Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak caribou

Default Kodiak caribou

Does anyone know if the kodiak caribou are counted against your state bag limit? I took a bull this fall and wondering if I could still hunt kodiak reindeer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot. They are classified as caribou. Limit one per year. If you have harvested one in another unit you have exceeded the bag limit allowed in unit 8.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    You cannot. They are classified as caribou. Limit one per year. If you have harvested one in another unit you have exceeded the bag limit allowed in unit 8.
    That's a shame. It's weird, the regs go out of their way to call them 'feral reindeer' in the book, rather than just caribou. I wonder why that is. I get the feeling their presence was from an experiment that they realized was a bad idea after transplantation. Just my wild speculation.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    That's a shame. It's weird, the regs go out of their way to call them 'feral reindeer' in the book, rather than just caribou. I wonder why that is. I get the feeling their presence was from an experiment that they realized was a bad idea after transplantation. Just my wild speculation.

They are feral reindeer. They were from the native village of Ahkiok. They were turned free or got loose? Their population exploded to above 2,000, but range couldn't carry that many mouths. So eventually the population plummeted, it is now about 200-300 from what I understand. Bears do a good job keeping pop in check, eating the cows and calves in the spring.

There used to be no season or limit. Like everything a few rotten apples screwed it up for the rest of us. Shooting to many and not being able to take care of them was one I heard about. The other was a few people and businesses were targeting them heavily because you could same day airborne them.

So now reclassified as caribou, with a season and a limit, it now protects them from over exploitation. So no same day airborne, and have to get a caribou harvest permit and limit of one with a season. I've seen a few nice big ones over the years, but never connected on a bull. I shot a cow once that I thought was a bull. I had my pick of 150 animals.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413086750.431535.jpg

Default Kodiak caribou

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    They are feral reindeer. They were from the native village of Ahkiok. They were turned free or got loose? Their population exploded to above 2,000, but range couldn't carry that many mouths. So eventually the population plummeted, it is now about 200-300 from what I understand. Bears do a good job keeping pop in check, eating the cows and calves in the spring.

There used to be no season or limit. Like everything a few rotten apples screwed it up for the rest of us. Shooting to many and not being able to take care of them was one I heard about. The other was a few people and businesses were targeting them heavily because you could same day airborne them.

So now reclassified as caribou, with a season and a limit, it now protects them from over exploitation. So no same day airborne, and have to get a caribou harvest permit and limit of one with a season. I've seen a few nice big ones over the years, but never connected on a bull. I shot a cow once that I thought was a bull. I had my pick of 150 animals.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413086750.431535.jpg
    That's a cow? Holy hell, very nice. I want to go get one now. They should change the limit to two so that someone who got a caribou and went down to Kodiak for late season deer could get one. They have to eat a better diet with the shorter winters.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Just got back from south end we harvested 3 nice reinbou the gene pool doesn't seem very diverse a lot of unique characteristics will post photos soon

Wow.......after over 30 years of living in AK., I never knew there were/are caribou/raindeer on Kodiak. If I did hear about it it was long ago and since then a bad case of CRS has taken effect.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Attachment 82010south end bou

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    Attachment 82010south end bou
    photo didn't post

Default kodiak reindeer

Attachment 82019 Unique Kodiak reindeer

Still not there.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiotke View Post
    Attachment 82019 Unique Kodiak reindeer
    Dan......for some reason some members are able to see attachments like this, but I do believe for most us we can't.......don't understand why that is. But from what I've seen, to post pics here that you know will come through, you need to go through a photo service such as photo bucket and then post them from there.

For me...some attachments others post, I can see, and others I can't. I have uploaded attachments and they all seem to have worked, and I don't have a photobucket etc. type place for photos, they come straight from my files on my computer. I always use the 'basic uploader' option. The photobucket etc. option seems to be better, with nice big photos, and the attachments have a file size limit, so they're smaller.
    "Grin and Bear It"

image.jpg How about now?

Got it that time..... CRAZY...bull...!!!

Probably from the wind when he was in velvet....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Probably from the wind when he was in velvet....lol
    Now THAT'S some hella wind...!!!

It is the south end of kodiak, known for its "breezes".
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    It is the south end of kodiak, known for its "breezes".
    Yep, unless you've experienced the "breezes" words don't come to mind to describe it.

Crazy rack. Looks like there could be some moose genetics in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast