Thread: Wheel/Tire Questions

Question Wheel/Tire Questions

Okay, have a set of rims that are set up with OEM tires and are 25x8x12 and 26x10x12. My question is, can you mount/use a set of 26x10x12 and 26x12x12 on these rims? I would assume so, but when upgrading OEM rubber, at what point do you need to worry you are to big and what precautions should I be looking for? Or, dos each rig have its own particulars and therefore I should be asking the Dealership? Thanks for any help/education, not sure what I should be looking for...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You also need to know rim/wheel width to see if they can handle going 2" wider, that is asking a lot from a factory wheel. Normally 1" wider can be achieved safely.

Shouldn't be a problem, that's the same move I did with my factory Polaris rims.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You have to be worried about offset. Usually with an increase in width without an increase in offset you have to worry about clearance, usually with the A arms or suspension. I would imagine you will be rubbing somewhere, a wheel spacer can fix this but they do stress bearings.

I went to the dealership...they said max tire front/rear is 26x10x12 unless a 2 inch lift kit is installed. Anything bigger rubs. bummer.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

What brand? I went oem to 27-10-12 and 27-12-12 rear. Yamaha grizzly nothing haz ever rubbed. I put 26x10 and 26x9 on an 01 arctic cat that required spacers though

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    I went to the dealership...they said max tire front/rear is 26x10x12 unless a 2 inch lift kit is installed. Anything bigger rubs. bummer.
    I have a 2012 sportsman 500, I put 25x10x12 on the front and 25x12x12 on the rear, the lugs are 1.5 inches taller then stock as well. The only reason I went with a 25" tire vs the 26 or 27" is the cost. It cost me $70-100 less. My machine would definitely take a 26-27" tire and not rub.

I also upgraded the tires and wheels on my 2000 Sportsman 500 several years ago. 26x10x12 front & 26x12x12 rear. The wheels have some offset. Can't recall how much but the entire machine now sits 4-5" wider.

I rarely have rubbing issues. I will hear it bump the plastic footwell when the front springs really get compressed.

This setup definitely slings more mud as the tires sit out a little beyond the mud flaps.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    What brand? I went oem to 27-10-12 and 27-12-12 rear. Yamaha grizzly nothing haz ever rubbed. I put 26x10 and 26x9 on an 01 arctic cat that required spacers though
    The new Polaris Ace...very flat A Arms and therefore very close to the ground. Typical stock rubber, not what I like. I have not seen this sort of low suspension in 20 years. Hope to head out this weekend for its first run...now got to figure out where to go as there are so many choices...mud, snow, hills, sand, water crossings...may have to do it all :-)