Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Fearnot's and their Spring trip home

Default My Fearnot's and their Spring trip home

We spent our Spring inthe camp we preferr, a few miles from the Ocean, and had a good Spring makeing up a couple loads to take home to store and distribute/trade with.
    My mom had a slight stroke and some other health issues, and we moved her up to our house this late June, so I wasnt along for this ride. I had things to do here at home, and I heard this story. The pictures speak for themselfs

After catching a couple young Oogruk and a couple Ring Seals, they went back to camp and made them into meats and oils, then packed up and called it a Spring. As they were leaveing the Spafafriaf Bay, head tward Chamisso Islands, the winds came up and up and waves with it, so it was to the beach Agnes took them, putting up a camp and hauling out, for 6 long days.....Not fun untill the second day when a Walrus came into the now ice packed inlet they had shelterd the boat in and they Mosinized it properly

Later, in the waves and wind, they spyed a washed up "Stinker", rotten and grey. When the tide went down , the ladys got its head.

Loot from the Ocean, The Walrus heads from theirs and a couple "Stinkers", dead ones that float out of the winters ice at break up. All Walrus lose their heads, every one of em

Loot from the Tundra while hunting around, they collected and cleaned 9 lbs of Muskoxen wool 'Qivuit', supossed to be worth some real$ buy the ounce.

They not only made it home just fine, they did so and Mom and daughters in days of high adventure!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Pretty dang cool...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Awesome!!!

Man, that is just incredible! What an amazing lifestyle!!

While the trip looked to be good, it was even better to see that the young ones were being taught the 'old ways' and hope full they will past this on to their children! Good work!

Yes quit the life style and it must be a happy one for your family seems to be always smiling.

Just Agnes and the girls...... now THAT lady knows what she's doin'...!!!

"Loot from the Tundra while hunting around, they collected and cleaned 9 lbs of Muskoxen wool 'Qivuit', supossed to be worth some real$ buy the ounce." Looks like $40 an ounce or more from what I can google on it. Score!

What a great trip they had! You are truly a blessed man. I love the picture by the meat rack; its hard to tell whether it was taken yesterday or 100 years ago (except for the hoodie)

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

She made an adhoc rack for the Walrus, as she had a couple really windy days to butcher and hang the meats. She was stuck on an Eastern shore with a NW wind, 25-40mph.

They dug 2-3 feet down to the permafrost and lined the holes with contractor grade trash bags, then filled them with blubber and let them render, stirring over a couple days. Then the oils/blubber went into a couple Igloo boxes and 2 15 gallon Rubber maid trash cans. She buried 1/2 them after freshing out the holes and dividing the goods into two loads.The holes were scraped to the permafrost proper for chillin' and grass lined, then willow'd and grass woven into a large lid to allow it to breath, and let it vent, then sodded and then log Tepees put up to keep the critters out. They were fine when we returned a couple weeks later and ate them this summer.

They wallowed along , just a few yards off shore, for 9 hours to Kotzebue here they dropped 2/3s of their load, then, back on plane, and more gas available, they made a day of trips back and forth to our lower camp some staying with the boat, some staying and putting the loads to the storage we have there...then the last day and a straight shot from Kotz to here, they pushed onto home, bringing the heads last

The Tundra can give you food and preserve it too. I wish we had a deep cold cellar to fill down there, I just might need to dig one someday, they are quite handy..... like a walk in refrigerator

Excellent! You are most certainly living the good life.
    "Grin and Bear It"

What a trip. Our kind of ladies, workin and smiling. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Beautiful children!

MMMMMmmmmmmm...seal....the other dark meat....mmmmmmmm...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

that is awesome, always love reading your stories and hearing your insights on things.

Great story, you'll have to keep us updated always enjoy reading about how everyone hunts differently.

Absolutely great story and pictures. Thanks a lot for sharing a glimpse of your life stranger.

Sure hope moms ok now. Family adventure great as always.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Indeed........sure sorry to hear about your mother Chip. Hope she's on the mend......

Thanx, 4merguide, and Im glad to write that my mom is on the mend, and Ive set her up in her own little warm and cozy house here, with lots of helpfull grand kids till shes more fully mobile.

Im glad you all liked the story here, indeed, I wish I had been along, but theres next Spring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast