Thread: Can anyone help an oll hillbilly find fish on Paxson Lake this winter..?

Charterboat Operator

Default Can anyone help an oll hillbilly find fish on Paxson Lake this winter..?

Hey guys, Usually over in salt water but ice fish all the time, just don't really post anything about it.. My old man and I really want to go spend 3-4 days at Paxson Lake after driving by it for years on our way up caribu hunting. Any info would be killer!! what all lives in there? Lakers?burbut?rainbows?Pike? not sure? Should i fish drop offs? out lets? in lets? shallow? Deep? Who is the biologist for the area? any way any info would be great, dont need secret numbers.. just a shove in the right direction cheers and thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Lakers, burbot & whitefish. Concentrate on points with multiple holes shallow, deep and in between depths. A flasher (Vexilar) is very, very useful!!

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Lakers, burbot & whitefish. Concentrate on points with multiple holes shallow, deep and in between depths. A flasher (Vexilar) is very, very useful!!
    Thanx for the come back frostbitten, any idea what species all live in the lake in the winter?

I've caught sockeyes at the upper inlet as late as mid September, but other than that, lakers, burbot & whitefish. Theoretically, there should be grayling around, but I've not caught any.

GO to the old campground 100ft out from the point 40-50 ft water ,.jig 5 in. tubes in white or airplane jigs.....for lakers ....bourbot .....

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefisher View Post
    GO to the old campground 100ft out from the point 40-50 ft water ,.jig 5 in. tubes in white or airplane jigs.....for lakers ....bourbot .....
    Whitefisher thanks for the comeback!! love it! will head up and giver hell when the ice alows.. wondering about bait restrictions but all check regs.. cheers man ! really appreciate it!!

Good luck be safe.....

Also try the points near the road on the upper end of the lake. Fairly short walk from the road to the lake.

question question ? is the lodge open now I was told ti was closeing, any input SID if closed where abouts can ,, can you get a room to stay in for ice fishing

I've done fairly well on lake trout in the spring trolling across the lake with spoons and rapallas. I've also caught lakers in the outlet when the salmon smolt are migrating downstream in the spring with my fly rod. I've never ice fished it, but I'd imagine spoons and tube jigs with whitefish or herring bait would be the ticket. Especially around points, drop offs, and horseshoe traps as ambush points for baitfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    question question ? is the lodge open now I was told ti was closeing, any input SID if closed where abouts can ,, can you get a room to stay in for ice fishing
    Yes, the lodge is closed. A way better option (when the lodge was open) is Water's Edge cabins 10 miles further up the road at the south end of Summit Lake. Super nice guy, and comfortable cabins at a fair price.

We usually jig 10 to 15 ft off bottom through the ice with a 3/4 oz krocodile tipped with a herring tail. It's not fast fishing but we normally get 3 or 4 a day if we are persistant