Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife troopers "floating" tickets?

Default Wildlife troopers "floating" tickets?

A friend of mine was talking to a wildlife trooper friend of his recently. The trooper friend made the comment that other troopers he knew were in the habit of floating tickets, but that he didn't really agree with the practice.
    My friend asked him what he meant by "floating a ticket". The trooper responded that it's the practice of writing a ticket for a rather minor infraction that might be a gray area or not even really an infraction at all, and expecting the person who receives it will just pay it instead of fight it.
    Does this practice seem to be happening more often? If so I wonder if the troopers are receiving instruction to do this, or if they're just Washington State Wildlife Police who have moved to Alaska recently?

I personally have not had any run ins with the troopers
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    A friend of mine was talking to a wildlife trooper friend of his recently. The trooper friend made the comment that other troopers he knew were in the habit of floating tickets, but that he didn't really agree with the practice.
    My friend asked him what he meant by "floating a ticket". The trooper responded that it's the practice of writing a ticket for a rather minor infraction that might be a gray area or not even really an infraction at all, and expecting the person who receives it will just pay it instead of fight it.
    Does this practice seem to be happening more often? If so I wonder if the troopers are receiving instruction to do this, or if they're just Washington State Wildlife Police who have moved to Alaska recently?
    I would not base any type of opinion on the he said, she said type of information gathering. Which is what you have described. Even passing from one person to the next, things get turned, skewed, and misrepresented.

I also think if people are educated enough about the regulations of the area/unit they are hunting, they would easily be able to surmise the trooper was incorrect in giving the citation, and thus would bring that to the trooper's attn...and perhaps the trooper's supervisor as well.

That is my opinion.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

There are a lot of gray areas....I've heard rumors like this before. Gray areas leave wiggle room for troopers to grow or develope a case. Probable cause and so on....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Impossible to say without specific instances. All of my Trooper interactions have been brief, positive and professional.

That said- all of the folks I personally know who received tickets were in clear violation of the regs...and basically knew it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    they would easily be able to surmise the trooper was incorrect in giving the citation, and thus would bring that to the trooper's attn...and perhaps the trooper's supervisor as well.
    I have experienced something like this.....twice. Wrote up by F&W Trooper for non functioning brake light. Grandson and I BOTH check it after he left. Yup, Working. Had quite a b.s. session with him and his supervisor at the office. I already had the ticket signed off at the courthouse and was at the office in less than 20 minutes. Was totally bogus. Got wrote up years ago for driving on the escape route with my park lights on. When I talked with the supervisor about this, he said, "Well I doubt officer 'so & so' would write you up for that." I produced the citation from my pocket. He cancelled it right there.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I worked in law enforcement and corrections for 30 years before my retirement. ALWAYS know the rules and regs so that neither side of the law can bull**** you. I fought the "good" guys and the "bad" guys on both sides!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Impossible to say without specific instances. All of my Trooper interactions have been brief, positive and professional.

That said- all of the folks I personally know who received tickets were in clear violation of the regs...and basically knew it.
    That's been my experience as we'll, always fishing, never been contacted hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    That's been my experience as we'll, always fishing, never been contacted hunting.

Interestingly, I've only been contacted while hunting, never fishing. Have had my tags and meat bags checked 3 or 4 times, and all interactions have been positive and professional. Have never been accused of anything, and never felt like they were on a fishing expedition.

2 years ago while caribou hunting with my grandson a trooper landed at the airstrip right after we got there. He check my tag and made sure we knew that they had closed the cow season already. Also he made sure that I knew that my grandson could use my tag. The trooper was very professional and also took the time to talk to my grandson. In my opinion it was a very positive experience for my 10 year old grandson.

I may be wrong but aren't these types of citations public record that can be searched or requested? If so, I suppose someone could do some digging and find out if this holds water or not. I'm also curious about what the "Washington State Wildlife Police" reference is about. Something going on with them? I've had many interactions with WDFW and have no complaints. There are jokers in every group though I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by alottabs View Post
    I worked in law enforcement and corrections for 30 years before my retirement. ALWAYS know the rules and regs so that neither side of the law can bull**** you. I fought the "good" guys and the "bad" guys on both sides!!!
    There are thousands and thousands of laws and regulations in existence, and for you or any LEO to flippantly demand that people should "know the law" is ignorant and insulting. It is estimated that we all commit multiple crimes every day that we leave our house (Google it), so knowing every law and regulation for hunting might be achievable, but knowing all the others is next to impossible. If you have ever jaywalked, you committed a crime.

Normally I refrain from commenting on things as this however I have to share this and nothing against the Police State, City, etc... I have some very good friends who work in Law Enforcement. Several years ago I had two friends up from Northern CO. we were fishing the Park's Streams and based our camp out of Willow. My wife and son had come down for the weekend so we decided to head up to MT Creek. At the same time the Talkeetna B/G event was going on so heavy traffic from the Cut-Off back to Los Anchorage area. We had completed our fishing, went up to the corners stop at the gas station grabbed some food and headed down the road South back to Willow. Ford F350 4 door, 6 passenger truck with 5 people all in waders with fishing vest on. Got about 1/2 mile down the road and got pulled over. NEW Trooper Snuffy came to my window and I asked was I speeding he said no I was only going 50 then Sir why did you pull me over? Well sir you had your running lights on and that is a sign of Driving under the influence in the middle of day! He then asked to see everyone's I.D. Mind you this was about 2:00PM and it was about 75 degrees out. While I was there two more troopers showed up and pulled over two additional vehicles each happen to be the 4th in line of traffic. Needless to say I was a Lot Pis'd off!!!!! When I got home I researched the exact law and he is correct you should have your head-lights on not your running lights however I did report the Trooper for the simple fact he lied to me and he had no right to ask for everyone's I.D. they had did nothing wrong, there was nothing in the truck that would even remotely cause him to ask that question, it was 75 out we were in waders with fly rods and could without a doubt tell we did not come from the B.G Gig in fact we still had wet waders and wading boots on. Pull me over give me a warning or ticket for driving with my running lights on but don't make crap up fishing for a ticket on a "Grey" area.

If I would have known more back than I would have pushed the issue about being harassed and requested a meeting with his supervisor. Pull me over fine just don't be an ars about it making us wait 45 minutes while you take your time checking 5 I.D.s for no reason give me a ticket and or warning and let me move on.

We should have a subforum for "My buddy said..." threads.

Hearsay is almost as much fun as hyperbole.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

... "floating a ticket"....
    I know a number of them well, and to a man they wouldn't even consider it. They're looking for clean busts, even as many of the guys they bust are trying to cover their social hineys by claiming "frame up" and "gray area."

Sounds to me like the birth of another internet legend.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    There are thousands and thousands of laws and regulations in existence, and for you or any LEO to flippantly demand that people should "know the law" is ignorant and insulting.
    I didn't think it was ignorant nor insulting at all because guess what......the law says IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THE LAW. So although there are a zillion of them, if a guy wants to cover his ass he better da*n well know as much about those that are associated with the activity he plans on taking part in......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I know a number of them well, and to a man they wouldn't even consider it. They're looking for clean busts, even as many of the guys they bust are trying to cover their social hineys by claiming "frame up" and "gray area."

Sounds to me like the birth of another internet legend.
    Are you saying the Mall Ninja did it! Ha ha ha!

I was on my first duck hunt while still young and living in N.H.

I proudly carried my first Duck a male woodie. Got stopped by F&G to get checked out. As he tried to put the 3rd shell in my Remington 870 which had a plug, he then ejected the 2 shells in the mud.

The very next day, same officer same scenario, this time I polietly asked him to pick up my shells, with a great apology he did. He was older than me but still very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I was on my first duck hunt while still young and living in N.H.

I proudly carried my first Duck a male woodie. Got stopped by F&G to get checked out. As he tried to put the 3rd shell in my Remington 870 which had a plug, he then ejected the 2 shells in the mud.

The very next day, same officer same scenario, this time I polietly asked him to pick up my shells, with a great apology he did. He was older than me but still very young.
    Putting a uniform on a jerk won't change the fact that he's still a jerk.

Never understood why people drive with their parking lights on, why not turn the knob one more click to the headlights?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast