Thread: Tubers

Default Tubers

I fish 98% of the time for trout on valley lakes, very good with lots of bows. My largest last year was 26", this year a lot of 14 to 20 inchers. Once the salmon hit, I have pretty much all to myself. But even this time of year, why do I never see any other tubers out? Is it because I fish during the week since I am retired?

The mid week deal is part of it. The other is many folks, like myself, prefer to chase trout in flowing waters in the valley and kenai peninsula.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Because I hate flat water.

Quote Originally Posted by 1lab View Post
    I fish 98% of the time for trout on valley lakes, very good with lots of bows. My largest last year was 26", this year a lot of 14 to 20 inchers. Once the salmon hit, I have pretty much all to myself. But even this time of year, why do I never see any other tubers out? Is it because I fish during the week since I am retired?
    I see them occasionally on the Peninsula. Usually I am in my boat as I do not own a float tube.
    I see people in canoes as well. Usually there are a few people bank fishing also. Especially in the evenings after working hours.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I will take a stab at it, my guess is because a lake is not the preferred location to target trout……….some may call it boring, not to mention in lakes you may run into hatchery bows, people like chasing native or wild fish more. I could be wrong, and obviously these are my own biases.

You are probably correct on hatchery bows but 20" plus are a heck of a lot of fun. Since I have a bad hip and the VA saying it will last awhile longer, my walking is limited. I find tubing very relaxing (no **** bears) plus I enjoy tying flies that look like the insects they eat. I do fish Tangle River area and the Clearwater in Delta plus steelhead on the Anchor (headed down on the 16th for another 4 days). I was lucky to be guiding fly fishers in the Wood River/Tikciuk area in the late 70's and early 80's so did not miss out on the moving water. First time Alaska fishing was 1969 on the Naknek while stationed at King Salmon (huge rainbows). However would be nice to find someone who is into a lot of tubing as I am alone on my trips.

I love float tubing in the valley. I live outside of Wasilla down KGB. Maybe we can float together sometime. We may not have a chance this year, looks like winter is very close and my buddy said the water temp was 33 the other day. I work so only on the weekends. Keep me in mind.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

I chatted briefly with a couple of float-tubers on Lower Sixmile, this summer. They were members of Alaska Fly Fishers, where there is -- apparently -- a small but dedicated group of local flatwater floaters. Their website is http://www.akflyfishers.net/blog/ Might be worth contacting. Good luck.
    The fisherman: "He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him."

AKSweetPete, sent you a PM, did you receive?

1lab

No, I have not seen it yet.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

AKSweetPete,

I'm doing something wrong, it won't go through. Email me at hellis@mtaonline.net

Oh man I can only imagine what Naknek was like back then………. I work out there every summer and I love the place. It is my month paid vacation by the state.

I know where to catch some nice big fatty bows............................. its a little late now, i only fish certain valley lakes, i dont care for catching 14 inch fish. right now wait till freeze up the bite is off, i have tryed several times latey .