

So I could buy pillar bedded stock I bet, just need a light brand suggested for said caliber. Curious to what any of you might have done to the same gun???

How much to flute bbl and bolt normally?
    How much to port?
    What's the best coating and cost?

Thanks

I just put the old Ruger Zytel stock AKA boat paddle on mine with a light Pentax 1.5x5x20mm scope and light rings sucker is 8.00 loaded
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Quote Originally Posted by 58dranger View Post
    I just put the old Ruger Zytel stock AKA boat paddle on mine with a light Pentax 1.5x5x20mm scope and light rings sucker is 8.00 loaded

I knew I shoulda kept mine! Sold it w gun but with an after market stock. Are you afraid the stock will break with the recoil, like when they first came out with the hogue before they added metal to the pistol grip area?

sometimes a factory stock just doesn't fill the bill when exposed to certain hunting conditions...gratefully there are so many good alternatives it is easy to make a change. i personally like hs precision stocks, but hogue and others make a good one.

my suggestion is to leave your factory stock alone, and sell it intact on eBay or another site. use the money toward your new purchase.

**also don't be afraid to buy used as it can save a lot of money. get the best model with an internal bedding block or pillar bedding system to avoid the expense of a custom bedding job.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    sometimes a factory stock just doesn't fill the bill when exposed to certain hunting conditions...gratefully there are so many good alternatives it is easy to make a change. i personally like hs precision stocks, but hogue and others make a good one.

my suggestion is to leave your factory stock alone, and sell it intact on eBay or another site. use the money toward your new purchase.

**also don't be afraid to buy used as it can save a lot of money. get the best model with an internal bedding block or pillar bedding system to avoid the expense of a custom bedding job.
    The hogue factory stock it came with is pillar style bedded, just like the old boat paddle stocks ruger had. My rugers have always shot good with that type of stock.

Yeah, I just need to start looking, and check to get it ported and maybe fluted all the same time. I'll eventually have the time to go talk to wwg or alaska custom firearms.

You won't save a lot of weight with any kind of fluting, 4-5oz at best. The real savings will come as you surmised, in the stock. The hogue stocks have lots of followers and that's okay. But there is no getting around the fact that they are heavy and you can save some weight by ditching it. McMillan will make a stock for the Alaskan that will weigh around 24oz ready to hunt. MPI also will do a lightweight stock for this rifle and they could likely get it down around 20oz.

As for coatings, nitride is the end all be all insofar as weatherproofing and durability. It's not paint and it's not cheap, but it is tougher than nails and impervious to the elements.

Porting looks cleanest when done by MagnaPort, but isn't near as effective as an integral brake machined through the barrel band.

You'll end up sinking a ton of $$$ into this and it's still not going to be super light. Not to say it won't be a nice rifle because it will, but unless you plan to keep and use it forever you'll likely loose your shorts when you go to sell. FYI a Rem 700 XCR in 375 with the bbl cut back to 20" weighs about 7 1/4# and is already coated.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    You won't save a lot of weight with any kind of fluting, 4-5oz at best. The real savings will come as you surmised, in the stock. The hogue stocks have lots of followers and that's okay. But there is no getting around the fact that they are heavy and you can save some weight by ditching it. McMillan will make a stock for the Alaskan that will weigh around 24oz ready to hunt. MPI also will do a lightweight stock for this rifle and they could likely get it down around 20oz.

As for coatings, nitride is the end all be all insofar as weatherproofing and durability. It's not paint and it's not cheap, but it is tougher than nails and impervious to the elements.

Porting looks cleanest when done by MagnaPort, but isn't near as effective as an integral brake machined through the barrel band.

You'll end up sinking a ton of $$$ into this and it's still not going to be super light. Not to say it won't be a nice rifle because it will, but unless you plan to keep and use it forever you'll likely loose your shorts when you go to sell. FYI a Rem 700 XCR in 375 with the bbl cut back to 20" weighs about 7 1/4# and is already coated.

Good luck

The bbl has few scrapes from rocks n such, little rust there, cleans up tho and some around top of bbl band. So figured if I'm gonna coat, thinking nitrade already, mise well mag na port and flute. I don't mind the recoil, just thinking porting to keep the muzzle down, its pretty jumpy in the right conditions= like on kodiak this last sept on a sharp pointed rock and taking a 250 yard shot on a 6 point buck, scope bit my bridge of the nose. 6'3" guy behind 2' tall rock w gun on top wasn't the best, but only option. Barely got me, but is a concern. I do like the gun and its my only rifle currently. Dropped my goat easily of course and was glad I had the big boy w 5 brown bears spotted on mountain where we ended up deer hunting mostly. Just in phase of pondering and starting to research. McMillan didn't show any stocks for the rugers or not that I seen. Bell and carson had one, and another company had wood or laminate embedded w aluminum like a hogue.

Thanks for the input Kid!

Talk to Rick at http://extremerifleworks.com/. He built me a lightweight switch barrel gun and I couldn't be more happy with it. I was thinking of sending him my 375 Ruger to lose some weight as well.