Thread: Good Halibut Rod Combo?

Default Good Halibut Rod Combo?

I'm looking for another halibut rod/reel and ran across an inexpensive setup at Costco. It's a Penn 320GT reed on a Penn 20-50 line weight rod. The setup is $115. Any halibut experts out there have an opinion on whether or not this would be a good choice for halibut? If not, what would you recommend and where would you buy it? Would like to keep the price around $150ish.

Personally I like to spend a little bit more on a halibut combo. I like the Penn and Lamiglass butt rods that have aluminum real seats, they can be had in 20-50 or 50-100 weights for around $80. For reels, I like the Penn 4/0 special senators or in a lever drag the Shimano tld 20's. These setups will be a bit over $200, but IMHO, are alot more rod/reek than the costco combos.

Another option, and a spendy one, is to get a good 20-40 pound jigging rod, and a good high speed reel, shimano, avet etc and spool it with 50# superbraid. You'll have a rod/reel that you can use for salmon, rockfish and halibut, though it'll end up pushing about $400.

I love Penn GTI reels and have been using them for about 15 years and never had one break on us yet. I am not sure if the 320 has the same size drag as the larger 330 and 345. If the drag is the same size it makes this combo at Costco a really great buy. Otherwise I would purchase a new 330 or 345 and a Lamiglas stand up rod at Sportsman Warehouse. Then you would be into approximately $225 for the rig. Add another $50 for braided line.
    Tennessee

Default Costco

I agree that the GTI reels are awesome. The combo I saw at Costco has the 330 GTI on it. I just bought two. Even if you don't like the rod 100% it will work for halibut. And it's not a bad deal for the reel. I'd spool it up with some 80# powerpro.

Default Lamiglas or Penn Rods with an Okuma T20L Reel

Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna usually sells both the Lamiglas and Penn rods for less than $100 for both the medium and the heavy duty rods. For reels, I've chosen the Okuma T20L reel. It's a level wind, runs for less than $150 per reel (less if you shop the end of year sales at Trustworthy), and in two years of use so far has been been sturdy, reliable, and easy to use. It's got a good drag, and I've been impressed so far. Time will really tell if it's goig to be a quality reel, but so far so good.

I've got one of the Shimano TL20D reels, and it's OK, but not my favorite. It's not level wind, and I'm not impressed with the overall quality of the reel. I've also got a Penn GT320GTI which I like better than the Shimano.

My first choice is the Okuma, followed by the Penn and then the Shimano.

SH

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I had originally misspoke on the reel # I'd seen at Costco. It was in fact a Penn 330GTI not a 320. Anyhow, I went ahead and bought one. For $115, I don't think you can find a better deal.

AKBoater: how many yards of that 80lb line did you manage to fit on this reel?

Default Line

I usually put about 200 yards if that much. I put some dacron on there for a backing cause it's spendy to fill a 330 with Powerpro. It's been awhile since I filled one but I know the backing is essential if you just put 200 yards of powerpro on, the diameter of the spool is so small it takes 20 min. to reel up from the bottom.

Dittos on dacron backing when running superbraid. 150 yds is a good minimum, but 200 yds or more is better as when the line frays you can cut off some and not have to re-spool.

One thing to check on those costco rods are the rod tip guides. I notices several of them were damaged. Costco is great about returns, but it's better to save yourself a trip back.

I personally like the AVET reel and Daiwa interline rod setups. But for the money, sounds like that's a deal too good to pass up.

Default Interline Hmmm

From my limited experience with the interline and other similar rods the increased friction caused by the line running along the length of a bent rod makes it difficult to regulate drag tension. But like I said, I have very limited experience with those type rods.

I love my Lamiglass rod. I have Penn 330 gt reels on them and they work great. Tom at B&J hooked me up with all the right equipment.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I have 4 Lamiglass rods 3 of which have the 330 GTI reels and there hasn't been any complaints in 3 years. I also have an old rod I got from a friend that I put a 320 GTI on and it happens to be the favorite rod on the boat. Seems like the 330 GTI was on sale for $90 at Trustworthy so I'd say you won't go wrong with the Costco combo even if you replaced the rod later. All of our rods have the aluminum reel seats and IMO that in itself makes for a better rod.

Just a heads up if you go to Costco. A buddy of mine picked 2 combo's up today. He had to sort through several to insure the tips weren't broke, eyelets weren't damaged and the reel handle and drag star wasn't bent up. Spend the time and check them out well was his advice.