Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DG474 party success

Default DG474 party success

A buddy and I just got back from a successful Kodiak goat hunt. We initially had planned on spending 12 days for this hunt but after only six days and having taken both of our goats we decided to wrap up early and come home to process the meat. We arrived in Kodiak the morning of September 29 and immediately flew out to our hunt area. We set up a 12 person tipi to use as our base camp and spent the first night there, then the next morning we headed up the mountain to look for goats. Within about three or four hours of hiking we found a small band of 6 goats and set up to take a look at them more closely. There were three nannies, two kids, and one young billy in the group. One of the nannies appeared to be very old with super long horns and a fair amount of fur coming off of her right side. We guesstimated her horns to be around 12 to 13 inches in length and splayed out very wide. After about an hour of watching these goats and deciding not to take any, I went ahead and made an attempt to get as close as I could while taking pictures and videoing with my phone. At one point I ended up getting to within about 7 or 8 yards of the group and got some really cool video footage, then I backed off and went back up to where my hunting partner was. After a fairly long discussion about the size and condition of the billy in the group I ended up deciding to take him, and shot him at about 150 yards with a Kimber Montana .325 wsm. He fell where I shot him and we ended up making our spike camp about 100 yards away then went ahead and cleaned him. That night the temperatures got down into the mid 20s so by the next morning the quarters had hardened up fairly well. We divided the meat, cape, and horns between the two of us, and headed back down to base camp. When we got down to basecamp my buddy made a meat pole and I want ahead and split the lips, turned the ears, flashed, and salted the hide down. We hung everything off of the meat pole inside of the tipi with the doors open, but the bug screen zip closed. We had already put a bear fence around the tipi so we figured that was about as good as we could do and headed back up into the mountains to our spike camp. The next day brought a few snow flurries with periodic low clouds and fog. We sat under one of our shelters and glassed about 35 or so goats and a brown bear on the other side of the drainage from us. After a couple hours of watching them we decided to go ahead and check out our side of the drainage a little more to see if we could maybe slip up on something in the lower hanging fog that seemed to be more so around our mountain. We ended up hiking about a mile or so around the side of the mountain and came to another big bowl that had a little over 43 goats in it. Several of the goats that were closest to us were billy's and after several hours of looking at them through the spotting scope, trying to determine which one was biggest, we picked one out and my buddy set up to make a shot. We range him at just under 400 yards but with the angle compensation he ended up being 318 yards. So while I looked through the spotting scope by buddy placed, what appeared to me to be, a great shot on the billy while he was laying down and slightly quartering away from us. All the goats in the bowl jumped up and started running uphill with the exception of the one my buddy shot. He jumped up and ran downhill staying inside of the bowl. I immediately gave my buddy if thumbs up then went back to watching the billy run. He ran just like all the others, not showing any sign of being hit, about 200 yards down the mountain, then stopped and lay down. At this point my buddy looks at me and says "I don't think I hit him, are you sure I hit him"? So then I start doubting what I thought I saw and say, "Man I thought for sure you hit him, but he ran like he wasn't hit". So my buddy goes ahead and sets up for another shot, which at this point we rainge him to be a little over 400 yards away now. My buddy shoots, the billy jumps back up and starts running around the side of the bowl and rocks that we are in, and runs out of sight. We quickly pick up and take off around through the rocks to get a better view of the bottom of the bowl and find him laying down dead near the bottom.
    So, we end up quickly going back to our spike camp, breaking down tents/gear and packing up, and hiking back to the kill. By the time we get to within sight of the kill, we spot a brown bear sow and cub moving through the area at the bottom of the bowl about 100 yards or so from my buddies goat. Fortunately the wind was blowing up the bowl and the goat was downwind of the bears, so they just ended up passing through and moving on.
    We set up our spike camp where the bears had passed through, as it was the only semi-flat area, and offered just a tiny bit of break from the wind, which by now had picked up and was blowing, what we guessed to be about 60 to 70 mph. with a very wet snow and sleet.
    We had brought two floorless shelters for our spike camp, but ended up taking all the guy outs off of one of the shelters and putting them on the other shelter that we would be using that night. So after double guying out everything, and in addition, pulling our baskets off of our trekking poles and using them for additional stakes, where are 9 inch groundhog stakes were pulling out, we finally had a tent set up and secure.
    We then hiked up to where the goat had died and I started taking pictures with my phone, which was the only camera I had brought. Like the idiot that I am, I spent too much time with my phone out, taking pictures, and with all The wind driven snow and sleet, my phone ended up going belly up. At this point my iPhone 5S was toast and all the photos that I had taken, which there were many, along with video footage, was lost.
    We broke my buddies goat down in the dark, then headed back to our spike camp for the night.
    The next morning we woke up to about an inch of snow on the ground and bluebird skies. We loaded our camp up along with the goat and started heading back to our base camp. That day we were unable to make it back to base camp, as we started running out of light and we were pretty whipped, so we stopped along the way and set up our tents for the night.
    The next morning we got up to another pretty decent day and went on down into base camp.
    After leaving the first goat at base camp we had made a call to our pilot and asked him if at any point he was flying over, to stop in and grab our meat to take back to Kodiak and put in a cooler. This had been done, so when we got back to our base camp the meat rack was empty and we went ahead and hung my buddies goat up on it.
    That night we ate both of my buddies back straps, speared with two green alder branches, and cooked over the open fire pit.
    Throughout the entire hunt we had only seen four deer, two bucks and to does, so while we had initially planned on spending some time deer hunting, we decide to bag it and head home the next day. We had, however, seen more Ptarmigan then I've ever seen in my entire life. Fortunately my buddy had brought some birdshot for his .454, and while we were out and about we ended up shooting three Ptarmigan, so we ate those that last night also.
    My buddy had brought a camera along on the trip but when we first got into our base camp, and he pulled it out of his pack, the on button had been activated somewhere in route and his battery was dead. The cell phone he had brought was low on batteries, so we didn't use it much to take pictures, and we were relying, pretty much completely, on my cell phone for all of our pictures. In the end we ended up with only about a dozen or so photos from my buddies cell phone. Here are a few of those.

Fantastic story! For not having many pictures, the ones you have are great. One question.....did your buddy get one hit or two on him?

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by soon2beinAK View Post
    Fantastic story! For not having many pictures, the ones you have are great.
    That's exactly what I was going to say - fantastic story and pictures! Man...looks like an excellent time with good hunting and great company. Well done!

I wonder if it's possible to get the photos and video off of your phone even though it's water damaged. I'm not sure what phones store data on, but perhaps it can be recovered? Curious...

Awesome hunt!! Six days on kodiak a mountains brings back six years onto your life!! Love it!!
    How big are the goats?! The one skinned in the dark looks like a big bugger in the body. Congrats on a great trip!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My buddies first shot was the only one that made contact. Yeah I kind a got sidetracked when writing the story but I cannot express how amazed I was at the way that goat reacted after being shot. Like I said in the story, he jumped up and ran like he wasn't hit when in fact both lungs were blown out along with his quartering away right shoulder. His right shoulder was completely blown apart, and he ran about 200 yards down that mountain like he hadn't even been hit. This was with the same rifle that I shot mine with and shooting 200 grain Barnes Bullets.
    When my phone died I was never able to turn it on or do anything with it. I took it to the Apple Store in Anchorage and they were not able to recover anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Awesome hunt!! Six days on kodiak a mountains brings back six years onto your life!! Love it!!
    How big are the goats?! The one skinned in the dark looks like a big bugger in the body. Congrats on a great trip!
    That was actually the smaller of the two goats. That was my goat I shot and me skinning it. I'm only 5'8", so that's probably why that goat looks big. My buddy is 6'5", so probably makes his goat look a little smaller.lol. My goat is 8" x 5.5", my buddies is 8.5" x 5.5" and his was definitely a bigger bodied goat. Both of them had great hair and I'm really looking forward to the rug that I'm having done with mine. This was my third Kodiak goat hunt, but my first goat. I've been holding out for a billy and this was my first opportunity at one.
    We had days where we saw over 50 different goats both on our side and the opposite side of our drainage. Man, I sure do love hunting Kodiak.

Congrats! My buddy and I went for the same tag, we doubled up as well and brought home 3 bucks to boot! I was only after meat, with plans to sell the hide if we had time and the place to skin the goat well. Ended up working out that way. Buddy shot his largest deer ever and is pretty impressive, wide heavy boned 9 point. Your mountains look too easy for goat country! Hahahahaha, on a serious note, sorry man ya lost your pics and vids!!!! Maybe one day he or I will write up our hunt with pics.

Sounds like a dream hunt, awesome job guys. Would love to do this one day.

From the one pic it looks like you flew into freshwater or did you land in the salt? Great trip and writeup.

Well done Gents, have to love Kodiak!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    A buddy and I just got back from a successful Kodiak goat hunt.
    Congrats and thanks so much for the write up and pics...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    .....have to love Kodiak!!
    I hope I can someday.........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Kodiak goat is one of the best hunts in the state. Hands down. Quality, quantity, scenery, adventure, remoteness.....
    Master guide 212

Kodiak goat is one of the best hunts in the state. Hands down. Quality, quantity, scenery, adventure, remoteness.....
    Then you need to take me next time you go...!!!........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I totally agree, and when compared to most other remote AK fly outs, it's very reasonably priced. This, along with the things you mentioned, and the opportunity to hunt multiple species, makes it one of my favorite places to hunt.

4merguide im gonna need a couple raises before I can afford Kodiak hunts again!!
    Master guide 212

How did you like that ash, stuff gets everywhere!!! Crazy how deep that ash is in spots. Our pics of goats looks like Hawaii with white sand beach around a deep blue lake.

Ash? Interesting, I thought it was sand. This was my first hunt on the north side of the island, I had never seen the stuff before.

Great hunt an write-up! Sorry to hear about your phone. Try giving Cracked wireless a try. They do an acid bath and should be able to get your phone working again. At least worth a try to get those pictures back. Good luck!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Ash? Interesting, I thought it was sand. This was my first hunt on the north side of the island, I had never seen the stuff before.
    Yup, volcanic ash from some point in time, never researched it, but Sea Hawks air's wife was telling me over the phone, but flew w andrews again. She had the same tag and with their experience there, knew about it, I brought it up for some reason and she knew what I was talking about. I called it sand too. Will send ya PM a sometime

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Yup, volcanic ash from some point in time, never researched it, but Sea Hawks air's wife was telling me over the phone, but flew w andrews again. She had the same tag and with their experience there, knew about it, I brought it up for some reason and she knew what I was talking about. I called it sand too. Will send ya PM a sometime
    It's from the 1912 eruption of Novarupta over in Katmai.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast