Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is he?

Default How big is he?

IMG_1361.jpgIMG_1358.jpg
    And how much did he weigh?

story to follow as soon as I all my mussles stop throbing.

Nice job Mallard. Good looking 9 3/4, eh?

9'? I've got no experience in judging goats, though.

Congratulations! Looks like things worked out well!

11.5 and 185 pounds.

One of the hardest hunts I have ever done. Spent the first night in40mph winds, rain that came down in sheets and fog so thick that we couldn'tsee more than 50yds 99% of the time. It was the only chance I had to fill thistag so we decided to walk the knife ridge of the bowl and hope to jump one. Onthe peak of the Mt. I called my uncle John to get a weather report and wasinformed it was going to get worse the following day (if that was evenpossible). After the call I walked 100yds and looked over the edge and therejust happened to be a small window in the fog and right below us were at least6 goats laying down. we dropped our packs and moved into a position to lookthem over. It took a long time to decipher nannyies and billies then try and determinehow big each billie was, due to the fact that everything in the fog looks likeking kong and we could never see two of the billies at the same time. Wedecided on which one was going to be the shooter and I moved a little closer.The first shot rang true right through his shoulder and he dropped like a rockwith his feet in the air. We revived our packs from the top of the ridge andmade our way down to see just how big he was. When we got 50yds away I saw hishead move, this had been about 30min from the initial shot. Then he stood up and did a 180 and started headingfor the edge of the cliff that dropped off 800-1000ft. I put another shot through his other shoulderand he went down again, yet only for a few seconds and he began to get back upand hobble toward the ledge again, another shot through his shoulder and he appearedto be down for good. We gave him 15min and made our way down to him. There appeared to be no life left in him butwhen Jeff grabbed his horns he came back to life and nearly gored Jeff. A few minutes later and it was all over. Now the reality that I had just shot a horseon the back side of a mountain set in. We boned him out and made our way backup to the ridge in the dark 250ft strait up in the dark (my head lamp was lefton the top of the ridge) took us an hour and a half. We had a mile to go to get back to camp andin the dark and the fog (the fog was so thick that it would light up in theheadlamp beam and we couldn’t see more than 10ft. We left the hide and 30lbs of meat on thepeak and made our way back to camp. 2.5 hours later we were at the tent. Went to sleep for a few hours, then back upthe mountain to retrieve the rest. Back atcamp we refueled and loaded our packs. We were both unsure if it was doable inone trip and after falling twice each just trying to stand up (with help fromeach other) it looked impossible. Weleft camp at 1:45pm and hit the road at 8:30pm, that was two days ago and everymuscle still aches and the bruises on my back and shoulders seem to be gettingworse, but it can only get better. When wetook it into the bio he was very excited and said even though he was broomed onone side he would defiantly make the all-time book, not that that is why I wasgoat hunting but kind of neat. He alsowas very interested in the hooves that were ivory. He said he had never seen that before andactually tried to get one off me, sorry buddy but I packed those off themountain and they are mine now. I can’tsay enough tanks to Jeff for being my Sherpa on this hunt, very few peoplewould endure that much pain for another. My pack weighed out at 133lbs and Jeff’s was 148lbs. we had 107lbs of boned out meat, minus the30+lbs of bloodshot from both shoulders, and the hide and head were 57lbs.
    9.5yrs old
    Left side 10 15/16in
    Right side 10 8/16in and broomed
    Baces were both around 5 ˝ -5 3/4in

Thanks for taking the hard hunt and leaving the easy one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    9.5yrs old
    Left side 10 15/16in
    Right side 10 8/16in and broomed
    Baces were both around 5 ˝ -5 3/4in
    Congrats on such a nice goat...!!! Where was the hunt....KP, Kodiak, SE...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

IMG_1364.jpg
    Here is a pic of one of the hoves. I couldn't get both hands around the bace of it.

4mer- SE

He's a beaut! While I appreciate the horns on a mature billy...It is the hair/hide that is the trophy! Those animals are absolutely crazy - the places they go...

Congrats on a hard earned trophy!

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Awesome! Love the big goats!! I guided a guy to one that had white hooves on only the back feet....
    Thanks for posting the weights on your pack out!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

9.5 for age. What an old bruiser! You certainly earned a great trophy. Are you going to mount it so the very unique hooves will be displayed? Congratulations!!!

The first shot rang true right through his shoulder and he dropped like a rockwith his feet in the air. We revived our packs from the top of the ridge andmade our way down to see just how big he was. When we got 50yds away I saw hishead move, this had been about 30min from the initial shot. Then he stood up and did a 180 and started headingfor the edge of the cliff that dropped off 800-1000ft. I put another shot through his other shoulderand he went down again, yet only for a few seconds and he began to get back upand hobble toward the ledge again, another shot through his shoulder and he appearedto be down for good. We gave him 15min and made our way down to him. There appeared to be no life left in him butwhen Jeff grabbed his horns he came back to life and nearly gored Jeff. A few minutes later and it was all over.
    They are some tuff critters aren't they? What'd you hit him with...???

btw.......sure glad he didn't go over the edge.

congrats are in order for sure!!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Congrats! Nice to see a goat that didn't slide 1000' down a shale slide on his face! I hate repairing "mountain rash" on these beautiful animals.

I was shooting a 7mm mag with 175gr.

I have had a couple offers from businesses to pay for a full mount if they could keep it in thier store/bar. I don't have room for a full mount in my house. With most of my other critters I just get them tanned and have them on couches, chairs, and in the kids rooms. I've thought about doing a half mount but with a hide that large I think it would be a shame to cut it in half. As of now it is getting tanned so I have some time to think about it.

Nice goat! Congratulations! Yes, the hooves look way too cool to be giving any up...aren't you getting the hide tanned with the hooves attached?
    "Grin and Bear It"

Yes the hooves will stay on the hide.

As soon as I saw him I guessed SE! What a freakin hog.

Did you score him yet? Looks like he'd be just under 50"

I was shooting a 7mm mag with 175gr.

I have had a couple offers from businesses to pay for a full mount if they could keep it in thier store/bar. I don't have room for a full mount in my house. With most of my other critters I just get them tanned and have them on couches, chairs, and in the kids rooms. I've thought about doing a half mount but with a hide that large I think it would be a shame to cut it in half. As of now it is getting tanned so I have some time to think about it.
    Well you can always do a life size rug......you know head mounted, with hooves as well, and put him up on the wall. Personally that's what I've always really liked because you still have the whole animal / hide. Yeah.....unless you can do a full life sized mount, you really don't wanna be cutting a beautiful thing like that in half......imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast