Thread: Pt. Baker, Alaska

Default Pt. Baker, Alaska

Anyone have experience fishing at Pt Baker in SE Alaska? The wife & I are thinking about going there the summer of 2015. Would like to know how the halibut fishing is primarily. Any recommendations on where to stay would be welcome. Thanks

Sorry, Can't give you any recent reports, last time I fished it was 15 years ago and we caught 80-100 lb. butts right out in front of the lodge.

If coming from Texas, I would look to Elfin Cove in southeast or Old Harbor on Kodiak Is. If set on Pt Baker you have to get the shirt from the Pt Baker bar.

Maybe try looking at Calder Mtn. lodge. Has self and guided options. Been going to POW for 15 years. Same place same time. World class halibut fishing all the way around POW island, east, west, north and south. Pt. Baker is out of the way and secluded if that is what you're going for. Ten minutes out of Craig or Klawock is plenty bush, too. Best of luck.

I have made 2 trips to Woxof Lodge there in Point Baker I LIKE the place. Nice clean, Well ran place, Good home cooked food with no fancy sauces and frilly stuff The skiffs are all Lund and North River with Honda motors. I caught halibut as close as about 125 yards from the lodge We only got halibut to 60 lbs BUT We could have got a SLAB on the next drop, They got a 248 lbs. same spot the day before we got there We also did real well on the rockfish and Cohos to Tell Rob Todd sent you his way

Thanks for the replies, guys. Anyone else have anything to add?

I ran my boat up from Seattle about 7 years ago, and I would rate Elfin Cove as a more scenic location. I don't recall if we fished much near Pt Baker, but we did well at Elfin. In the spring time you are close to the good early king fishing at Elfin cove as well. I am not an expert on either location, this is just my limited opinion.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Woxof Lodge

Lundfisherman my son and I are booked at Woxof Lodge this July 18 thru 25th. I would love to chat with you about the fishing there I've never been.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundfisherman View Post
    I have made 2 trips to Woxof Lodge there in Point Baker I LIKE the place. Nice clean, Well ran place, Good home cooked food with no fancy sauces and frilly stuff The skiffs are all Lund and North River with Honda motors. I caught halibut as close as about 125 yards from the lodge We only got halibut to 60 lbs BUT We could have got a SLAB on the next drop, They got a 248 lbs. same spot the day before we got there We also did real well on the rockfish and Cohos to Tell Rob Todd sent you his way