Thread: Limbsaver or other gel pad freeze or fail in cold?

Default Limbsaver or other gel pad freeze or fail in cold?

Just wondering if anyone has had a recoil pad with the gel in it burst or leak etc. due to the cold. If so, how cold was it?

Mountaintrekker

Over the years I've not seen any burst failures. The limbsavers, and any rubber or gel pad will get "stiff" when frozen. Probably any temp much below zero F. and they will harden up.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Over the years I've not seen any burst failures. The limbsavers, and any rubber or gel pad will get "stiff" when frozen. Probably any temp much below zero F. and they will harden up.
    Agreed.
    Good pad but does get hard in the cold. Some of the medical sorbothane pads, pinned to the shirt, help as an added recoil pad when the Limbsaver hardens up. The good thing is, they are fault thin.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

"Harden up" is a polite way of saying below +40*F they start to become stiff, and by +32*F they are hard, and around +15*F they are a block of plastic attached to the butt. If you want to go out in the cold use a rubber pad like the Silver's or a ventilated pad.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...