Thread: Polaris 550 fan questions

Default Polaris 550 fan questions

Hello all,

I see lots of bad comments about the roughly 2005-2008 polaris 550 fans here and on other forums. How are the 2010 and up 550s doing? I am looking around for a new sled and tempted by the price of the Polaris expedition.

Thanks,
    Dave

I run a 2014 Polaris Voyager 550 144, it's been a great sled so far.

It's good to ask those questions. I quizzed Zach @ Pen Power Sports before buying my used sleds. He told me which ones I should avoid. Obviously some years and models have less problems than others. The 550 fans are sure nice for pulling a sled without the over heating issues of a liquid cooled one. I hadn't heard about any of the fans being prone to problems.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks guys,

I got my machines mixed. That Voyager was what I was looking at. Polaris definately had issues with the 550 previously but I have not heard of complaints about the newer engines. A quick google of "polaris 550 fan" will turn up what I am talking about.

I have a 07 with 4500 trouble free miles(except a jackshaft bearing). One of my buddies has a 05 with 8000 trouble free miles. I've heard 1st hand about the issues but they seem very random. I heard various reasons for it from to tight of tolerences, bad air flow, clutching--Who knows?

i have a 2014 polaris 550, 144" adventure and followed iditarod in about zero snow and rode a total of 1500 miles last year and it worked great. I like that it will take cheap oil ($13 a gallon) and poor fuel unlike some sleds. Will have this sled for several years!!!!!

Dave, I have a 2014 550 Voyager 144" I picked up new last season. I was tired of trying to keep a liquid cooled sled from overheating with our lack of snow. I use it for hauling gear in and out of our cabin at Flathorn Lake, as well as hauling firewood while there. Have not had one bit of trouble with this sled and find it to be a real workhorse (for a 550). It steers easily, rides well and starts at 25 below without any problem. The mileage isn't anything to write home about (12-13mpg) but that's not a big concern. What I wanted was a dependable sled that started easily, cooled well and didn't weigh too much. The Voyager has met all those criteria and should give me many years of loyal service.

Whatever sled you buy, have the stealership throw in a service manual and LEARN HOW TO JET THE CARBS TO THE TEMPS. Any carbed sled can benefit from adjusting the jets during large temperature swings, or when it starts to warm up late in the season. You'll get better power and mileage. It is not hard at all. Besides, you'll know more about your machine.

The 550's are extremely popular out here. Run clean gas, keep the clutches aligned (usually check every 400-500 miles), and you are good to go.

Also, when you buy, tell the stealership what you plan on doing with your machine so they can set up the suspension for you.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming.

Dave

The 550's are great little motors, problems are few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    The 550's are great little motors, problems are few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's pretty much what Zach at PPS told me. There were problems with some of the very early ones, but he hasn't seen more than 2 come into his store for engine problems in the past several years and those could be traced back to operator error.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.