Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM 424 help

Default DM 424 help

I have spent 9 days so far hunting Ft. Rich, and can't seem to find a bull to save my life. Can anyone with experience in the archery side of ft rich offer some advice?

Where have you been hunting? I went with a friend a few weeks ago off Bull Dog trail and he killed a bull a hour later. Have you asked the biologist where the successful hunters got their moose?

I don't think you can receive pj's yet. I got mine in area 425 there were bulls there along with mine but my hunting time on ft rich was limited. My total time hunting this tag was less than an hour.

I have hunted 411, 412, 413, 418, and 425. Spent 3 days in 425. I saw a few cows, but no Bulls. I am going to try 426 tomorrow if it's open....maybe up higher is better.

Killing Bulls in less than an hour....wow. Did you stay near the roads? I have been going into the woods, and nothing after over 70 hours in the field.

Are you calling?

Yea, bull calls during pre rut and cow calls last week. Maybe they don't like my voice. Has anyone had success in 426 (off arctic valley rd)?

In 70 hrs have you called in a single moose? If not you might try watching the Love thunder and Bull movie. In that area you should have had some Bulls come in during this time if doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrash brush like a crazy man. We got some responses from bull grunts the last day of season but the one we called in from ~500 yards out responded most aggressively to brush thrashing. He sounded like a D8 coming across the mountain!

Tracked 6 miles of trail in 426 today above snow line. Crossed only 2 sets of tracks (snow was 48 hours old and tracks looked to be 24-48 hrs old). Not much sign for that amount of terrain. Just did short bull grunts looking for a reaction in case I got within earshot of a harem. Guess I didn't. Tomorrow I'm going to try the mtn bike routine in 425 if it's open.

Flyster....I learned from that video years ago, and still call the same way. It has worked for me in the past at Eklutna and on Elmo, so not sure why it's not working on ft rich.....

4 more days of hunting this week. Had one bull come in to 50 yards responding to brush raking, but he would not come out of the heavy brush. Other than him, no moose sightings.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I have spent 9 days so far hunting Ft. Rich, and can't seem to find a bull to save my life. Can anyone with experience in the archery side of ft rich offer some advice?
    I had the archery permit last year and LOVED IT. I do not have the map with the Ft Rich TAs on it with me at the moment, but I'll try and dig it up this weekend and share my experience. I took the first shot opportunity offered, which was a young bull at 12 yds...Easiest moose I will ever get.

Do NOT give up!

Berto, can you give me a call at 223-2877 to chat? Would love to hear your story. Thanks-steve

Razor,

Any updates on your hunt? We seem to be seeing more moose in the neighborhoods off bulldog trail. This snow would be an ideal time to follow some fresh tracks.

I hunted DM427 in 2011 and saw a lot of animals in 425 and 426 on the bull dog trail.

Spent two days last week on a bike in 425. Wandered into the woods regularly to try some calling as well. Saw one cow. No Bulls. Was dying to get on the new snow, but had to work.

Two days in a row now the military has the entire hunt area closed.

5 days in a row now....all areas closed

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    5 days in a row now....all areas closed
    Razor I just found the message you sent a while back I didn't see it on my phone and rarely use my computer anymore and for some reason I never got a notification you had sent anything. I didn't ignore you.
    I can't really give much input on the base hunt because I hunted less than an hour total. I do know there are more bulls in there because I could hear them grunting while I was cleaning mine. Keep at it I hope they open the hunt area up soon so you can get back to it. If I lived in Anchorage I would have been more than happy to go out with you, I love calling moose. Good luck. BTW you should have enough posts now to send a pm so if you have any questions I may be able to answer just ask via pm and I'll do my best to help out. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast