Thread: Hunting up Skilak River?

Default Hunting up Skilak River?

Has anyone here done any black bear hunting up the Skilak River? I have rented the cabin at Doroshin Bay for the weekend and would like to take my 18' Hewescraft/115 Merc outboard jet up the Skilak River to look for some blackies and do some trout fishing.

If anyone’s been up that way, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default who did you give money to?

to rent doroshin bay. thought that was a first come, first served type of thing.. i have seen more than one brown bear up that way, watch out for that.

Default btw

i don't think you're going to get very far up the skilak river in your boat. that's more of a walk than a boat trip.

Default We hunted it mother's day weekend

And, yes the cabin is now by reservation--not first-come basis.

We saw tons of brown bear sign and one small black bear. We hunted the burn area around the bay mostly. We walked up toward the glacier one morning and found a great spot on the right side as you head in, but it was litterly covered in borwn bear scat and tracks--still thought we would give it a try until the wind kicked up too much and we returned to the bay area. Beautiful area and understand it holds bears--of both colors.

Will

Default sounds like a good spot

for whoever gets the brown bear permits for that area. is that cabin reservation made through the us forest service now?

You can rent the cabin for 35 bucks a night through the KNWR.

I'm up for a walk, should there not be enough water to run up with the boat. I only ask because I have talked to other people who have spent the morning walking up the creek while hunting only to have someone pass them in a jet boat. I suppose its very dependant on the water levels at the time.

Last time I stayed in the cabin, we did have a brown bear come through camp while we were in the cabin, but it went on its merry way and swam across the bay.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.