Thread: Puffy Jacket Help

Default Puffy Jacket Help

I am searching for a puffy jacket, here is the issue. I am 5' 8" 290lbs, but have a very long torso. I need a 3x jacket, but am afraid most of them are going to be too short. I ordered a Eddie Bauer First Assent jacket that was about 2 inches too short. I don't want to go through the process of this again. I believe the length is 27 inches, so I really want a 30"+ length. I found that Kuiu and Sitka make 3xl, but have heard that they both run small. I need a true to size with the length. I also would prefer a hood, but that is not a must. Any suggestions. Thanks

A lot of those companies are obviously aimed at long/skinny people like mountain climbers and sheep folk.

I would think something from Filson, Cabelas, REI, or a fly fishing company might be more likely to fit your dimensions.

Maybe check the REI and Patagoina jackets at REI.

(For the record, I am not a long/skinny mountain climber so am somewhat familiar with similar issues)

Being a big guy myself (though I've lost 30 lbs since I've moved up here), I understand your frustrations. I'd stay away from patagonia. That stuff is for skinny big guys

Does it have to be a puffy jacket? Would a large heavy jacket work?

I'm in between a XXL and XL. I bought a Marmot zeus down jacket as my mid layer/zero degrees and above puffy jacket. I wear a rain jacket over it to keep wind off. I found the Marmot stuff to be the longest, of the stuff I tried on. But I think Cabela's big stuff might be ok as well. I've never worn it, but what I've seen it looks like it would be good for the big guys.

First Lite Encomphagre- XXL and you should be fine. They run big.
    I have a 54 inch chest and I have plenty of space.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

3rd generation cabelas big and tall guy here. Havent found anything yet that is cut longer than than anything branded with cabelas name on it. All my shirts and jackets come from them. As did dad and grandpa. Proudly still wear 2 of grandpa's old down jackets from Cabelas.

I am slightly smaller than you. 5'10" and 275. I finally gave up on any of the name brand outdoor gear choices and bought a XXL Reg U.S. Military ECWCS III level 7 jacket. It's heavier than most of the puffy coats out there, but it gets the job done well. It's my go-to winter jacket . I bought mine off of Ebay.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Try a Frontier Gear of AK Barney's jacket. Very warm and lightweight.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I am slightly smaller than you. 5'10" and 275. I finally gave up on any of the name brand outdoor gear choices and bought a XXL Reg U.S. Military ECWCS III level 7 jacket. It's heavier than most of the puffy coats out there, but it gets the job done well. It's my go-to winter jacket . I bought mine off of Ebay.
    Excellent suggestion. The military ECWCS III (Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System) level 7 (refers to order of layering) jacket is also available in "long" sizing. Yes, a bit heavier than comparable down fluffy jacket, but still relatively light/compressible and made with high quality synthetic insulation that dries more quickly and provides some warmth when wet. The matching ECWCS III level 7 pants make for a great combination and are much easier to find. I got mine from a Anchorage Army surplus store. Huge variance in pricing and condition, so shop around.

Finding this jacket in XXL will take some patience. The pants are readily available. Since these are designed to be a 7th layer, they are cut large. I have all the fluffy "down" filled stuff, but prefer the ECWCS for hard use reliability and better performance if they get wet. Predominate color of jacket/pants is light gray. I wouldn't doubt there are comparable civilian fluffy jackets made with quality synthetic material at some price.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I am searching for a puffy jacket, here is the issue. I am 5' 8" 290lbs, but have a very long torso. I need a 3x jacket, but am afraid most of them are going to be too short. I ordered a Eddie Bauer First Assent jacket that was about 2 inches too short. I don't want to go through the process of this again. I believe the length is 27 inches, so I really want a 30"+ length. I found that Kuiu and Sitka make 3xl, but have heard that they both run small. I need a true to size with the length. I also would prefer a hood, but that is not a must. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Might want to give these guys a call....??? http://www.golite.com/mens/jackets-vests/insulated
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I bought Level 7 jacket and pants a couple years ago and down to zero...it's great for sitting on the stand. If I'm moving at all, it's too hot very quickly...at least for me.

It was designed to be removed as a layer when you start generating more body heat thru activity. I made a mistake with a dead deer last year where I only had a Merino wool tee shirt on under it and when I got to sweating dealing with the deer, I was wet and cold quickly without the Level 7 layer...it was a bout 10F at the time. So I'll being more layers this year so I can regulate temp better...live and learn...hopefully. YMMV.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.