Thread: yet another how big is he thread

Default yet another how big is he thread

moose.jpgmooses.jpgI hope you all aren't overly tired of this game yet! Actually I always love seeing posts with pix of moose- hope a few others feel the same! So, we as responsible hunters are to learn all we can. I didn't grow up hunting moose- my dad did the hunting and didn't seem to think it was the place for girls. So, in the interest of making up for lost time... here I go. Anyhow, I have seen many gorgeous animals & spent part of the last 2 years in a spike/fork or 50+/4bt area. I haven't seen one that i said "Oh yeah, there he is" (of the big guys)- the pix with 2 bulls was last fall. NOT 4bt- but any guesses on width? The other was this fall- he MAY have had a 4th tine, but I couldn't see well enough. All walked with nothing taken but a photo. Thanks in advance for input & playing along!

You should give me the area you can PM if you want to keep it quiet and will let you know next year,

All high 40's. But none I would drop the hammer on unless they had the brow times.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    All high 40's. But none I would drop the hammer on unless they had the brow times.
    Exactly! Those are the breeding bulls that the spike/50" is trying to keep around. Sure is frustrating to pass on them though!

45-48 tops, these are the ones that frustrate you.

You can tell the two bulls together the antlers are cupped in. First sign to me not to shoot. The other one is starting to lay out but not enough.
    Last edited by 375ultramag; 10-11-2014 at 22:07. Reason: add more info

I don't get the "frustration"? Just find a legal one and be glad there's some left to breed. Except of course the ones that are supposed to live, but someone desperate to get one dumps them and says oops.
    Cool photos by the way.

The one on the left in the second photo might be worth taking a second look at. I believe he may be over 50 but not by much. The rest are under 50 like others have said.

Agree with those that think they're all less than 50.

I never get tired of these types of post. They tend to give us 'food for thought', besides it is good to see pictures of there bulls. It appears that one of the pictures, the bull is still in velvet and might be close to 50" later on but as other have said 'I would pass on these' and look for something that is 'really' legal.
    My wife was in the same boat us the OP, in that her father thought that the girls in the family should 'stay at home' and the boys get to go hunting. Trouble was, my wife wanted to hunt more then her brothers did! She goes out all of the time and enjoys being out with the rest of us.

They will look better next year.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I know a lot of people want to be conservative as not to be criticized, and I usually am too, but in the pic of the two bulls, still hard to tell, but I believe the one on the left is pretty dang close, if not 50". I sure know I'd be looking at him REAL darn good that's for sure........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

He looks wider cause his ears are atraight up...I still think they are about the same....alive.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

thank you! This is all good stuff. I didn't think about the antlers being 'cupped' or flat & that sort of thing. Good stuff to know! I'm open to listening to any hints or tips. In the adfg video (I think) they say about 10" across eyes on skull. Seems like I've read that if the ears are out... something, something... I can't remember, but keep the info coming!

Oh, b/t/w these were taken both years- first of Sept.

The single bull is the one that has my attention. I'd bet he's right close to 50". His left antler has a dark shadow off of the left side of his brow points that looks a lot like a 4th brow tine to me. From the pics id not shoot any of them just because it's too close but I'd spend some time looking over the single bull. Looks like he has 4 on the one side.