Thread: Delta Bison tips

Default Delta Bison tips

My daughter had the Delta Bison tag last season. Took us about the whole season to get her bull. Learned quite a bit and had a lot of help along the way. So, it's time to give back!
    First group of hunters should have started on Oct. 1. Hunters are grouped by the order their name is drawn and then about 15 hunters start each Sat. until all are able to hunt. This is completely unconstitutional IMO. One group of hunters, the first, get a full 40 days of hunting that the last group does not get!!
    First tip: Make sure you have the green map of farm property boundaries along with the names and ph. numbers of the owners. Get it from Delta F&G. This is the most valuable piece of info you can have. It is not 100% correct on who owns which properties, but it is close. Other owners can help you get the right names and owners and I still have all the info I gathered from last year.
    2nd: Make friends with F&G staff and the Wildlife Trooper in Delta. Darin, the bio, was very helpful, and the Trooper was born and raised there. Don't be afraid to call and ask for any tips they are willing to provide. Darin will get calls from landowners sometimes, complaining about Bison on their property. Art Cummings, the Trooper, lives east of Cummings Rd. and drives it regularly to his office, as well as flies the trooper cub off his private strip at his house.
    3rd. Last year was a warm fall. The Tanana R. was open in to early Nov. There were several groups of Bison on the river (both myself and friends did flying in the area). Reports this year I have gotten show less Bison there, but I would bet there are some. Not sure about ice in the River yet, but boat based hunts would have been successful last year. If you can't use the river, check with landowners whose property borders the river. Bison will feed on these properties and rest on the river or in the timber between the farms and the river. Properties 7-11 that border the river would be good bets I think.
    4th. The Panoramic Field. There are almost always Bison in or around that field. It is a huge area. If your coming from a long ways away and have little info on other hunt area, like the farmlands, I would consider trying to camp (yea I know, it's cold) in or on the edge of that field. Stay quiet and check the various fields regularly. You can 4 wheeler or snogo thru the area, but the animals will get skittish from motorized noise. If you don't want to camp, stay at the Silver Fox Inn. Just east of the Inn is a gray metal building on the S, side of the hiway. That is F&Gs building, I think, and there is a trail from it right in to the middle of the Panoramic.
    5th: Silver Fox Inn. Best place to stay and very reasonable. Your right in the middle of the hunt areas.
    Lastly, Google Earth is your friend!

This year the permits are either sex, so the opportunity to score is considerably greater than when we hunted.

I'll quit there. I have more, but that should get tag holders that read this site a start.

Good Luck!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What a great post. Rep coming.
    If I ever draw this, I will come back and reread the o.p..
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Boat trips are out. Tanana is running slush and ice.

Talked to Darren today... 7 checked in so far, so the season is off to a running start. Also- we've got about 10" of snow that fell last weekend. Some warm temps will flatten it some but not too long and wheelers will be tough going.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Just returned from hunt of a life time. Camped out at the end of Panaramic Field in hopes of seeing a large bison wandering out in a mile long field to feed. After patiently waiting for four day a nice bull finally presented itself.
    First weekend of our hunt my daughter and I witnessed numerous vehicles patrolling the fields. Wasn't until we got dumped on by snow and everyone left that the fields came alive with wildlife!! Amazing less than an hour after the second snow storm we saw all kinds of animals and tracks. Bear, wolf, lynx, coyote, fox, weasel, spruce hen, rough grouse, moose and of course bison. Just being there and witnessing nature at it's best was the ultimate highlight of the trip. Even witness blood moon at 2:30 in morning with chilly Temps hovering around -9 at sunrise. TRULY AN ALASKAN ADVENTURE of a lifetime
    Best of all was able to share this experience with best hunting partner ever.

Nice! We went up last weekend and it really did seem like a hurry up and wait game! Lots of tracks but didn't see any bison. A few nice moose and TONS of tracks! Looks like little later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdap View Post
    Just returned from hunt of a life time. Camped out at the end of Panaramic Field in hopes of seeing a large bison wandering out in a mile long field to feed. After patiently waiting for four day a nice bull finally presented itself.
    First weekend of our hunt my daughter and I witnessed numerous vehicles patrolling the fields. Wasn't until we got dumped on by snow and everyone left that the fields came alive with wildlife!! Amazing less than an hour after the second snow storm we saw all kinds of animals and tracks. Bear, wolf, lynx, coyote, fox, weasel, spruce hen, rough grouse, moose and of course bison. Just being there and witnessing nature at it's best was the ultimate highlight of the trip. Even witness blood moon at 2:30 in morning with chilly Temps hovering around -9 at sunrise. TRULY AN ALASKAN ADVENTURE of a lifetime
    Best of all was able to share this experience with best hunting partner ever.

My friend just bagged a pretty nice bull this morning. I have been hearing they are moving from accross the river and heading for the farmers fields. Please if you are going to hunt the farmers fields check with them and ensure you are hunting legally and ethically. We don't need any more black eyes with the farmers.
    Steve

Time to give Diane a call and line up a hunt on one of her farms to those with tags.

I think Diana's fields are mostly fenced off. The dynamics of this hunt is changing rapidly....be flexible!

I'm seeing bison nearly every day but not seeing much for hunters......?????

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    I think Diana's fields are mostly fenced off. The dynamics of this hunt is changing rapidly....be flexible!

I'm seeing bison nearly every day but not seeing much for hunters......?????
    Help these guys out...............Vern, where are you seeing Bison?
    Unless some fence was put up over the summer, the Schulz U and N tracks are not fully fenced and Bison travel thru these tracks and do feed in them also. if hunters got the map and owner list from ADF&G, the Schulz phone number is on there.