Thread: Kodiak, Port Lions ATV Deer Hunt

Default Kodiak, Port Lions ATV Deer Hunt

Me and some buddies are planning on doing a deer hunt out of Port Lions later this month on wheelers.
    Anyone here done that before? Any tips? What the terrain is like? Pictures?
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=port+lions

Bring leather gloves for grabbing brush as you climb and climb high! Check the saddles and bowls on top.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Thanks for the tip.

Don't do it. Save your money for a fly out hunt on foot. You'll be much happier and probably a lot more successful.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Don't do it. Save your money for a fly out hunt on foot. You'll be much happier and probably a lot more successful.

The trip is already a go. And we have done a lot of research, I just haven't talked to anyone personally who has done it. I know people do it. Have you tried it on wheelers out of Port Lions, you weren't successful?

Make sure you have the land use permits from whichever native corp runs it over there as well. But, I'd go elsewhere if it were me
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks akiceman25,
    That link helped a lot.

I used to guide in that bay. Knowing the country and stories from others who have done the trip I haven't heard great things. But if it's all set as a go, might be a little late to ask about it! Lol
    Make sure you have land use maps and permits if you need them. Late oct can be a really tuff time for deer down there. Visibility can be very limited. Try to get as high as you can and stick to your glass. The deer often won't jump, they will freeze up and just watch you go by....but dang, have fun with your buddies!! Enjoy being out there and going for it!!

If you get stuck in Kodiak, maybe head out olds river towards lake miam for deer and registration brownie. One deer limit, but that's about all I'd be hoping for outa port lions. But....you may hit it right on. And I'll eat my words! Lol
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by sledrider_907 View Post
    Thanks akiceman25,
    That link helped a lot.
    You're welcome. Let us know how you do.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I have friends there & do know the locals hit it HARD (it's a backyard hunt) & obviously have home court advantage. He told me I was always welcome to come & use one of his machines but not to have great expectations.
    That said, I agree with Jake. Have an awesome adventure with your friends, & if you make meat so much the better!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I have friends there & do know the locals hit it HARD (it's a backyard hunt) & obviously have home court advantage. He told me I was always welcome to come & use one of his machines but not to have great expectations.
    That said, I agree with Jake. Have an awesome adventure with your friends, & if you make meat so much the better!
    Yup, Jake is DA MAN for that area, and your friends are right on. With access to a boat, we just sail right on past that area without looking back. Depending on wheelers for your fun means about a zillion locals have already been there ahead of you. Two feet open lots more country and a lot better hunting, as well as getting you out of the one-deer limit.

But the tickets are bought and you're all set, so learn what you can while you're there. Dollars to donuts, you'll come back to Kodiak, but without the wheelers.

Oddly enough I saw another post this year where someone asked for advice, was told not to do it, then went and did it. Posted a report that it didn't go so well. Now we have a post askin about a trip already booked...what's going on these days?!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ...what's going on these days?!
    May be longer than that. These queries are kind of annual event here on the site, with guys going anyway against the advice they get, then coming back with their tail between their legs. And then it happens again the next year.

Bottom line:

A wheeler isn't going to manufacture deer where there aren't many.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Believe me.......neither are your feet where there aren't any........lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    May be longer than that. These queries are kind of annual event here on the site, with guys going anyway against the advice they get, then coming back with their tail between their legs. And then it happens again the next year.

Bottom line:

I've found here that my ATV get me to way less deer than my feet do. So much so that's it's been in the garage since last summer.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts