Thread: Divers/open water tips?

Default Divers/open water tips?

First off, thanks for all the knowledge, tips, etc from everyone on this site. Having just moved up to AK, this forum has been a great stepping stone to getting out and shooting some ducks this year! I've attached a few pics from my season so far.

Anyways, can anyone share any tips or advice to get started hunting divers and on the open water? I have no idea where to start, how to spread dekes, what to look for, etc.

Thanks!

BTW, I look forward to meeting some of yall at the DU event on Sat, and the AWA mtg in Nov.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Due Diligence pays off. Nice job!!

Open water divers...first you will need to have a body of water or boat to get you there. Next, would be the spread and decoys. It does not take many to get them to come in. Location is key. points, back water bays or go to where they are..jump them up and they will return in a little while.

Long lines are key and very easy to use. I just went to long lines for puddlers this year and it has saved me a ton of time in picking up and putting out. What use to take 30 mins takes 10 if that. Make sure if your are hunting tidal water that you account for the tide with the end of rope that is going to hold the achor. Another words..if you have a 20ft tide and only put out 5ft of of line to the first decoy he will either look like he is feeding when the tide comes up or he is going to float off with the tide. So ensure you have at least more than enough to account for this.

You should only need 18-24 decoys

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Can you describe in detail for us how you rig your longlines? I know that I will see them in a couple weeks, but good info for everyone.

I still have not dug mine out yet.......tomorrow - after I put a new shift cable on Reel Nauti.

Thanks! When you are talking about divers and open water, do you mostly mean seawater/bays or does this apply to larger lakes, etc?

Later lakes or bays..fresh or salt. does not matter. Concentrate on points leading into or out of backwater bays or back in the back of them is preferred. But as the ducks push in and out they will come by and possibly give you a chance. If you go to the back and push them out, set up decoys..it is a crap shoot on how they will respond. Most will come back in a few mins up to 30mins..but as it gets colder and the winds pick up they will just move to another bay and call it home.

Running long lines: I have four 150ft lines and 6 50-75ft lines. All made of the weighted crap pot line. It overall is a great set up and was shown to me by another long line master waterfowler that hovers on this forum as well.. basically we rig all of our decoys so we can use the Texas rigs or the long ling clips..easy change out and only takes a few mins. I have a 2ft of 300lb mono that is attached to a pigtail swivel on one end that will attach to my key ring on the decoy. The other end has a 5in long line clip.

On the end of my main line. I attach a 3lb weight that is attached to a 2ft section of 300lb mono with a long line clip as well. Here we run into options. If I an hunting really deep water.. I will take one of my 50ft section of long line. attach an anchor and drop it down to the bottom..attach that end to the other end of the 100ft and every 4-5ft attach a decoy..offsetting some as I go. ALWAYS leave an open hole in the long lines...what I mean is after a decoy is attached..go about 10-20ft and then start attaching them again. 90% of the time when the birds come in..they will focus strictly on that empty slot and land right there..so we usually put those on the lines paralleling the bank or in front of us or closest to the hunters.

Patterns..we typically use the F patter and will sometimes use two T pattersn off set. For the most part..an upside down L works with the tail going downwind obviously. It doesnt take that many decoys. Most of the time we are using Goldeneyes and old mallard decoys we painted black and white similar to white wing scoters. Harlys will most often swing wide with the goldeneyes...but will commit. The goldeneyes...well..letís just say its fun..

I'll try to post some pics I have on my phone later..but its pretty easy and not near as difficult or science driven as hunting puddlers. Pretty easy and allot more action if you are set up in the right spot. The great thing about this is you can move quickly to another area and be set up in mins.

Hope this helps.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.