Thread: 4 Place Enclosed Trailer Upgrade

Default 4 Place Enclosed Trailer Upgrade

I know there are old Threads on this but wanted new updated info. I am looking at upgrading to a 4 place enclosed trailer. What brands should I be looking at and what brands should I be staying away from? What are some key points I should be looking for on a trailer as well. Local dealers or out of state? Or does anyone have a good used or know of one. Just looking for advice so I don't end up with buyers remorse down the road. I have 154 inch track machines along with 144 inch.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

One key point is length, I have a 24' enclosed trailer which is a 20' box and 4' nose and it is not really long enough. For long track machines I would want at least a 22' box with whatever nose comes with it.

Second, I would go with at least 5,000 lb axles and upgraded tires. My trailer has the basic axles under it, 3,600 lb I think and it is almost overloaded with 4 snowmachines, extra gas and junk.

Third, since just about all sleds have reverse on them these days, I would consider a box trailer with no drive through. The only time I use the drive through on my trailer these days is to pull some thing that is not running into the trailer.

I don't know much about brands. Mine is an old Haulmark that I bought used. I really like the idea of the Featherlight Aluminum trailers but they are expensive.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    One key point is length, I have a 24' enclosed trailer which is a 20' box and 4' nose and it is not really long enough. For long track machines I would want at least a 22' box with whatever nose comes with it.

Second, I would go with at least 5,000 lb axles and upgraded tires. My trailer has the basic axles under it, 3,600 lb I think and it is almost overloaded with 4 snowmachines, extra gas and junk.

Third, since just about all sleds have reverse on them these days, I would consider a box trailer with no drive through. The only time I use the drive through on my trailer these days is to pull some thing that is not running into the trailer.

I don't know much about brands. Mine is an old Haulmark that I bought used. I really like the idea of the Featherlight Aluminum trailers but they are expensive.

Hope this helps.
    Ditto what was said above except I would not give up the drive-through feature because 2 of my 4 machines do not have reverse. I own a '99 Haulmark (20' box and 4' nose) and like it. I'd prefer it be aluminum, but I'm not made of money!

Featherlite's hold their value, without a doubt. If you have an aluminum frame, you don't need the 5K axles, since the empty trailer is 600-1000lbs less than steel. If I was going to go with a steel framed trailer, I love the Trails West RPM trailer. Their deck has a slight beaver tail, front and rear, that lowers the center of gravity, while still being a full overdeck trailer with no wheelwells inside to get in the way.

The second thing to add to above is flooring. Nudo is ok, but not that thick, so after a while, the carbide will cut it up. I've heard good things about the hockey flooring, but I have not tried it myself. Third, if you're 100% sure you'll only ever carry snowmachine, get as low a ceiling as possible. However this really never happens, so you actually want a TALLER ceiling than you think you'd need for side-by-side, moving your in-laws furniture, hay, etc.

Finally, if you put a heater in it, PLEASE don't put the heater up high where the cabinets go. Heat rises, and this is a head-knocker. Put the heater (35,000btu+) in the nose, and run ducts around.

I'm having Cache Camper do some mods on my featherlite, including installing some of Trails West boot dryers, helmet dryers, and a workbench along the side of the V-nose that doesn't have the door. It'll have a maple top, and a locking toolbox built in and stereo. Phase 2 is running ducts to the rear of the trailer underneath, insulating the floor, adding a power tongue jack, under deck storage for brooms and jacks, and thin, fold down benches for the inside. Mine already has this, but if your trailer doesn't have load lights that double as reverse lights, do it. It's SO nice to back up in the dark and SEE what is behind your trailer.

Have fun!