Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to living off the grid!!

Default New to living off the grid!!

Me and the wife have a remote cabin about 40 miles N E of Skwentna
    We have a nice cabin on a lake and are planning on moving into it in May 2016.
    We are planning on a lot of things, it is the ones we do not think of that will get us in trouble.
    We have heat, shelter, an outhouse, will put in a root cellar, a small shop, fuel/oil shed, .
    we have water covered, a shower, going to put in some solar panels.
    we have a lot of work to do, will be able to hunt, fish and trap.
    I cannot wait and I think the wife is even more excited than me.
    Any suggestions would be great!!!

If you have an EXCITED Wife..........everything else will workout just fine. Any chance she has an EXCITED grandmother that is single.....???

Quote Originally Posted by hinshsd View Post
    We have a nice cabin on a lake and are planning on moving into it in May 2016.
    We are planning on a lot of things, it is the ones we do not think of that will get us in trouble.
    We have heat, shelter, an outhouse, will put in a root cellar, a small shop, fuel/oil shed, .
    we have water covered, a shower, going to put in some solar panels.
    we have a lot of work to do, will be able to hunt, fish and trap.
    I cannot wait and I think the wife is even more excited than me.
    Are you new to AK? Or are you already a resident?
    I don't know much about your area, but I've flown over it. What is the game situation in your area? Fishing? Are you solely looking to provide food from the land?

Have been in Alaska 20+ years
    There are a lot of critters to trap and to eat, we also are planning to be able to get into town every other month or so. Good fishing, both trout and salmon.
    We will put in a big garden
    Grew up in Montana hunting fishing and trapping

40 miles N E of Skwentna is the town of Talkeetna. Why don't you just say you cabin is in Talkeetna?

I apologize, it is NW not NE
    and I believe Talkeetna a lot farther than 40 miles

Sorry I don't have any practical advice for you, I don't own a remote cabin YET!!

Sounds great though!! More curious than anything, but do you have any pics of your place? Do you have an airplane for transportation? Is this a retirement situation or another change in lifestyle. Sounds intriguing...

Actually, I guess I do have one practical piece of advice, I suppose. A friend of mine has a remote cabin off the grid and he has a wind catcher. Just a small one to help trickle charge his batteries. They're not cheap, I think he said 4-7k. Could come in handy if you have wind and/or lack sun. I thought he said there were grants available to help defray the costs too.

Tim

It is definitely a change of life. Have had a couple of friends and relatives reach retirement age and die. The wife and I decided that we are young enough to be able to give this a shot so we are.
    I do have some pics, I will get some up on here.

Can't help you much but I say go for it. You live the dream.

In the pictures I do not see any out buildings. One thing you might think about is a out building that is away from the main building that would not burn in case of a cabin fire. In this shed would be a way to heat it and supplies if the cabin should burn in the middle of the night and no way to get help.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    In the pictures I do not see any out buildings. One thing you might think about is a out building that is away from the main building that would not burn in case of a cabin fire. In this shed would be a way to heat it and supplies if the cabin should burn in the middle of the night and no way to get help.
    Good advice, I know a guy who had to do just that at - 40 and the middle of the night. Just enough time to grab clothes and run.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We are going to add a shed /shop that will be heated a chicken coop and a small fuel and generator shed

We are going to add a shed /shop that will be heated a chicken coop and a small fuel and generator shed
    That's a great idea, as long as you like bear meat. You realized you will have every bear in the area over for chicken dinner. LOL

That is where the Electric fence that is good for 5 miles of fence with several layers of protection around the chickens.

If your planning on having a vhf or shortwave radio for entertainment and the news make sure the LED lights will not cause interference.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Yep, spare clothing, bedding, food and first aid supplies in the outbuilding in case you lose everything in the main cabin. Redundancy is your friend. I also really stress having both first aid supplies and training. One slip with an axe or chainsaw when you are remote from any help can literally save a life. A reliable means of communication is a huge plus.

My wife is a Nurse!!!! Woohoo!!! Hope I don't need her to sew me up!!!! (she is putting together quite the 1st aid kit!!!)
    and great ideas on the redundancy

Back up wood stove and spare ax and maul handles. At least three decks of cards. A bird feeder for entertainment
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Some have touched on the survivalist's mentality, but don't forget about emergency shelter. a small double-walled arctic tent can save you if there is a fire. 1-2 55 gal drums filled with a tent, food, water filter, back-up 1st aid supplies, comms, heat source, sleeping bags, clothes and cots to get you up in the heat can really save your butt if there is a fire and no one can get in to help you fast. I would store them away from any buildings to keep them from getting covered by a collapse or by snow sliding off of the roof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast