Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 203

Thread: ADF&G biologist charged with moose hunting violations

  1. #1
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,751

    Default ADF&G biologist charged with moose hunting violations

    Intriguing legal issue....will follow this one with interest:

    http://homernews.com/homer-news/loca...ing-violations
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  2. #2
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Whooaa interesting situation.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    I guess he isn't good at tracking or blood trailing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member bullbuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mean streets of Fairview
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    That is an interesting quandary.Was the hunt over when he shot the first time? Did he connect? If it was the wounded moose he packed out, I see no issue. Better than losing the meat.

    If it is not the same moose, or it wasn't wounded, then pay the penalty. Like I would have to. Should be easy to count bullet holes in the carcass.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

  5. #5
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I think it all depends on the trooper and how much press this gets. Been involved in situations like this where troopers wouldn't say use the plane, but they did let the hunters know they wouldn't be around the area for a few days. Wink wink.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I guess he isn't good at tracking or blood trailing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Right, because there is never a difficult situation where a good bloodtrail isn't left behind or tracks become obscured/lost.

    I don't know the details and will refrain from making judgment, but I certainly can see how a skilled woodsman could make a poor shot and then not be able to track the animal. Crap happens - at least the guy made an attempt to recover what he believed to be a wounded animal. It'll be interesting to see how the court rules on this.

  7. #7
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I guess he isn't good at tracking or blood trailing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Or shooting or decision making as to whether or not a shot is good enough to take.

  8. #8
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Right, because there is never a difficult situation where a good bloodtrail isn't left behind or tracks become obscured/lost.

    I don't know the details and will refrain from making judgment, but I certainly can see how a skilled woodsman could make a poor shot and then not be able to track the animal. Crap happens - at least the guy made an attempt to recover what he believed to be a wounded animal. It'll be interesting to see how the court rules on this.
    Allegedly... If this were Joe Redneck the forum would be up in arms. If he gets off it opens the door for any dude to say, "Oh that moose?" I shot at that moose yesterday and I'm just finishing it off and recovering it with this here airplane and set of radios."

  9. #9
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    This will be interesting to watch.

  10. #10
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    No good deed goes unpunished.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  11. #11
    Member alaskabliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    This should be good and is something that needs to be hashed out since anyone of us on this forum could be in the same situation. Anyone!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

  12. #12
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Allegedly... If this were Joe Redneck the forum would be up in arms. If he gets off it opens the door for any dude to say, "Oh that moose?" I shot at that moose yesterday and I'm just finishing it off and recovering it with this here airplane and set of radios."
    could we we use bob or mike redneck instead of Joe?
    thanx, Joe.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    This should be good and is something that needs to be hashed out since anyone of us on this forum could be in the same situation. Anyone!
    Not me. I'll do my tracking from the ground, not from a plane.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Not me. I'll do my tracking from the ground, not from a plane.
    Smokeross, a living legend amongst us can track a bird, fish or any critter for that matter. He once caught a salmon fry and released it into the river. Two years later he caught the same salmon in the ocean! But it gets better; he caught the same fish back on the river over the spawning bed! True story! Do not question his tracking skills!

  15. #15
    Member Carlak2fl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Anchorage
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Smokeross, a living legend amongst us can track a bird, fish or any critter for that matter. He once caught a salmon fry and released it into the river. Two years later he caught the same salmon in the ocean! But it gets better; he caught the same fish back on the river over the spawning bed! True story! Do not question his tracking skills!

    do i smell sarcasm?
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

  16. #16
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    So... a hunter used a pilot and plane to help him find a wounded animal, at a minimum cost of $500/hr, finds and dispatches the animal, and is in trouble because he used radio communication from an aircraft to help "take" an animal. If he had given up on the animal, let it die, let the meat go to waste, he would have broken no law and not be worried about a court date and losing his job. He could have legally hunted down another moose, as well, and shot it, regardless of what happened to the first, wounded moose.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Smokeross, a living legend amongst us can track a bird, fish or any critter for that matter. He once caught a salmon fry and released it into the river. Two years later he caught the same salmon in the ocean! But it gets better; he caught the same fish back on the river over the spawning bed! True story! Do not question his tracking skills!
    I can dive deeper, and come up drier......
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  18. #18
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Willphish.....you are reading correctly.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  19. #19
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Right, because there is never a difficult situation where a good bloodtrail isn't left behind or tracks become obscured/lost.

    I don't know the details and will refrain from making judgment, but I certainly can see how a skilled woodsman could make a poor shot and then not be able to track the animal. Crap happens - at least the guy made an attempt to recover what he believed to be a wounded animal. It'll be interesting to see how the court rules on this.
    True. And I don't know about the weather then and there, but I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there is this thing called heavy rain. Among other things, it washes blood off of leaves.

  20. #20
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Seen moose not bleed externally too....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •