Thread: How to winterize a dredge?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default How to winterize a dredge?

How does one winterize one of these honda keene motors from mining & diving?
    I tried to Dragon water out of the pump by gravity. Do I need to pull it off? Anything else for that motor?
    Thanks

My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

All I did was to make sure there was no water in the pump. If you think there's still water in there add some RV Antifreeze to the pump just to be safe.
    You should also drain the carburetor.

Thanks, I also need to learn to pan better. I found this the second time I panned my material.

How much did you get the first time and are you adding water softener to the water?

Don't keep that little stuff. Throw it in a pail and I will dispose of it for you. :-)

If you want to practice panning. Hammer 4-5 pieces of lead shot flat. Throw it in a pan of gravel and see if you can retain all of them. Lead is lighter so if you can keep that.... your gold finding days will be better.

You might need a partner next year too. Someone with another dredge, a 4' sluice and 4 gold pans.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Yes some RV antifreeze should solve any issues if you are not positive you got all the water out.
    Also you might put some stabil in your gas.
    Man that is a lot of missed gold. And some pieces big enough that they should not have been missed easily.
    Do you have a dedicated cleanup device or are you just panning your concentrates out?
    like Dave said practice, practice, practice.
    I always double check my cons and for me it is rare there is even a spec in there when I do.
    Isn't there a GPAA chapter in your area?
    I know in my Kenai chapter we sometimes do classes on how to run the various pieces of equipment and they have hosted panning classes before at Sportsmans warehouse.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the help, this whole thing is new to me. It sort of fell in my lap in June. Summer was so busy I accumulated a few buckets of pay dirt in my garage, taking up parking.
    Chris, what do you mean by a dedicated cleanup device? I've priced out gold wheels and I'm not sure if I'm that dedicated to this hobby yet. So far I've screened and panned everything. I'll look into gpaa.
    Dave, my two productive trips came from cache Creek. I think the guys name is Ken, he charges $20/day per person for high banking and gets you a pile of dirt with his loader. We had a good time both trips, but I'm not sure how much we got because I'm struggling to clean it. I've watched some YouTube videos on panning, I'll try the lead shot too.

I have a gold buddy as well and a small cleanup device made from rain gutter and ribbed rubber matting. I bought mine for $20 but you could make your own easy enough after seeing one in person.
    The gold buddy is a recirculating device I bought at a decent price minus the pump which I sourced online.
    If you go often it is nice to have a device that is made for cleaning up cons.
    A pan works well and I have gotten fairly proficient with one.
    But if you acquire a good amount of cons then you should have a way to process those at home.
    I pan my cons onsite just enough to ensure I am still getting gold and roughly how much.
    I place it all in one bucket just for concentrates.
    Then I take it home and when I have more time clean it up completely.
    More time spent digging stream side usually equals more gold so finish processing at home makes sense.
    It need not be expensive but cleaning up fine gold is much easier with a device made for the task. Something you can feed a scoop or spoonful at a time and let it do the work for you.
    By the way Ken is a nice guy he attends my GPAA club meetings sometimes.
    You need not be a member to attend meetings but after a couple you may decide to join anyway.
    It might be fun to have a forum member gold outing sometime. Just a thought.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

My final cleanup is a rain gutter also. About 3' long with a low height rubber matting on the bottom. There is a hose connection at the top of the upper end and a baffle that the water hits. So you can change the angle, water flow and get a nice cleanup. You get a good visual of the process too. Spoonful at a time and it works well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Preservative oil in the crankcase and spray in the combustion chamber with the piston at the bottom. Don't move the piston again.