Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argo owners

Default Argo owners

I took the boy out last week with the wheelers to do some glassing for bears. We got about a mile down the trail and buried the wheeler in the first floating bog swamp. Long story short, it sucked getting it out, the swamp was ground into a brown oatmeal looking peat water mix, you know what I'm talking about.
    Anyway I'm sick of it, I want something that does better than the old swamp lites on my Foreman, and am thinking an Argo with tracks, winch, etc.
    Are there other choices I am not aware of in the realm of swamp capable buggies? Does the floating bog stick argo's too, or do they ride the top of it in most cases? I just gathered my info from an 80's friend who had one, I was always impressed back then, so that's why I am asking for personal experience in the muck.

I talked to a guy who used to run argos. He said they'd always be buying new parts - or just buy two so you have extra parts. Lots of parts. Maybe the new ones are better? They have to float better than a wheeler.

With a set of tracks maybe. Without tracks my 6x6 Ranger will go more places than my argo did. They have their limitations as well. And ride rough and slow. Like was said too. If you think wheelers are high maintaince, wait til you get an argo! They all have their pros and cons.

Hey there Mark,,,, I was where your at, about 5yrs. ago now, and this is where I'm at today.-[see attached]- The only thing better IMHO, is a Super-Cub, add Wheel-Skis, Floats, or Tundra Tires,,,,

Attachment 81248

If you would like to further this conversation, I'd be happy to give you my thoughts, and experience accordingly, PM me.
    Also take a look @ -[youtube, Rockdoctor07]- , he is in BC Canada.
    That's my Story, and I'm sicking to it.
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

We got passed in the swamp this year by an Argo on tracks and a couple grizzlies with tracks. The couple in the Argo looked warm and dry. The kids on the grizzlies were having a ball. I ride a big boss and could not keep up with them.

Sent when I should be doing my chores.

Those that are looking for that 'mythical' machine that will not get stuck in Alaska, might as well be looking for the 'pot of gold' at the end of the rainbow. Depending on where/how one drives, all machines can get stuck. It is better to pay attention to where one drives and attempt to avoid those areas can could be a problem. We always travel in pairs and ensure that one machine stays on 'firmer' ground just in case.

I'm impressed as heck with a buddy's Argo....you could stick it- particularly in stuff that isn't really liquid enough to float in and isn't really solid enough to ride on but we recovered a moose for a guy out of a place I'd never consider on any wheeler. Ever.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Down side to Argo includes: very low to ground and doesn't do ruts well; wide wheel base, bad with ruts; floats real easy, so no crossing moving water more than 20-36 inches deep without tying up; very slow; ride is rough/stiff/unforgiving; steering levers can wear you down; low to ground; need to take a saw to widen trails that 4 wheelers made as you are to fat; not a fan of side hilling on them, but better feeling than on Ranger; VERY expensive for the market; first generation models prone to break, break, break...ones less than 10 years old Much better in many ways.

Up side: goes through swamps like no tomorrow; enclosed cab can be heated and has defrost if you want; hauls two men, camp and a whole moose with one trip (done that more than once); fairly quiet; roomy; will climb up a vertical wall with the right winch set up ;-) well, it seems like it!

Best of both worlds...take an Argo on tracks and at least one "proper" wheeler. If you get the wheeler stuck, the Argo will pull it out in a heartbeat. If you get the Argo stuck, the wheeler can assist in the winching to get it out. Each does things a little different, that is why I like both in the field.

Not saying I am an expert, but I know what works for me. I went on many hunts with a friend who had an Argo for about 15 years. He now has a Ranger with upgraded Swamp Lites and won't trade back to the Argo. I have a Arctic Cat 500, Manual tranny, with slightly over sized Swamp Lites and I "floated" over the peat bogs like I was almost on air. In Low, Diff Lock on, I crawled over huge rocks on a steep incline without effort while a buddy flipped his Suzi 700 over backwards (no injuries and machine not hurt). I did not get stuck once this year, then again I "picked" how I went through swamp crap. Only time I winched up was on a steep, short, uphill, on a S turn where the front end wanted to come over backwards. My buddy on the 6 wheel Ranger did it with assistance, but the front wheels were 2 feet off the ground (with 4 wheels in back on the ground, he was safe).

Just some observations. Whatever you choose, it will be the right decision. Argos on tracks are great, but lots and lots of other choices out there. Stay away from old Argos though unless you have a big tool chest and parts to take into the field :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks for replies guys. I have walked the wheelers up huge hills, stacked rocks on the racks to help prevent flips, pushed and winched them through bogs, I am ready for a change, and an Argo with tracks is looking pretty good too me.

We are very experienced, but the trails I have been trying to access, for the last few years, always stop the wheelers. I know at least two places where there are huge bears way up the trails somewhere, that I encountered while kayaking certain streams, and one surely has my name all over it, if I can ever get there. Anyway I would like to revisit the area with more than a can of bear mace, and a kayak paddle, my 416 comes to mind. lol

I'm all ears, and appreciate the info, it has been 25 years since I rode in an Argo, so an update on the products is helpful.

The "upgrading" will never end. I got a 4x4 then the 6x6 so I could go further. Next is a set of tracks for the 6x6. But until then, if the wheelers won't take me, my hip waders or Danners will :-)

There is always the grown-up argos also.

If you set up an argo 8x8 correctly, add some durable parts and the correct tracks, there is not much it can't do if you're familiar with how to deal with rivers, steep climbs, trailbraking ect. Serious range, serious comfort...and not much else that's practical can touch it. You can really open up the map and start having "adventures." In all honesty, you really shouldn't even need to tow a trailer. I've had lots of these 8x8's and every time I "downsize", I always end up getting one again.

I picked up a 2013 in October of last year and have nearly every option on it. I've put it through a lot of tests, and keep pushing the limits and the beast hasn't skipped a beat. It is amazing the places it will go and the things it will do. I plowed with it all last winter, and explored a lot of areas this spring and summer. It busts right through black spruce forests, climbs mountains, side hill isn't much of a problem, running on ice is a little slick, but I just ordered up the ice cleat kit. I haven't had any problems with ruts or getting high centered. We just finished installing brake/taillights and a 30" light bar on it tonight. No mechanical problems so far, it has run perfect. Came with a 2 year warranty. I shopped around and bought it out of state and shipped it up. Saved a load of money that way, but I did try to do business in Alaska first.

Here's a video of climbing a long washed out hill this spring. Our trail had ruts up to three feet deep on one side. Much steeper than the video makes it look. I slapped a GoPro on the front and went for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Here's a video of climbing a long washed out hill this spring. Our trail had ruts up to three feet deep on one side. Much steeper than the video makes it look. I slapped a GoPro on the front and went for it.

gnarly climb. the ditch at 12:58 might have stopped most wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Hey there Mark,,,, I was where your at, about 5yrs. ago now, and this is where I'm at today.-[see attached]- The only thing better IMHO, is a Super-Cub, add Wheel-Skis, Floats, or Tundra Tires,,,,

Attachment 81248

If you would like to further this conversation, I'd be happy to give you my thoughts, and experience accordingly, PM me.
    Also take a look @ -[youtube, Rockdoctor07]- , he is in BC Canada.
    That's my Story, and I'm sicking to it.
    what are the tracks you have there?

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    what are the tracks you have there?
    sh,,,, here you go, give Tim a call or email for more info:@ -[adairargosales.com]- This Track is used spring thru fall, then I go to my 18" Rubber factory Tracks w/ Ice cleats for Winter/Snow, and I also run his Track-Tuners-[2-per side, center]- with both set's of Tracks, I don't run just the Tires--"EVER", if it weren't for the Track Choices, I don't think I'd be running an Argo, IMO, they are pretty much "useless" for what and where I go, with out Tracks Installed.
    And I've been messing-around with different flavors of Argo's since the Mid-70's.
    "TG"

Attachment 81541Attachment 81542

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    sh,,,, here you go, give Tim a call or email for more info:@ -[adairargosales.com]- This Track is used spring thru fall, then I go to my 18" Rubber factory Tracks w/ Ice cleats for Winter/Snow, and I also run his Track-Tuners-[2-per side, center]- with both set's of Tracks, I don't run just the Tires--"EVER", if it weren't for the Track Choices, I don't think I'd be running an Argo, IMO, they are pretty much "useless" for what and where I go, with out Tracks Installed.
    And I've been messing-around with different flavors of Argo's since the Mid-70's.
    "TG"

Attachment 81541Attachment 81542
    thanks for info, I would like to chat with you someday about argo's, tracks, and all that jazz...

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    thanks for info, I would like to chat with you someday about argo's, tracks, and all that jazz...

Yea, Any time,,,, Chat away.
    "TG"

I am in the long term market for an argo. I was wondering how far you go on a loaded down trip on one tank of fuel. Say your going 40 miles back behind eureka on tracks, how much fuel would you take?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast