Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost pups

Default Lost pups

My pups tunneled out of the fence and went off hunting without me. They were last seen headed toward crevasse morain trailhead. There were a lot of people at the trailhead yesterday so hopefully a good person picked them up and will contact us or drop them at animal control. Unfortunately they both recently lost their tags but the springer is chipped. My number is 841-9126 and my wife's is in the poster. Text or call anytime.

I'll make another few laps out your way this afternoon Jon.
    Good luck!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Jon, sorry to hear that. My daughter lost her pup a few weeks ago out of mile 88 on the Parks. I happened to be in Anc and we blanketed the area with nearly 100 flyers. Drove the mtn road during the day and into the dark, hiked, knocked on doors, hollered, yelled and everything else. 1-1/2 hours short of a week missing we received a call as we were on our way out to do more searching from a forum member who said his neighbor had seen her that morning and as we approached the area we got another phone call from someone else saying they had the pup and since we were almost there we had only a 10 minute wait till we had her back. I'm telling you this so you don't give up hope, good luck and hope you get them back soon.

Dean

Jon, a few other things we did was to take a flyer to the nearest vet where she disappeared, put a notice on face book and also notified animal control.

I am hopeful that someone picked them up and will take them to the pound today. The weather last night was miserable and it makes me sick to think they may have had to weather it outside. They could be out as far as outer springer loop or the fair grounds. If anyone knows people that hike crevasse moraine they may know someone that picked them up. Strays are commonly dropped in this area by people who don't realize the pound has a night drop so perhaps someone thought they were abandoned.

So sorry to hear that your buddies flew the coop. I hate the thought. Sure do hope they turn up for you.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Bump ..............
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

We have them posted everywhere. Frontiersman, ak list, craigslist, about 20 different places on Facebook, signs all over the place, driven and hiked countless miles and talked to numerous people ranging from super helpful to flat hateful. Absolutely 0 results so far. Pretty discouraging to say the least, it's like they simply vanished. 5+ trips to the pound a day, including checking the night drop right before bed and on my way to work at 5am.... I can't help but think they have been picked up.

I hate to think a hunter picked them up but I hope people can keep an eye out for them along some of the bird hunting areas.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We have them posted everywhere. Frontiersman, ak list, craigslist, about 20 different places on Facebook, signs all over the place, driven and hiked countless miles and talked to numerous people ranging from super helpful to flat hateful. Absolutely 0 results so far. Pretty discouraging to say the least, it's like they simply vanished. 5+ trips to the pound a day, including checking the night drop right before bed and on my way to work at 5am.... I can't help but think they have been picked up.

I hate to think a hunter picked them up but I hope people can keep an eye out for them along some of the bird hunting areas.
    Hang in there Jon. On day six we basically had given up but then she was remarkably found on the 7th day a few miles from where she disappeared.

Bump. I pass through the area with some frequency, and have been keeping my eyes open.

May be a good idea to check with the staff at the msb landfill and also with the uaf experiment station, since they aren't too far away by trail.

Thanks for those that spent time looking for our dogs. My wife and I found them Tuesday afternoon out in Crevasse Moraine. Sadly not far from the trailhead but in an area that we didn't know about. Our springer Alpine is OK, at home sleeping next to me on the couch as I type this.

Our Large Munsterlander pup Cylas was caught in a snare and weathered 5 nights with no food, water or shelter. Alpine refused to leave his side and stayed out there the whole time. Alpine heard us calling and found us then led us back to his brother. It looks like they huddled together through the cold nights weathering sleet and rain.

Cylas is fighting infection and it's even odds that he will lose his leg and unless the vet can get control of the infection possibly his life. He is on iv and oral antibiotics plus lots of pain meds. They don't seem to be able to ascertain if the leg has perfusion which is frustrating the heck out of me. My wife does echo and vascular ultrasound for a living so she has all of the skill and knowledge just no machine to run the tests like she does for humans every day.

Man,, you guys sure kept after it, and it paid off! glad you found em and i'm sure they are too.
    Way to not give up, if I ever lose one of my hounds no doubt I will be thinking about this story.
    Got my fingers crossed for Cylas.........

Oh man LuJon, I am so sorry. I'm happy that you found your pals but it sucks to see a dog in pain. He will pull through, they are tough critters!!

I'm glad their home and a "Get Well Soon" to Cylas, and a well done to Alpine for being such a good sibling.

If anyone one knows a vet that actually deals with traumatic injuries we would like to transfer our dog away from his current care provider. I know humans and dogs are different but they left Cylas in the same bandage with no inspection of the wound and affected limb for the first 24 hours while I paid north of $1500 for the service. I have spent years in war zone medicine and I know our docs and nurses never left bandages sit that long.

I am blown away that the only method they have to tell if there is blood flow to the foot is to feel it by hand and see if it has any warmth to it. My wife asked if they have an ultrasound that she could use since SHE DOES VASCULAR ULTRASOUND STUDIES FOR A LIVING and was told that the doc could try to ultrasound it if we wanted to pay for the exam. We asked if she had done any peripheral vascular ultrasound and she said NO. Why would I pay for you to do an exam you have never done and have no idea how to do in any capacity??

There has to be a vet that offers some kind of medical service with post WWI technology and treatment options!!

I fail to see why people choose to set up trap lines off of trails that are maintained to be hiking trails for the public, things like this are bound to happen. Glad you got your dogs back man.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Give Chuck Muchany a call at Sand Lake Animal hospital. 243-5200

He is very connected and will be able to put you in touch with a clinic that can take care of your pup if he is unable to perform the service. Glad to hear you found them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Extremely happy you found them...!!! And so sorry Cylas is hurting bad. I hope he stays strong....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Keep us updated Jon, please, and if you guys need ANYthing, you have my number.

Jon could try all creatures vet clinic here in Wasilla 376-7930 they have always treated me and my three hunting labs very good
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast