Thread: When Is Ruger going to offer their SRH or Alaskan in a 4 inch barrel?

Default When Is Ruger going to offer their SRH or Alaskan in a 4 inch barrel?

Am I just dreaming or what? I would like to pick one up in a 454, or 480, but not until they make one in a 4 inch barrel. I like Smiths, but not the Giant 500 frames, so just wishing Ruger would expand their market and make something usefull for more than just hunting.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Dave,

I'm with you. An SRH in 454 or the 480 with 4" of barrel would be much more useful than the stubby 2 1/2". What was that about anyway? Why on earth would they make such boomer calibers in such a short barrel. The four inch would weigh almost two more ounces more and would weight us down too much, I guess!?

The short sight radius of the stubby makes it a true belly gun for most of us and is loud and obnoxious. A four inch could serve quite well as a trail gun with lighter pot loads and heavy loads for the tundra wookies. A two and a half inch barrel what were they thinking? I'll bet most of the folks who have the shorty would trade it for a four inch. What say ye?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default SRH in 454 or 480 ruger

murphy,

i agree the 4 to 5.5 inch barrel is more useful.

question for you. if i get the SRH in 7.5 and have magnaport cut it down to 4.5 to 5.5 what velocity/energy loss will result in the 360g in 454 and 410g in 480 given buffalo bore's ammo? my guess is not siginificant and the game won't know the difference?

forty below

Quote Originally Posted by forty below View Post
    murphy,

i agree the 4 to 5.5 inch barrel is more useful.

question for you. if i get the SRH in 7.5 and have magnaport cut it down to 4.5 to 5.5 what velocity/energy loss will result in the 360g in 454 and 410g in 480 given buffalo bore's ammo? my guess is not siginificant and the game won't know the difference?

forty below
    I'd say your guess is good. My big bore guns are 4"-5.5". This is the critical length, any shorter and you can't get good performance. I shoot a 454 5 1/2" FA 83. I can get 1500 from the 355 grain WLNGC (I like this bullet style) But I shoot it at 1400 fps because of possibility of bullet jump and it is as fast as need be with a cast bullet. The 480 would perform a little better in a four inch than the 454 because of it's higher expansion ratio. I have a Bowen modified five shot Redhawk in 475 LB with a four inch barrel. I can get way more from this gun than I want to shoot. I shoot basically 480 Ruger ballistics, 400 grains at 1200 fps. It is too light weight for the 475 caliber. I have never recovered a bullet from anything with this load. It will exit a 14" oak tree! I don't think I need any more.

We have been loading our 475's to what is now 480 Ruger ballistics for several years now even cutting cases to shorter length for more efficient powder burn. It was a welcomed caliber this 480 but I've never owned one. I do shoot 480 cases in the LB cylinder with no problem, of course.

I don't know to what ballistics Buffalo Bore ammo is loaded for the 480 but I know I can get 1150 fps with 400 grain bullets with my hand loads, from this 4" gun, in 480 brass. I'd say if you go with 480, get a 4" barrel or with a 454 the 5" would be better.
    Last edited by Murphy; 06-13-2007 at 09:32. Reason: Wrong numbers
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'd sell a couple of my .44s to buy a 4" Ruger .480 or .454!

I have long felt that the buying public would rush for a frame size between the N frame and the X frame from S&W. I think most folks are aware of the potential the .45 Colt has in a frame and cylinder that withstands the top loads from the .45 Colt. Why else was the increase in case size of the .38 sp, .44sp, .45 Colt but to keep them out of unsafe frames and cylinders? Smith Und Wesson has long been behind the curve in that regard.

When it comes to the Ruger Red Hawk or Super Red Hawk, well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is a little to hard for me to get excited about the looks of that six shooter. That should not be read as meaning they are not strong.

On the other hand we would not have as rich a history, if one of the big producers had come out with a good frame and cylinder long ago.

Default Get it cut and ported

I got my ruger 454 cut down to 5 1/2 and ported for less than $200 now it fits all the 5 1/2 holsters out there.

Sometimes I feel most Gun Manufacturers are just a bunch of suit wearing lot that design things out on paper and see what looks good good and suits their market, but have never really been in the outdoors to see what would be really useful. although i do like the new 375 alaskan rifle and would like to try one out some day.

Until they do come out with a 4 inch double action revolver, I will stick with my smith 629 with the 8 and 3/8ths inch barrel.

Murphy, I am with you on the 2 and a half inch pistols, what were they thinkin? Sometimes SIZE does matter, and not just how ya use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRotax View Post
    I got my ruger 454 cut down to 5 1/2 and ported for less than $200 now it fits all the 5 1/2 holsters out there.
    Who did the work for you and what was the waiting time and other options?

Default Very True

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Sometimes I feel most Gun Manufacturers are just a bunch of suit wearing lot that design things out on paper and see what looks good good and suits their market, but have never really been in the outdoors to see what would be really useful.
    A friend of mine is trying to market a new firearms accessory. He asked the VP of marketing (of a very, very large gun company) to try out his product. The VP's response was quite interesting, "Oh, I don't own any guns". I wonder what these chuckleheads are thinking when they produce .454's with 2.5 inch barrels and .500's with 2.75 inch barrels. I assume that they believe that consumers simply own guns and don't actually shoot them (like them).

My reaction when Ruger announced the "alaskan" 454 and 480 was, looks like a gangsta gun, the worlds biggest snubbie, but not something for the woods.

I will be getting another 480 for the sole reason of cutting it down, my 7 1/2" srh shoots way too good to mess with it, and when I find a 9 1/2" 480 for the right price, I'll be a lathe job away from a true Alaskan 480.

Why the 9 1/2"? Well, I've always had the hankering to take a SBH, put on a 475 barrel, bore the cylinder out and shorten it to make a 48 special with a 4" barrel. At reduced pressures it can handle the minimal wall space in the cylinder, has been done before, and with the shortened cases I figure 275-300 gr cast bullets @ 700 fps should get the accuracy the 480 fails to deliver at those levels. It'll also be a complete gas to shoot. I also have a dozen or so 480 cases that have developed splits at the case mouth and will live again when trimmed down to special length.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I'd sell a couple of my .44s to buy a 4" Ruger .480 or .454!
    Been there, done that. Back when I was pissed at Colt, I sold my .44 Mag Anaconda. When I found the right deal, I got a nearly-new SRH in .480 Ruger. I like this gun MUCH better and it'll handle the hotter loads, where the Anaconda wasn't really designed for it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    My reaction when Ruger announced the "alaskan" 454 and 480 was, looks like a gangsta gun, the worlds biggest snubbie, but not something for the woods.<snip>
    I think Ruger said the Alaskan was for a specific need: easy carry while hiking, fishing, or driving; and intended as an easy-access last-minute kind of protection gun when in bear country. I don't think they ever intended it to shoot accurately at longer ranges. Don't ask me why the standard adjustable SRH sights were put on the Alaskan ...seems like a contradiction in goals. I'd have preferred to see the Alaskan have fixed sights with no sharp corners and a 4" barrel instead of being the flush-with-frame snubby that it is. I think they missed a little on this gun ...no idea what the sales record is on these, but I suspect not as high as they could've been.

The one good thing that DID come from the Alaskan however was the availability of the Alaskan grips (Hogue, I believe). The new grip is larger, fills your hand better, and has a blue-something recoil absorbing insert along the back edge. Losing the wood grips on my .480 SRH for these new Alaskan grips transformed my gun into a much more accurate weapon ...I have big hands (6'3", 250#) and the skinny wood grips were hard to ...well, get a grip on! I love the new grips!

Brian

Brian

I still need to pick up a pair of those grips. When I shoot the gun frequently I have my grip down, but when I haven't shot it in awhile, the top of the grip frame that extends beyond the grip cuts the knuckle on my thumb, and I also bash the knuckle on my index finger from the trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    ...I have big hands (6'3", 250#) and the skinny wood grips were hard to ...well, get a grip on! I love the new grips!

Brian

Brian

Dang!............ Those are big hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    My reaction when Ruger announced the "alaskan" 454 and 480 was, looks like a gangsta gun, the worlds biggest snubbie, but not something for the woods.
    Paul, of you rotate the 480 Gangsta gun 90 degrees counter clockwise when drawn and ready to fire, then every bear in the woods will be shivering in their paws. I seen it in the movies, so it must be true

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Dang!............ Those are big hands!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaa!