Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convince me what gun I need

Default Convince me what gun I need

I am itching to get a new gun, just not sure what I want exactly. Here's my criteria. I'm looking for a bolt action, center fire, no bigger than .325/8mm. I already have guns in the following cartridgrs. 243win, 270wsm, .308win, 30-06, 325wsm. I've already had .338 and don't want to go any bigger than my .325. The obvious choice is something in 280/7mm caliber, but I'm also kind of intrigued by .260rem cartridge. I'm not looking for a specific weight right, I have light mountain guns already. I also don't want anything with a real short barrel. I am not brand loyal, although I am fond of Winchester and browning. I prefer stainless, but blued could work too. So what say you? Spend my money, what would you get?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

6.5 X 55 Swedish

264 Winchester mag, 7mm STW. Try a good 25-06 Remington. ALL are or seem to me accurate to way out there. AS for getting, the 1 that seems to caught your interest at this time. Wish you well.

Maybe in a CZ 550 full stock

Dude, you have a full house already. Throw the money in the bank for a rainy day
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Ppsh-41 in 7.62x25.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Tikka T3 Sporter in 260 Rem... Then a 6.5-20 scope.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Looks like you pretty much got it covered. Spend your money on good optics if you haven't already......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Dude, you have a full house already. Throw the money in the bank for a rainy day
    I agree but yet I do the same thing. If I were you I'd spend the money on ammo. I know that's not the answer you want to hear given your question so I will say I will second the 25-06.

Supposed to be a ton of bullet options for 7-08. I think 7-08 or .260, but man you've got everything covered.

Maybe the Swedes so they're at least exotic and different.

Quote Originally Posted by abreitzm View Post
    6.5 X 55 Swedish
    Took the words out of my mouth!

Since you have the 270WSM and 325WSM...why not pick up a .300WSM? It has pretty much become my "go to" rifle in the last several years.

Sure, it won't do anything your 30-06 won't do, but that could be said of a lot of what you've got.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Spend my money, what would you get?
    I'd get a 6.5x55 SE/SKAN in a stainless M-70, or Sako, or Sauer, or CZ, and launch 1.4" long 140 grain bullets at 2700 fps.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by abreitzm View Post
    6.5 X 55 Swedish
    Great choice, or perhaps 6.5 Creedmore. Ruger makes one in the American line, as a predator rifle.

I'd be looking at a stainless Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm rem. mag. Perfect timing, too, as the Hornady 162gr A-Max is back in production.

Hoose, what you need is something chambered in 26 Nosler. Nosler Custom M48 might be the ticket to fill your 6.5 attraction. Perhaps a Cooper in the 26 Nosler.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I am itching to get a new gun, just not sure what I want exactly. Here's my criteria. I'm looking for a bolt action, center fire, no bigger than .325/8mm. I already have guns in the following cartridgrs. 243win, 270wsm, .308win, 30-06, 325wsm. I've already had .338 and don't want to go any bigger than my .325. The obvious choice is something in 280/7mm caliber, but I'm also kind of intrigued by .260rem cartridge. I'm not looking for a specific weight right, I have light mountain guns already. I also don't want anything with a real short barrel. I am not brand loyal, although I am fond of Winchester and browning. I prefer stainless, but blued could work too. So what say you? Spend my money, what would you get?
    I'd encourage you to buy a .223 Remington and a couple thousand rounds of ammo. Shoot it all you can. They're a ton of fun. They're relatively cheap to shoot. Your marksmanship will definitely increase, irrespective of your current skill level. There's no reason to buy something else for hunting, though I'm not saying that there aren't other suitable rifles to own and shoot, just that a .223 will put more rounds downrange for less money and with more fun than all of your other rifles combined. I'd be looking for something with at least a 1:9 twist to make the most use out of available bullets. There are a lot of options, but that's what I recommend for the most return on your investment.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I'd encourage you to buy a .223 Remington and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.
    Great recommendation. You've got big game covered and then some, but what about predators? A .223 or 22-250 would even out the stable with a good gun for coyote, lynx, and fox.

Honestly, though, with that kind of gun safe I'd sell one or two and buy a bow. Or get some flying lessons. Or...there's a huge list of other things. I like my guns, but I only need enough to get the job done. To each their own, though.

6.5x284 Norma.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd be looking at a stainless Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm rem. mag. Perfect timing, too, as the Hornady 162gr A-Max is back in production.
    Exactly what I was thinking! I like the 264 win mag option too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast