Thread: Final Powder Order In

Default Final Powder Order In

Received my final powder order for the summer: eight pounds each of Varget and Benchmark, five pounds each of Reloader 25 and the mythical Reloader 33. Now to start filling .223 and .308 cases to see what works best. Can't wait to wring out the .338 A-Square. The RL-33 was supposedly developed for the .338 Lapua, and this case is almost the same dimensions.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Where...and how long ago...were you able to find this powder?

I'm in the same boat, I just bought 16lbs of varget and 16lbs of benchmark and I already had 6lbs of tac. I have a ton of reloading to do this winter but the problem is finding free brass now. Have you used varget in .223 yet? I have only done about 50 so far but it seems great and very clean too.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Where...and how long ago...were you able to find this powder?
    About five weeks ago I contacted sellers on GB and told them how much of what I wanted. One fellow I have purchased from before. Both had regular prices. Paid, shipped across the 'States to Seattle and then Lynden barge to Bethel. Very simple. First purchase took exactly 30 days from the date it left a little town in Georgia.

My first purchase was for 29 pounds of various slow powders: Retumbo, IMR-7828, RL-15, RL-17, RL-19...ect.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I just bought 16lbs of varget and 16lbs of benchmark and I already had 6lbs of tac. I have a ton of reloading to do this winter but the problem is finding free brass now. Have you used varget in .223 yet? I have only done about 50 so far but it seems great and very clean too.
    No I have not, but it seems a great many people have success with it so I bought the eight pounds. Brass is free!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    No I have not, but it seems a great many people have success with it so I bought the eight pounds. Brass is free!?
    Well it was. I used to shoot trap and skeet at birchwood before I moved to Sterling and I would go pick up people's brass when everyone left. It wasn't easy by any means because there was always other people trying to get it before I did but it worked for the time being. There is no way I could make it pencil out cost wise if I had to buy the brass for 9mm .40 .45 and .223 I did the same as you with shipping powder up. I have a little more money in it than I would have buying it local but I couldn't ever find any so I stocked up on it.

Range brass is pretty cheap on-line again and generally in stock most places, FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing the information Nitroman.

Too slow to edit: I've used Varget in my Mouse Guns. It worked fine with 55 grain bullets, OK with 69s, not so good with 75+ but I didn't spend much time with it under the heavy bullets.

I like AA2230 for 55 grain bullets & RL15 for 69+ match loads. I think I can load more different rounds with Varget. If I only had one type of rifle powder on my shelf I'd rather it was Varget than the other two.

Right on. that's what I am doing is using the cheapest 55 grain bullets I can find. I am just trying to stock up economically.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Too slow to edit: I've used Varget in my Mouse Guns. It worked fine with 55 grain bullets, OK with 69s, not so good with 75+ but I didn't spend much time with it under the heavy bullets.

I like AA2230 for 55 grain bullets & RL15 for 69+ match loads. I think I can load more different rounds with Varget. If I only had one type of rifle powder on my shelf I'd rather it was Varget than the other two.

Sounds good to me too. I have 1k 55 grain fmj and 1k ss109's to try.