Thread: Homer or Seward for Halibut

Default Homer or Seward for Halibut

Hello All. Forgive me. I am from Colorado and know nothing about ocean fishing. I am going to be going to AK from 7/28-8/3. I was curious if you could give me some advice on where to fish for halibuit. I called an outfit who normally runs out of Deep Creek, but in late July/early Aug they start fishing for Halibuit out of Seward. Does Seward offer better fishing than Homer/DC/Ninilchick for this timeframe? Also, do you have any recommendations on which companies are the best to go with for a charter?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Homer for halibut hands down. Seward you can catch halibut and other fish like yelloweye.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

There are pro's and con's of each. Out of seward your timing is good as the the silver salmon will be in hot and heavy, so good odds of getting some buts and silvers. One of the downsides of Seward is Resurection bay is narrow as it opens out into the gulf of Alaska, and it can nasty getting out and back from the exit. The halibut our out fished out in the gulf, not in Resurection bay.

I've usually done pretty well for halibut out of Homer, it is a bit more protected. On the down side, the tides are very strong, as well as the currents, so you have to use alot of lead to stay on bottom, and if there are extreme tide changes that day, there will some times you just can't fish, ie the fishing window is narrower.

If I was targetting solely halibut, I'd likely go to homer, for a combo halibut/silver trip, Seward.

AG/Paul H thanks for the information. Do you think we would get skunked if we tried to fish for halibut at Seward? I am trying to understand the reasoning behind them switching from the Homer area to Seward in Aug. The charter is http://www.ninilchik.com/. Do you guys have any experience with them?

AG could you recommend any charter outfits out of Homer tat are good?

I wouldn't mind fishing for Salmon if we limit out on Halibut, but I would primarily like to fish for Halibut.

You can get skunked anywhere, though the odds are good of you hooking up. If you really want to catch halibut, and especially larger fish, you might want to consider one of the overnight trips, though not on the cattle boats, ie 26 folks on a boat. You'll get alot more fishing time, and the boats can run further out.

I think you'll find which crew takes you out, and the effects of the whether have a much greater bearing on how you do than where you leave from.

As an example I'll compare 3 trips I've had with different charters but all running deltas, which are boats that hold 18 people. Personally i like 6 pack, as you aren't trying to boat as many fish in the same amount of time.

Anyhow, went out of homer with the same charter two different years. First time the fishing was slow the first 2-3 or spots we dropped anchor, but the final spot was hot and I caught about 20 fish, kept throwing them back waiting for a big one. All fish were in the 20# range and I was having a blast. Went out with the same charter the next year, we motored out for a few hours, the seas were rough and getting rougher. The dropped anchor, then reports were bigger seas coming, we pulled anchor before wetting a line and tucked tail to head for port.

Last year I ran out of Seward on a different charter. We fished outside of Montague Island. Fishing was slow, and we basically spent the whole day there. I did catch two halibut, but threw one back as it was small and early in the day, and I figured I'd get a bigger one, I didn't. I did catch a nice lingcod. I think there were at most a dozen halibut caugth on our boat, 4 ling cod, a good selection of silvers and a few rock fish. The finally pulled anchor and quickly hit a chicken hole or two on the way back, but we just hooked up on dogfish. I'm thinking if they'd made more of an effort to change fishing spots instead of staying in the same spot pretty much the whole day we would have done better.

Not sure why some charters change from Deep Creek to Seward, the only thing I can think of is folks like the combined halibut silver salmon trips.

I'd take a good boat out of any port, put the effort into getting plenty of solid recomendations. I can understand the concern of shelling over $200 and possibly coming home empty. I think the odds are good you will hook up with most boats. It comes down to a crew that makes the experience enjoyable, and isn't pressuring you to take the first 2 fish you catch and telling you how nice they are so they can head back to port as quickly as possible.

Homer is known has the halibut capital of the world. They also get a good run of silvers.

Whitter scenery hands down, but fishing is spotty unless you travel far out.

Seward you can catch a mixed bag of fish but tend to travel far out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default FYI

I went with an overnighter out of Homer and like they said above, it is the way to go. We booked with Spirit Charters out of Homer and had real good fishing. Phone 1-866-235-1826 ask for Capt. Mike.

You would be hitting Seward at a good time to do a combo trip. They are a blast when you have the silver running you ragged.

The reason they switch is so they can fish for silvers as soon as they limit out on chickens around Seward.
    If you want the biggest baddest chance at landing a barn door go to Homer, period. Seward is a great place for everything but Homer is the best for halibut
    Tennessee

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I decided to go out of Seward so we have the opportunity to catch a variety of fish....I will definitely have to hit Homer the next time I am up north.

Default Homer

Home used to be the Halibut capital of the world......but the biggest but ever caught in a derby.......goes to Valdez Halibut Derby 2006

www.valdezfishderbies.com
    Last edited by akfisherman; 06-13-2007 at 21:52. Reason: year
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Unhappy Number disconnected

Quote Originally Posted by fnd1734 View Post
    I went with an overnighter out of Homer and like they said above, it is the way to go. We booked with Spirit Charters out of Homer and had real good fishing. Phone 1-866-235-1826 ask for Capt. Mike.

You would be hitting Seward at a good time to do a combo trip. They are a blast when you have the silver running you ragged.
    Just as a side-note...I tried the number listed, it has been disconnected. Their toll number is 907-235-3978.

Thumbs up

I see you have chose seward. If you do go to homer in the future i suggest trying Silver Fox Charters. I have never had anything but great luck and great times with them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight