Thread: Back At The Table: Making .338 A-Square Brass Is A Pain...

Default Back At The Table: Making .338 A-Square Brass Is A Pain...

Alrighty then;back into the story. A couple of weeks ago I sent a die back to CH4D to have it looked at because I thought the radius at the neck/shoulder may not have been properly made. Well I found out I was in the wrong, not the manufacturer. Take home message: Read The Instructions.

1. Lube and run into forming die.
    2. Trim and run into neck ream die and ream.
    3. Run into full-length die and load'em up.

I tried full-length sizing without reaming = bad; the thicker brass was causing the little imperfection at the neck/shoulder. Oh, the die I received back from CH4D is in fact polished to a gleaming surface inside.

So since I had a free day I reamed 50, formed, flashhole deburred, .378 Weatherby cases. Now I am trimming them. Yes, I didn't read the instructions. But it's working. I will note that .378 brass takes significantly more effort to make the final shoulder push-back in the full-length sizing die. Next time I will buy more .338/378 brass.

I only have 46 more to go. Then I'll ream the primer pockets and be ready to load. A pain, but it sure is fun. When my arm gets tired from spinning the trimmer I read a chapter of my latest fav book.

I hope to load some shells next week and ladder-up IMR-7828, RL-25, RL-33, and Retumbo to see what gives me a good combination of pressure and accuracy.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Read The Instructions.
    Red Green said it best:

I'm a man,
    But I can change,
    If I have to,
    I guess.

Good post with lots of insights for anyone reforming brass. Some are easier and some aren't. But there's always a harder way to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There's always a harder way to do anything!
    Now there is wisdom!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Default 338-06 brass

It is simple. Take fired 30-06 brass and run it into your sizing die. This is no big deal, I promise. J.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    It is simple. Take fired 30-06 brass and run it into your sizing die. This is no big deal, I promise. J.
    s

338-06 is not the same cartridge as 338 a-square.........a huge difference actually

nitro has it under control

Quote Originally Posted by mtbikeguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    338-06 is not the same cartridge as 338 a-square.........a huge difference actually

nitro has it under control
    A while back, I got sucked into this thread in the same way...deleted my post when I realized my mistake. Yup, 338-06 "A-square" (or not), is not the same animal as "338 A-square".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    A while back, I got sucked into this thread in the same way...deleted my post when I realized my mistake. Yup, 338-06 "A-square" (or not), is not the same animal as "338 A-square".
    I know I fell on my face (informational post-wise), by not showing before, during and after photos of the cases. I will get a couple of fired cases from a fellow I know who has a .378W. I'll get them up so folks can see the difference.

The .338'06 is a near duplicate of the .318 Westley-Richards but with vastly easier to find components.