Thread: Can it really shoot that bad?

Default Can it really shoot that bad?

For reasons that currently escape me, last year I bought one of Ruger's .22 magnum rifles. I'd used a .22 magnum handgun for trapping for years and always thought it would be really cool to have a scoped rifle of the same caliber.
    So I bought the gun and scope, had it bore sighted, took it to a local range and tested it at 25 yards (it's an indoor range) where it seemed to shoot ok.
    This spring I took it out on a longer trip and tried it at 100 yards. I used the standard paper plate with a quarter sized circle made with a magic marker in the center as the target. I fired five times and was all over the plate. I rested a bit, focused more, and tried it again.
    A third time I tried it and I shot like a 7" group at only 100 yards. I tried it a fourth time with with similar results. So, I think it's probably me, I've lost all ability to shoot. So just to try a control group, I get out my .338 and try that one. Three shots right into the magic marker circle.
    I know "it's a poor craftsman who blames his tools" but is it really possible for a gun to shoot this badly? And if it is, is there any fix?

I had one of the stainless Ruger's with the skeleton stock and I was not pleased with the way it shot. My son's Marlin would shoot circles around it. I found it a new home. By the way I do like Ruger guns, just not pleased with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    but is it really possible for a gun to shoot this badly? And if it is, is there any fix?
    Yes...if you have a 77/22 with a contract barrel it is entirely possible. At worst it may need a new barrel, maybe a new crown, maybe just a good scrubbing out.

Start cheap and work your way up the scale.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've got one of the ruger levers in 22 mag and it's the best shootin gun I've got...different model but still. It is sensitice to ammo, it likes heavier stuff better......

What kind of Ruger?

It could be most anything, but my first thoughts are it's something obvious. I'd check all of the normal things: make sure the barrel is rifled, sound scope, all of the screws (action and rings) are tight, that the rifle is bedded properly. It'd be an unusual situation for a gun to shoot that poorly without an obvious problem.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Sounds to me like a scope issue. Does it have iron sights on it? Pull the scope and shoot it with the iron sights? Or try a different scope. I'd try that before throwing money into the gun itself.

What would indicate its the scope?
    OP, drop back to 25yds and see what your group is, then push out to 50yds. If you are grouping at 25yds and 50yds chances are its just you.... then you push out to 100yds and see what happens. Groups will be small when close up and opens up as the distance gains do to a multitude of variable. If you believe you are rusty and need a bit of tuning (practice) then the 25/50 will / should do the trick.
    Now if you can't group at 25/ 50 then that is another matter either barrel being fouled, something lose I.E. scope, barrel, sites etc.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    What would indicate its the scope?
    OP, drop back to 25yds and see what your group is, then push out to 50yds. If you are grouping at 25yds and 50yds chances are its just you.... then you push out to 100yds and see what happens. Groups will be small when close up and opens up as the distance gains do to a multitude of variable. If you believe you are rusty and need a bit of tuning (practice) then the 25/50 will / should do the trick.
    Now if you can't group at 25/ 50 then that is another matter either barrel being fouled, something lose I.E. scope, barrel, sites etc.
    Good luck
    You've made a good point. I didn't think to ask about the conditions when you were shooting. Doesn't take a lot of breeze to start doing very funny things with a .22LR.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The fact he was dead on with the .338 but was all over with a .22. I've had the reticles get knocked loose on a Leopold before. I was shooting about 24" groups at 25 yards. No wonder I couldn't hit that **** caribou at 200'! I had to steal the wife's gun from her since she dropped hers first shot. And my gun was empty and the bou and her were bith laughing at me. One shot from her 7mm and down it went. Yes. Leupold gave me a new scope.. and yes. The wife will never let me live that day down!

OP, what about ammo? Was all of your shooting with one brand/bullet type/bullet weight? I have a Ruger 7722 mag predator that will put 5 shots into 1" all day long with one brand of ammo. Another brand of ammo, that I also have on hand is about a 4" group. Have you removed the scope and tried a different scope? What about the crown, is it good?

I tried two different makes of ammo and the winds were calm. I don't recall what make the scope is but it's not an expensive one. I appreciate all the advice, thanks.

I have a Remington .17HMR that is a tack driver. Decided to put a different, cheaper scope on it and it is crap now. If I move the magnification at all, it will hit everywhere I don't aim at. Scope is junk. I would look there first. That rifle should shoot consistant
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

The only time I've had a rifle shoot that poorly is if the scope is damaged or has come loose, or if the muzzle is damaged. Swapping scopes is my first step in trouble shooting a rifle that's giving me fits.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yeah, a rifle can shoot that badly. I recently bought a Mosin-Nagant, put a scope on it, and shot two types of PPU ammo in it. Groups ran about 6" with one type and 8" with the other. Bought some Herters ammo and it shoots about 1 1/2" @ 100yds. If it won't shoot anything, I would switch scopes first and check crown to see if it has been damaged. Try a couple different ammo types then remove the stock and check for a warped or poorly fitted stock. There has to be a reason it shoots that poorly.