Thread: Only being able to hunt moose in unit 13 Definition/RC566

Default Only being able to hunt moose in unit 13 Definition/RC566

This has probably been talked about already but i couldnt find anything so here goes. If i apply for the RC566 caribou tag do i have to use it or can i change my mind and hunt elsewhere as long as i dont fill the caribout tag? I hunted unit 13 this year but was unsuccessful in filling my caribou and didnt get a moose either. I came home to wasilla but still had a couple of weeks left till the september 25th closure here in unit 14 and wasnt going to get a chance to get back up and hunt the denali before it closed. Could i have hunted locally or does applying for the caribou tag automatically force you to hunt 13 no matter what?

My understanding of the regs is that if one applies for and gets a permit for RC566, that everyone in that family can ONLY hunt moose and caribou in Unit 13. If one wants to hunt in other Units then do not apply for RC566, it is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    My understanding of the regs is that if one applies for and gets a permit for RC566, that everyone in that family can ONLY hunt moose and caribou in Unit 13. If one wants to hunt in other Units then do not apply for RC566, it is that simple.
    Exactly right.

Like others have said, you (and anyone else in the household) can only hunt moose in unit 13 for this regulatory year no matter if you were successful or not. Simply the act of applying for the tier I unit 13 hunt (RC566) creates that limitation. It has nothing to do with whether you actually hunt for it or not. That is the tradeoff you are choosing to make when you choose to go for the guaranteed RC566 permit. If you had the option to hunt it or not or to go somewhere else if you were not successful chasing your caribou in unit 13, everyone and their brother would be putting in for the guaranteed permit. For those of us who wanted the option to possibly hunt other places, there is the drawing permit option.

EDIT: If you look at page 4 of the Tier I/II supplement, it is pretty clear. It states in bold: "By applying for RC566 you agree to all of the permit hunt conditions below:" The 2nd - 5th bullet points specifically address hunting caribou and moose outside of unit 13.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/li...supplement.pdf

Nope. Its very clearly stated, and no means no. One reason for doing this was to put a limiting factor on the number of applicants to the permit. If you receive the permit, your moose and caribou hunting, for you and your household, will be conducted in unit 13. Even if the caribou hunt is shut down before you're able to hunt.

Thanks for the replies guys I thought that was the way it was but i couldnt find it clearly stated but i am glad i asked i didnt read the part where my whole family had to hunt moose there too. My daughter just completed her hunter safety course and i was thinking of putting her in for some cow tags next year but now i know better.

Quote Originally Posted by awwu View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys I thought that was the way it was but i couldnt find it clearly stated but i am glad i asked i didnt read the part where my whole family had to hunt moose there too. My daughter just completed her hunter safety course and i was thinking of putting her in for some cow tags next year but now i know better.
    That is where the games begin. Is it worth it to you/your family to get the one guaranteed caribou permit through the Tier I system and be locked into hunting moose in unit 13 or would it be more valuable to have the opportunity to hunt other areas and be able to put in for other permits in other units? All part of the decision process come November/December.

Seeing i have been skunked two years in a row on the caribou i'm thinking just hunt up there with my buddies and fore go the caribou tag now that my daughter wants to get into hunting.

AWWU: Where and how have you been hunting caribou in Unit 13? While it might take some 'luck' at times to get caribou, normally this is a good hunt for young people to get started. For us, in the last several years(we have been hunting Unit 13 for over 30 years) there has only been two years that we did not get caribou.
    However, there are good reasons not to apply for RC566, if one has other areas that offer better hunting. It does seem that there is a lot more people out hunting so finding the 'right place' could be a challenge. Good luck no matter what direction you take.

Seeing i have been skunked two years in a row on the caribou i'm thinking just hunt up there with my buddies and fore go the caribou tag now that my daughter wants to get into hunting.

We normally hunt on the paxson side of the denali but the river we cross has been too high the last two years. My buddy lost his mudpro down it and recovered it about 500 yards downstream totaled. So last year was a bust with nothing harvested and this year we did harvest a moose but i only saw a total of about 10 caribou all which were miles away and no chance to catch up. We usually head up a couple of days before moose season and spend a week hunting and that is the only time i head that way so if we dont get anything that week then i go without meat. I will head up for the winter hunt if they open it up but if they dont then i might head up earlier next year to at least try and get a caribou then go back up for moose later.

i might head up earlier next year to at least try and get a caribou then go back up for moose later.
    That will most likely give you the best shot in the future. While the Paxson area is great to hunt, you may want to expand your horizons a bit.Last year with all the animals down inthe southern areas cost those of us that hunt the north a chance at the second season. We had draw tags so did not have the ability to move around.

Hunt early and you should be able to tag out each year, and...mid august meat is the best, with March meat coming in a close second. Used to hunt out in King Salmon years ago, would always go in late March and April, fly out shoot, return and repeat. Loved those days when I could fly there for $20 rt.

We attempt to get up on the Denali highway about the 25th of Aug and plan on a long stay. Most of the 'crew' that we hunt with are retired and have no time line to be back. We set up the motor homes, as base camp, and hunt or spike out from there. For us we get a chance to look for caribou early and then start on getting a moose, after the 1st of Sept. We also have different people that come up for a day or two, depending on how much time they have. If we have any game meat, they can take it back home, that way we do not have to worry about any of it going bad. Last year we spent three weeks up there. This year we were ready to stay until the 20th of Sept, but we got our caribou and moose early, so it was time to come home.

Default So which moose permit?

I understand the RC566 rules as it relates to hunting Caribou

So for moose it limits me to DM325, DM 335-339, registry for spike fork

Correct?

My understanding is that hunts DM335-339 are for nonresident only! This means that 'residents' can not apply for this hunts!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeak View Post

Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeak View Post

Correct?
    If you are a resident (assuming so if you are applying for RF566), then there is only one moose permit you can put in for which is DM325. The only other option for moose is the Harvest Ticket moose tag ONLY in unit 13 (spike/fork, 4 brow tines, 50"+)

Thanks to the last two posters. Yep I didn't look at the details of DM 335-339 so didn't catch that those were non-resident. Thanks for clarifying.

Draws are in guess we will try RC566 this year and hope for dm325 or alternatively a harvest ticket

Well there is also the bison one........

I decided to for go the caribou tag this year and put my daughter in for some moose tags I figured hunting with her would be a bigger reward than getting a caribou. So now that i have done this a world record will walk by the tent when i am up on the denali this year so she better draw a tag so i dont have to torture myself.

Does your daughter live with you? If she does, those moose tags Made a Nice donation

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Does your daughter live with you? If she does, those moose tags Made a Nice donation
    I posted the same earlier, but deleted it after I re-read his post. I had read it as he decided to "go for" the caribou tag as opposed to "forego" the tag. If he didn't apply for the Tier I tag, he's good. If not, then you're right - his daughter falls under the same Unit 13 restrictions.

Incidentally, in future years you (awwu) could apply for the Tier I tag as a guaranteed hunt for your daughter. Any household member can hunt under that tag - not just the head of household. I don't apply for the Tier I tag currently, but probably will in the years that my boys turn 10.

Yeah i decided to put her in for some moose tags instead. The area we hunt in denali requires alot of fourwheeling skill that im just not comfortable with her trying.