Thread: Corrosion Grunge

Default Corrosion Grunge

I picked up a used Electra-dyne and davit for my work in slow progress project boat. I was wondering if there was a preferred method, other than the wire brush routine, to clean up and/or inhibit that powdery corrosion I'm finding at all the contact points. It's not all that bad, but I'll have to spend some dough on new parts, etc. to make the thing operational so I'd like to make it as good as I can. Thanks, G.

There are some old threads that discuss in detail with pix what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I picked up a used Electra-dyne and davit for my work in slow progress project boat. I was wondering if there was a preferred method, other than the wire brush routine, to clean up and/or inhibit that powdery corrosion I'm finding at all the contact points. It's not all that bad, but I'll have to spend some dough on new parts, etc. to make the thing operational so I'd like to make it as good as I can. Thanks, G.
    Cleaning connections that are corroded may not be the best thing to do if your wanting long turn trouble free electrical performance. The corrosion has eaten away the surface metal that insure a good low resistance connection and protect the subsurface metal from corroding. Cleaning the connection can remove even more metal adding to the problem. You may also have problems with the wires being corroded not just the connections.