Thread: advice on duck hunts / outfitters

Default advice on duck hunts / outfitters

Guys, I am looking to get my son out on a duck hunt. I have been doing some research on the forum as well as google trying to find a good opportunity to get him on some birds. Short of flying to Kodiak, any advice? There are some outfitters but I can't find anyone that has been out with them. When I ask for references they just asked "do I want to go or not"? That doesn't work for me. Has anyone had a great experience with an outfitter that they would be willing to share?

Sounds like you need to get involved with AWA..

Buck in Homer is a great guy and will treat you right. Not allot of guides in Alaska in the valley area. Most are down south, Cold Bay, islands and Homer.

How old is your son? What species are you trying to target? What experience are you looking for in a duck hunt? Lots of questions to cater to specific needs.

H
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The only thing I am targeting is the experience. My son is 16 and just this year expressed some interest in duck hunting. I just want to get him in some good shoots, not really targeting any specific species. I am just not aware of any good opportunities down here on the peninsula. We have gone out a few times locally and done some jump shooting. But just not enough action to hold his attention. Since he has expressed interest, I want to try and put him on some ducks so it may become a life long passion. AWA maybe in our future. Thank you for your response.

I can get you in touch with some guys down there that might be able to help. Little late in the season..but always a chance they are willing to help out in getting a youngster on his first duck.

Thats just a small part of what we strive to do...good stuff and great memories.

Email me at Alaskadh01@gmail.com I will forward your request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Avid outdoorsmen View Post
    The only thing I am targeting is the experience. My son is 16 and just this year expressed some interest in duck hunting. I just want to get him in some good shoots, not really targeting any specific species. I am just not aware of any good opportunities down here on the peninsula. We have gone out a few times locally and done some jump shooting. But just not enough action to hold his attention. Since he has expressed interest, I want to try and put him on some ducks so it may become a life long passion. AWA maybe in our future. Thank you for your response.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Second on Buck down in Seldovia...He really has it dialed in. We have gone out with him several times and have really enjoyed it. Can be cold, but really a unique hunt that you can come home from with quite a few species of birds and have plenty of action. Accommodations have always been nice.

PCnAK

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice.