Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ADF&G biologist charged with moose hunting violations

Default ADF&G biologist charged with moose hunting violations

Intriguing legal issue....will follow this one with interest:

http://homernews.com/homer-news/loca...ing-violations
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Whooaa interesting situation.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I guess he isn't good at tracking or blood trailing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

That is an interesting quandary.Was the hunt over when he shot the first time? Did he connect? If it was the wounded moose he packed out, I see no issue. Better than losing the meat.

If it is not the same moose, or it wasn't wounded, then pay the penalty. Like I would have to. Should be easy to count bullet holes in the carcass.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I think it all depends on the trooper and how much press this gets. Been involved in situations like this where troopers wouldn't say use the plane, but they did let the hunters know they wouldn't be around the area for a few days. Wink wink.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I guess he isn't good at tracking or blood trailing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Right, because there is never a difficult situation where a good bloodtrail isn't left behind or tracks become obscured/lost.

I don't know the details and will refrain from making judgment, but I certainly can see how a skilled woodsman could make a poor shot and then not be able to track the animal. Crap happens - at least the guy made an attempt to recover what he believed to be a wounded animal. It'll be interesting to see how the court rules on this.

Or shooting or decision making as to whether or not a shot is good enough to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Right, because there is never a difficult situation where a good bloodtrail isn't left behind or tracks become obscured/lost.

I don't know the details and will refrain from making judgment, but I certainly can see how a skilled woodsman could make a poor shot and then not be able to track the animal. Crap happens - at least the guy made an attempt to recover what he believed to be a wounded animal. It'll be interesting to see how the court rules on this.
    Allegedly... If this were Joe Redneck the forum would be up in arms. If he gets off it opens the door for any dude to say, "Oh that moose?" I shot at that moose yesterday and I'm just finishing it off and recovering it with this here airplane and set of radios."

This will be interesting to watch.

No good deed goes unpunished.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

This should be good and is something that needs to be hashed out since anyone of us on this forum could be in the same situation. Anyone!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Allegedly... If this were Joe Redneck the forum would be up in arms. If he gets off it opens the door for any dude to say, "Oh that moose?" I shot at that moose yesterday and I'm just finishing it off and recovering it with this here airplane and set of radios."
    could we we use bob or mike redneck instead of Joe?
    thanx, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    This should be good and is something that needs to be hashed out since anyone of us on this forum could be in the same situation. Anyone!
    Not me. I'll do my tracking from the ground, not from a plane.

Not me. I'll do my tracking from the ground, not from a plane.
    Smokeross, a living legend amongst us can track a bird, fish or any critter for that matter. He once caught a salmon fry and released it into the river. Two years later he caught the same salmon in the ocean! But it gets better; he caught the same fish back on the river over the spawning bed! True story! Do not question his tracking skills!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Smokeross, a living legend amongst us can track a bird, fish or any critter for that matter. He once caught a salmon fry and released it into the river. Two years later he caught the same salmon in the ocean! But it gets better; he caught the same fish back on the river over the spawning bed! True story! Do not question his tracking skills!

do i smell sarcasm?
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

So... a hunter used a pilot and plane to help him find a wounded animal, at a minimum cost of $500/hr, finds and dispatches the animal, and is in trouble because he used radio communication from an aircraft to help "take" an animal. If he had given up on the animal, let it die, let the meat go to waste, he would have broken no law and not be worried about a court date and losing his job. He could have legally hunted down another moose, as well, and shot it, regardless of what happened to the first, wounded moose.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    I can dive deeper, and come up drier......

Willphish.....you are reading correctly.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post

True. And I don't know about the weather then and there, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is this thing called heavy rain. Among other things, it washes blood off of leaves.

Seen moose not bleed externally too....
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast