Thread: Making Soup with Moose Broth

Default Making Soup with Moose Broth

Never made a soup in my day but I harvested a young 2-3 year old bull last month and I kept a few bones because a friend in town said it makes good soup making. It sparked my interest and now that winter is coming soup sounds pretty good. My question is how do you make the broth from the bones? Boil it? Any information will be great! Cheers!

Someone has to have a answer to this?

Quote Originally Posted by MntMan69 View Post
    Someone has to have a answer to this?
    I jsut saw this. Did you leave the meat on the bone?

All I do is throw the bone in the stock pot and let it boil for a few hours. I leave the bone in with meat on, and I have pulled bone out and pulled meat off bone.

Then bone goes back in soup with ingredients added. Eat a few days off the soup. Each day it gets better and better.

If you have a crock pot you can throw bone in pot while at work then dump all into soup pot.

Lay the bones on a baking tray and bake at 350 for an hour or so. I like to add some veggies to the bones during the process, celery, onions, garlic, carrots work well. Helps to cut the bones to expose the marrow. Roasting first adds flavor, dump it all into a large pot and add water and slowly simmer for several hours, strain and you have a base. Add potatoes, noddles, etc.. for different recipes.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Lay the bones on a baking tray and bake at 350 for an hour or so. I like to add some veggies to the bones during the process, celery, onions, garlic, carrots work well. Helps to cut the bones to expose the marrow. Roasting first adds flavor, dump it all into a large pot and add water and slowly simmer for several hours, strain and you have a base. Add potatoes, noddles, etc.. for different recipes.
    I may have to try this. Thank You. Never thought about roasting. I just leave the bone in the soup for the whole time.