Thread: Situk in November?

Default Situk in November?

Does anyone have intel on fishing the Situk in November? PM if you don't want it to be public info.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

too cold. too dark. you don't get much fishing time.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    too cold. too dark. you don't get much fishing time.
    Best to spend November saving pennies and tying flies!

Bring a surfboard :-)
    Only been there in the spring/summer so I don't know the Situk status in November. Excellent question and I'm interested in the feedback myself.
    I do know there are plenty of waves :-)

Never fished it in the fall, but this spring I had the opportunity to spend a day fishing with Frank Deveraux (jetboat guide). What I heard from Frank on late-October/early-November steelheading (fishing primarily with streamers and aggressive fish often taking stripped flies) was enough to make me really want to give it a shot. Won't happen this year for me, but I want to try it. As mentioned, days are short and you have to be prepared for cold nasty weather... Frank also told of guys getting stuck at 9-mile bridge for days when a November storm dumped feet of snow.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Smile Be ready for cold rain & snow, but good steelhead and silvers can be had

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    Does anyone have intel on fishing the Situk in November? PM if you don't want it to be public info.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    The fishing can be tricky depending on the water and weather, but fishing pressure should be close to zero. I've had most success for steelies on B+W Dolly Llamas, Olive Dolly Llamas, bead eggs, flesh flies (primarily white), and C.H. Olive Woolly Buggers (sizes 2 & 4) with a glow orange or glow pink bead pegged on the line in front of the cone. Silvers like anything black (articulated cone head leech, black woolly buggers, 'Lectric Leech). We've had great success with a fly called the Bead-Sucking Cone Head Leech in Black/Orange from http://www.bristolbayflies.com They call it the "Halloween Fly". Great pattern on the Kenai as well. Good luck and be prepared for rough weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Tyer View Post
    The fishing can be tricky depending on the water and weather, but fishing pressure should be close to zero. I've had most success for steelies on B+W Dolly Llamas, Olive Dolly Llamas, bead eggs, flesh flies (primarily white), and C.H. Olive Woolly Buggers (sizes 2 & 4) with a glow orange or glow pink bead pegged on the line in front of the cone. Silvers like anything black (articulated cone head leech, black woolly buggers, 'Lectric Leech). We've had great success with a fly called the Bead-Sucking Cone Head Leech in Black/Orange from http://www.bristolbayflies.com They call it the "Halloween Fly". Great pattern on the Kenai as well. Good luck and be prepared for rough weather.
    That's some great info....just made my airline reservation for April 30-May 2....are there different tips for spring fishing? What's the better plan, hiking up and wading down the upper or drifting the lower? Or find a way to do both?

I have been to the Situk many times over the years both in the spring and fall and by FAR Nov is my favorite. You have the steelies, dollies, silvers AND some of the biggest best hallibut fishing I have ever seen. Weather can be tad chilly, but I'll take no bugs or people any day. Don't rule out Nov on the Situk!

Just be prepared for possible nasty weather and potential flooding. It can either be rainy as all get out, snowing a bunch or even frozen. Fall fishing down there is a craps shoot. Here is a picture from some flooding in December years ago down there.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/image...iver5fixed.jpg