Thread: Protective coating for canoe bottom?

Default Protective coating for canoe bottom?

Anyone have experience with a coating for the bottom of a canoe? I have 2 Old towns that are showing their age. I use them for packing moose out and drag them over rocks/gravel bars. Would something like Gluvit, Coat-it work? Just trying to extend the life of my canoes. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Anyone have experience with a coating for the bottom of a canoe? I have 2 Old towns that are showing their age. I use them for packing moose out and drag them over rocks/gravel bars. Would something like Gluvit, Coat-it work? Just trying to extend the life of my canoes. Thanks
    I think as long as those products will stick to the canoe, they will work. I know they work on aluminum boats.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

I used Kevlar cloth and fiberglass resin on my Cargo bottom and it has worked well for the last 3 years. It also stiffened the bottom and stopped the oil canning on the bottom and added a few knots to top end. I'm running a Merc 9.9.

I put the same thing on the bow of my 16' Penobscot and it works well to protect it for beaching...gotta scuff it up with 80 grit paper before you wet the Kevlar.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I sell a product made by Loctite called urethane sealant part # 39916. it comes in a caulking tube. I used it to repair the bottom of an old zodiac once and it worked great, it is very tough and pliable and will probably outlast the boat.

""" MAX "" at alaska canoe rentals on the moose river, he has a fleet of canoes he rents out , I know he has put some of that type of stuff on some of
    his canoes , an he was happy with have it, not seem him on this forum for a whirle give him a call he is in Sterling AK on the moose river at the bridge I think , he could have sold out an moved on just don't know, SID

I checked the web an the place is still open don't know about MAX give a call

I'm going to try Gator Glide's Gator Base primer on my freighter next year. Supposed to be really abrasive resistant and some what slippery.

It will surely add weight, but properly applied, Gluv it is some seroiusly tough stuff......and slick......as in add 3 mph to my lund with a scratched bottom slick, and has lasted 8 years with outside storage and plenty of rough treatment.. Biggest thing is to prep the area and get it clean, next is temperature, next is to contain the edges as the stuff goes on like honey and takes a while to set up so if you want to avoid runs or drips you find some way to stop that with tape or perhaps camper shell liner so it forms a dam when the stuff runs. But, if it's just for the effect and not the looks......smother it on and it will self level very nicely.

has anyone used the "Flex tough" product they use at AK raft??.. I want to put a coat on the bottom and sides of my PR-49.... or something..

My canoe could also use some filling and a coat...

Max used truck bed liner I looked at his canoes after he had them on a while looked new and it looked good. Tough section of rental area in his
    backyard he taped the edges and did keels as I recall very professional looking. Going from memory here but I was impressed. Gluvit works well also
    but do not think it would hold up as well, but probably not slow boat down very slick, smooth.