Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory hare thread

Default Obligatory hare thread

It's that time of year again I suppose for the "have the hares turned white yet?" post. With the late winter, warm weather, rain are the hares turning white anyway?

Haven't seen any to check in a couple years now! I was hoping the numbers would turn around this year but it doesn't seem they have yet, at least where I hunt. I was hoping to have some snow on the ground to look for tracks but it turned to rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen one this summer/fall will see during the winter where some might be found.

Shot four this afternoon. They were all turning white on the belly. You could see the white when they were running. They were hard to spot when they were sitting still. I had my beagles with me and that helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Haven't seen any to check in a couple years now! I was hoping the numbers would turn around this year but it doesn't seem they have yet, at least where I hunt. I was hoping to have some snow on the ground to look for tracks but it turned to rain.

I was having some clearing done in the front yard this summer and instead of burning off the branchs I had the guys build me a hundred foot rabbit home, my land borders UA land, ( thought about getting a grant for study of wildlife inside city limits, lol.)

Anyway some of the stumps were placed on the bottom and then the populars, then the spruce bows were placed on top, looks like a dwelling for just about any critter but if it is bigger than a rabbit it would have a hard time getting in. There is plenty of food for the bunnys and a safe haven for them.

If it works out there should be more critters showing up.

( Always trying something )

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I was having some clearing done in the front yard this summer and instead of burning off the branchs I had the guys build me a hundred foot rabbit home, my land borders UA land, ( thought about getting a grant for study of wildlife inside city limits, lol.)

Anyway some of the stumps were placed on the bottom and then the populars, then the spruce bows were placed on top, looks like a dwelling for just about any critter but if it is bigger than a rabbit it would have a hard time getting in. There is plenty of food for the bunnys and a safe haven for them.

If it works out there should be more critters showing up.

( Always trying something )
    That's awesome, you should set up some game cams pouting at it and see what kind of surprises you find!

That's awesome, you should set up some game cams pouting at it and see what kind of surprises you find!

LOL, the cams are where the grant comes into effect, Grins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    LOL, the cams are where the grant comes into effect, Grins.
    Ha ha ha, alright, post pictures!

Bushwhack, what part of the state were you hunting in? Just curious as to whether or not the general areas of the state effects when they change color phases? Was up near southfork trailhead last week and had a hare cross the road in front of me. He looked like he was piebald (sp?) with the mixture of brown and white. It was the only one I've seen this year, course I haven't been out targeting them either.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Bushwhack, what part of the state were you hunting in? Just curious as to whether or not the general areas of the state effects when they change color phases? Was up near southfork trailhead last week and had a hare cross the road in front of me. He looked like he was piebald (sp?) with the mixture of brown and white. It was the only one I've seen this year, course I haven't been out targeting them either.
    Unit 14. They'll be mostly white by next weekend.

Hopefully the snow will hold of until then . It'll be the first weekend without anything on my to do list, hope to get out after them or maybe a combo hares and grouse or ptarmingan.

Went on a pretty long walk with the dog tonight, didn't see ANY hares. More interesting was that I couldn't find ANY hare droppings and none of the Birch that has blown down this summer was chewed on, that stuff would have been a hare magnet a few years ago. I was hoping we were coming out of the low here in 15A but it seems like its going to be another year of scarce hares.

Went on a pretty long walk with the dog tonight, didn't see ANY hares. More interesting was that I couldn't find ANY hare droppings and none of the Birch that has blown down this summer was chewed on, that stuff would have been a hare magnet a few years ago. I was hoping we were coming out of the low here in 15A but it seems like its going to be another year of scarce hares.
    Last year I drove down Swan Lake Road after a fresh snow. All the way from the gas field turn off to the end of Swan Lake was fresh without any tire tracks even. Not a single rabbit track crossed the road the whole stretch. Even if they tripped their numbers this year I think it'll still be slim pickings. Hopefully they come back soon I want to get my 3yr old out shooting some.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Last year I drove down Swan Lake Road after a fresh snow. All the way from the gas field turn off to the end of Swan Lake was fresh without any tire tracks even. Not a single rabbit track crossed the road the whole stretch. Even if they tripped their numbers this year I think it'll still be slim pickings. Hopefully they come back soon I want to get my 3yr old out shooting some.
    Wow, I was hoping it was just me! I'll try and get another survey once we have some snow.

It's not looking good down here this year. Off topic I am really bummed about the lynx closure though. I think they could have dropped the limit to one and closed the trapping.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    It's that time of year again I suppose for the "have the hares turned white yet?" post. With the late winter, warm weather, rain are the hares turning white anyway?
    The change in fur color has nothing to do with the weather. It is due to the lengthening and shortening of the light cycle triggering the change via circadian rhythms. On a side note, some friends got eight hares on JBER on Friday. He said they were still brown.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The change in fur color has nothing to do with the weather. It is due to the lengthening and shortening of the light cycle triggering the change via circadian rhythms. On a side note, some friends got eight hares on JBER on Friday. He said they were still brown.
    Thanks for the update, hopefully they are still brown down here and just hiding better than I am seeing!

Several years back here on the peninsula during the peak of the last cycle we didn't get any snow until around Christmas it was a great time hunting rabbits that were all white when everything around was brown. They stuck out rather nicely

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Several years back here on the peninsula during the peak of the last cycle we didn't get any snow until around Christmas it was a great time hunting rabbits that were all white when everything around was brown. They stuck out rather nicely
    That was around the time I started hunting them and boy did I get spoiled! Can't wait for the next go around!

went out for a little jaunt today north of Palmer... Didn't see any hide nor hair of any hare. But we did see a few (very few) tracks. I take this as a good sign that hopefully the population is going to start 'bouncing' back.

All puns intended. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast