Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Back n Black update

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    Fished Monday of this week, left the harbor at 11, had the gear put away by 1!
    Which boat is yours Redleader? I'm thinking I walk past it on the way to mine judging by your background scenery.
    Very nice! I'll try tomorrow...I think. Hopefully the roads cooperate. Much scarier than the water!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Fished Monday of this week, left the harbor at 11, had the gear put away by 1!
    Which boat is yours Redleader? I'm thinking I walk past it on the way to mine judging by your background scenery.
    Nice job, what a haul!

New toy to try out next week!

New toy to try out next week!
    Nice!! Can't wait to see the results!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Nice!! Can't wait to see the results!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    Attachment 81773Attachment 81774Jamie!! We have been using our troll pro for a few years now!! Its a blast, It has been in ling cods mouth's, halibut have grabbed it and shaken it!! salmon will come up a nose the red beeping light from the go-pro!! Its a blast, im just waiting to get a salmon shark to bite it well i have it inline with the gear so we can ride along on the fight!! I have shark strikes on camera but only them pulling bait outa clip.. You will want to bring your PC along to upload your footage at sea other wise you will have to wait till you get home as the go-pro will not blue tooth to your Iphone threw water.. I have mine set to ether ride inline on a down rigger ball or ride in between the leader and the main line when using heavy gear for sharks and halibut!! you will find once you drop bellow 15 fathoms even on sunny days you will start to loose viz.. Be stoked to see some of you footy!! Cheers

Right on! Yeah, I'm stoked to give it a try. A buddy of mine glued it up for me and I bought the hardware (we made 2).
    I through bolted the two eye bolts to one of those really long nut sleeves and then lock bolted it together. So I will clip the downrigger cable to the top and I got a cannonball snubber to go on the bottom to the ball. And then run the clip off there like normal.
    Have you tried any of the lens filters for the camera? I ordered the red filter which is supposed to increase visibility, but only way to know will be to try it out!
    I'm hoping it's not too short, I thought about getting a PVC coupling and making the nose end another 3 inches longer kinda like the troll pro design, but I think at our lower trolling speeds it shouldn't wobble too bad.
    I'll probably leave my laptop at home since I can just watch on my phone with the wifi (when it's out of the water) but maybe I'll take it to check the difference with and without the filter.

Haven't seen many pics from the last few days, you takin it easy on em or what?

Default Back n Black update

One thing I'm actually really looking forward to seeing is how the gear moves in the water. Spin and up and down but also how the different rigs move in relation to each other during turns and that kinda thing. With my downriggers being mounted fairly close together I have to make reeeeally wide turns to keep from A-holing my gear.

The ole Huntress turn-on-a-dime maneuver isn't in my bag-O-tricks!

Charterboat Operator

Right on! Yeah, I'm stoked to give it a try. A buddy of mine glued it up for me and I bought the hardware (we made 2).
    I through bolted the two eye bolts to one of those really long nut sleeves and then lock bolted it together. So I will clip the downrigger cable to the top and I got a cannonball snubber to go on the bottom to the ball. And then run the clip off there like normal.
    Have you tried any of the lens filters for the camera? I ordered the red filter which is supposed to increase visibility, but only way to know will be to try it out!
    I'm hoping it's not too short, I thought about getting a PVC coupling and making the nose end another 3 inches longer kinda like the troll pro design, but I think at our lower trolling speeds it shouldn't wobble too bad.
    I'll probably leave my laptop at home since I can just watch on my phone with the wifi (when it's out of the water) but maybe I'll take it to check the difference with and without the filter.

Haven't seen many pics from the last few days, you takin it easy on em or what?
    I dont think it will wabble at all jamie, that bell housing design around the camera should pull nice and true threw the water. Yup took it easy this weekend and worked on ice fishing gear and sleds getting things ready for our first road trip north. Im headed out this morning tho to pic up you guys scraps, Hope to have some pics for ya tonight.. And no I just took the camera outa the box and threw it in the troll pro and sent it dwn.. no filters would love to check out your footy. cheers

Charterboat Operator

One thing I'm actually really looking forward to seeing is how the gear moves in the water. Spin and up and down but also how the different rigs move in relation to each other during turns and that kinda thing. With my downriggers being mounted fairly close together I have to make reeeeally wide turns to keep from A-holing my gear.

The ole Huntress turn-on-a-dime maneuver isn't in my bag-O-tricks!
    Ha!! I still cross em up once in a while, my deck hand hates it when im on my phone and not paying attention.. witch is most of the time

Captain Nemo, You have footage like that and you aren't sharing? C'mon Man!!! lol.

Thankfully you are still posting. Getting depressed on watching all of the fishing boards go from crazy to nothing in a span of a few weeks.

It is interesting to watch your gear. For me, it wasn't anything like I thought it was going to me. Everything seemed to move a lot slower than I expected. My only concern is I have heard a few folks say that Kings are a little camera shy. I'll definitely play with the underwater stuff during the hardwater season for sure.

Everything seemed to move a lot slower than I expected.
    Interesting insight. I've noticed that when I have the gear up near the surface where I can watch it, movement is pretty "active." But as I lower it down, the deeper it goes the "slower" the tip bounce on my rods. I always wrote it off to line drag simply masking what was really going on with the gear, but now you have me wondering. All I can say for sure is that the gear I've seen in other posted videos is usually moving less than what I see near the surface with my own. And I thought I was one of the slowest trollers on the water!

You've really got me wondering now if what I see up near the top is due to some kind of extra resistance at the surface due to chop or something. My brain usually won't let go of things like this, so darn you anyway!!!!!!

Charterboat Operator

Captain Nemo, You have footage like that and you aren't sharing? C'mon Man!!! lol.

Thankfully you are still posting. Getting depressed on watching all of the fishing boards go from crazy to nothing in a span of a few weeks.

It is interesting to watch your gear. For me, it wasn't anything like I thought it was going to me. Everything seemed to move a lot slower than I expected. My only concern is I have heard a few folks say that Kings are a little camera shy. I'll definitely play with the underwater stuff during the hardwater season for sure.
    Ha!! I wish i was as savy as you when navigating threw the uploading process of and transferring go-pro footy to my PC.. Some day we will learn.. Nothing pic worthy from yesterday.. a few fish here and there.. not much for size.. All be deck handing on the Silver Beach today.. Huntress will be parked.. Lill different trolling off a limit seiner!! should be fun!! cheers

Couple kings out there today on the V V
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Interesting insight. I've noticed that when I have the gear up near the surface where I can watch it, movement is pretty "active." But as I lower it down, the deeper it goes the "slower" the tip bounce on my rods. I always wrote it off to line drag simply masking what was really going on with the gear, but now you have me wondering. All I can say for sure is that the gear I've seen in other posted videos is usually moving less than what I see near the surface with my own. And I thought I was one of the slowest trollers on the water!

You've really got me wondering now if what I see up near the top is due to some kind of extra resistance at the surface due to chop or something. My brain usually won't let go of things like this, so darn you anyway!!!!!!
    Nice fish Hoose!!!

Brown bear, I've give it some thought and I don't think water pressure or density of water is the cause. But I've reviews some more underwater footage and my gear definitely seems to run faster at boat side.

I need to spend sometime actually recording a lot of the variables and see if I can figure it out.

I have a few things I might try. But it all gets in the way of catching fish!!!!

More reports Capt Nemo!!! Lol.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com

Default Back n Black update

Lacked in numbers, made up in size! Good day out there despite the ominous marine forecast.

Got a couple hits on the gopro, will have to sift through the footage this weekend.

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 81832Attachment 81833Jamie!! Way to go Hoss!! Great looking fish!! Sry i have been out of touch.. computer has been screwed up!!any way here is the past three days of my life... first off great trip aboard silver beach on Wednesday!! short run just a few hours of fishin and we were done!!

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 81834Attachment 81835And yesterday... I know its not saltwater related.... I was hitting first ice on one of our peninsula lakes working bugs out of ice gear and way-layin on some Bows...

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 81837And finally today!! I went out to charge battery's on Huntress and get ready for the next few days charters.."by my self" and put one rod down of the end of the spit well i cleaned up cabin and oiled floor, and caught 3 kings and 100lb halibut in less the a half an hour on a flasher and spoon set up!! "no Bait"" Love this place!!! Straight salmon trip tomorrow full boat!! and salmon-salmon sharks on sunday!! Stay tuned for pics good luck to all and safe boating!! cheers

You are a Fishing machine Capt. thanks for sharing the good times.

Charterboat Operator

Attachment 81868Attachment 81869highlights from yesterdays trip.. always fun getting a 75lb halibut on trolling gear!! my lady's out fished the guys once again aboard the Huntress!! hooked 8 and boated 6 kings for the day but also had halibut, rock fish and grey cod in the tote when we got to town.. all in all not a bad lill Saturday.. Safe boating to all. Cheers

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast