Thread: Alaska_Hunting_&_ATV's --[The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly]--

Default Alaska_Hunting_&_ATV's --[The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly]--

[ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

The ADN is the worst RAG I've ever seen for stirring up things and reporting things incorrectly. We don't need Gov. Regulations, we need to police up ourselves first. Too bad that a few bad apples gotta make it bad on the rest of us.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    The ADN is the worst RAG I've ever seen for stirring up things and reporting things incorrectly. We don't need Gov. Regulations, we need to police up ourselves first. Too bad that a few bad apples gotta make it bad on the rest of us.
    Steve
    True, but what if we are just incapable of policing ourselves. (That's my bet.)

There's an old saying, when it rains, it rains on the righteous and it rains on the sinners, too. The few bad apples are going to bring down the rain (gov't regulation) on themselves...AND on everyone else.

If we could police ourselves, why aren't we? It's because we can't
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Steve
    The above a classic example of blaming the messenger. If we were policing ourselves, the ADN wouldn't have anything to report on. Those few bad apples sure do get around too, because they're trashing every trail between LosAnchorage and the Yukon.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I wonder how many of those that are 'bashing' ATV riders in general have given any time to help repair and or build new trails? How many of those complaining, helped rebuild the bridge up on the Puritian (sp) creek trail this last spring? Yes there are those that tear up trails, but there is a lot a lot of us that attempt to repair those same trails, or at least give money to help those that do attempt to fix the trails?
    I know that for us, ATV's have made it possible to venture into area that we would not otherwise be able to enjoy. We just use some 'common' sense when riding in areas that could get torn up very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I wonder how many of those that are 'bashing' ATV riders in general have given any time to help repair and or build new trails?
    Likely, those of us who have spent significant periods of our lifetimes building and repairing trails are the most sensitive to the insensitivity of those who mindlessly and greedily destroy them. If a news report identifying a problem strikes a nerve, perhaps the better response would be to seek a solution to the problem rather than attempting to cast doubt on those critical of the offenders.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Point taken! I know that we have spent a fair amount of time repairing trails and supporting those that 'go the extra mile' to make our riding areas more enjoyable. At times it seems that those that do tear up trail and damage the surround country are not likely to be the same people that are on here. They may be clueless as to what it takes for nature to repair the damaged areas and how long it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Likely, those of us who have spent significant periods of our lifetimes building and repairing trails are the most sensitive to the insensitivity of those who mindlessly and greedily destroy them. If a news report identifying a problem strikes a nerve, perhaps the better response would be to seek a solution to the problem rather than attempting to cast doubt on those critical of the offenders.

I am one of those that don't put my money or time into trail maintenance. I also don't do much trail riding (less than 6-8 times a year anymore). But I don't think that any of the trails I have been on need maintenance even though there are places that are very challenging to get through. I have been riding for over thirty years and know what challenging is. I suppose that is the motivation behind buying more improved ATV/UTV that come out every year, is to access more challenging areas a little easier.

I see much trail disturbance where I hunt by the end of hunting season, but by the time I get out there the next year it looks practically untouched.

What is the point of building bridges and placing culverts? Isn't part of the ride, the challenge of getting from beginning to end and back again? What would be the point of aggressive tires and suspensions, winches, snatch blocks, jacks and tow lines if the trails are groomed?

I suppose that along with the hunting and fishing, trail riding also suffers because of state population growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.