Thread: soft duck call?

Default soft duck call?

Is there such a thing? I have duck calls of the 'less expensive' variety. They are SOOOOO LOOOUUUUDDDD. Ugh.

We have ducks (mallards) on our pond frequently and they are not as loud as the duck calls I use. nor do the hens ever 'hail', but they do quack and chatter if there are enough in the group.

curious to know as well...for Alaska, is it generally better NOT to call when duck hunting? Discussed this with some other duck hunters and they are of the opinion that calling in AK is not effective.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

That is not true. As you know all birds are social. Calling is a form of communication.
    In Alaska there is no need to 'Hail Call" to any birds as we hunt pretty well established areas where the birds are already hanging out and usually on established flight paths.
    Some locations donít require much calling..roosting areas, known feeding areas or loafing areas. (your pond) Although..once you start sending steel downrange..you might have to use the call the next day to coax them back in.. Or just throw out a half dozen decoys and wait a few days.

The three most common calls utilized here in Alaska and most effective are the Comeback call, Greeting call and Lonesome Hen call. You should be able to do very well with just these three up here.

The level at which you send these notes all depends on the birds, location, movement of them in flight and the location/distance they are at when trying to communicate with them.

I can get as soft on a call as I want or as loud with any note. Most can, it takes allot of practice, time and familiarity of the calls you use and tend to familiarize yourself with.

The duck call market is off the charts..so many people are making them these days. One of the easiest calls to learn how to blow that does not require any tuning straight out of the box(minimal if picky) is the DR85. ITs a great call that is easy to get soft or loud notes and sounds great!

I have a ton of calls...but this is the one I use daily and have for years.

Early in the season most of the young birds vocal cords or box if you will...are not completely developed and will often have a raspier more sound then a full adult female mallard.

Also. donít forget about the drake mallard call. Itís another great confidence call when they get in close and start playing the circling game.

Calling take time, patience, practice and the know-how. Itís not something you learn on the marsh on opening day.. nor during the season.

Enjoy and if you have any more questions..please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Is there such a thing? I have duck calls of the 'less expensive' variety. They are SOOOOO LOOOUUUUDDDD. Ugh.

We have ducks (mallards) on our pond frequently and they are not as loud as the duck calls I use. nor do the hens ever 'hail', but they do quack and chatter if there are enough in the group.

curious to know as well...for Alaska, is it generally better NOT to call when duck hunting? Discussed this with some other duck hunters and they are of the opinion that calling in AK is not effective.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I'd like a couple lessons please.

What do you use for sea ducks? Hope this is not too far off topic for JuliW??

I have pretty much quit practicing calling since I left Colorado. The wife and neighbors are probably elated!

i dont call for sea ducks. or divers. your better off spending money on more decoys for those types of ducks. If you want a "quieter" call and cant figure out how to make the one you own quite you can purchase timber style call which is generally more quiet then an open water call. It pretty much just takes practice practice practice and then you can make any call quiet or loud as DH1 said
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Randy

Sea ducks will respond to a diver sound, dog whistle works or just plain jane a "**** load of decoys"...sight factor...

I prefer the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I'd like a couple lessons please.

What do you use for sea ducks? Hope this is not too far off topic for JuliW??

I have pretty much quit practicing calling since I left Colorado. The wife and neighbors are probably elated!
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

thanks duckhunter!

I do want to clarify that I was referring specifically to the hail call when trying to call ducks.. or swing them around. I do have a mallard drake call, but am still trying to figure out how to get the 'deeper' tone with my 'female' vocal cords. LOL....

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Use the comback call to "Swing them around" The hail call is not used for that purpose...

Air is air...dont matter what breed you are...lol its all about pressure.

Have fun

H

thanks duckhunter!

I do want to clarify that I was referring specifically to the hail call when trying to call ducks.. or swing them around. I do have a mallard drake call, but am still trying to figure out how to get the 'deeper' tone with my 'female' vocal cords. LOL....

Juli

duckhunter... again, you are right. I always thought they were the same (and indeed they are similar)... a difference in urgency, I guess... after listening to a few examples I can hear the difference.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Well..providing false informaiton is not a habit I am accustomed to..

But if you ask me where I hunt...I will not lie..but the directions in order to get you there will be tiresome to the point you will give up..

duckhunter... again, you are right. I always thought they were the same (and indeed they are similar)... a difference in urgency, I guess... after listening to a few examples I can hear the difference.

Julie,
    go blow $50.00 on a Echo double reed timber call. poly insert with a wood barrel of your choice. or better yet get a hold of Pat Shue USAF local boy that turns his own calls with wood of your choice and same echo poly insert. may be a better price or spend a tad bit more on 2 calls custom wood to your choice and get a double and single red. just a thought. his last number I know of is . 907-575-5378

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    Julie,
    go blow $50.00 on a Echo double reed timber call. poly insert with a wood barrel of your choice. or better yet get a hold of Pat Shue USAF local boy that turns his own calls with wood of your choice and same echo poly insert. may be a better price or spend a tad bit more on 2 calls custom wood to your choice and get a double and single red. just a thought. his last number I know of is . 907-575-5378
    Pats not currently making calls. He is now out of the AF and doing CDL work. Im hoping he gets back into it when he gets more free time soon. Last I saw there were still a few of his calls hanging out at B&J's.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks so much for the information! I may go look for that Echo.

Was out this afternoon and my calling (hail call) did turn half a dozen widgeon who had flown high over our dekes to land where some 'live ducks' were sitting 300yds off...and I mean they were less than a foot off the water, setting down... I REALLY started 'yelling' at them and by God they turned around and came back to our spread. (yay) Unfortunately they didn't commit to landing and flared off about 50 yds out...probably due to lack of experience on finishing them - or movement, or something... while the hail call may have changed their mind, I don't think the mallard chatter convinced them to land and I don't know how to call in a widgeon (yet). We did have a couple of widgeon dekes (and mallards and teal).

I did manage to hit one widgeon today....LOL...I really am a lousy shot....
    Taxidermy IS art!

If you hail call and turn the flock don't hail call any more just do simple soft quacks. If they are with in 100 yards comming at you don't call at all until they start to pick up their wing beats or start to turn away

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    If you hail call and turn the flock don't hail call any more just do simple soft quacks. If they are with in 100 yards comming at you don't call at all until they start to pick up their wing beats or start to turn away

Sent while partying

I did stop the hail call when they turned and just went to feeding chuckles... I also remembered last night after I got home that the mallard drake call I have is also a widgeon, teal, and ??? call....I haven't learned those yet, but am going to. We have teal on our pond in the spring and I like listening to their whistles...widgeon I similar I think...

Oh...and I did not know that you weren't supposed to stop calling after they were within a certain distance.. Makes sense.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Well I stop calling when they are close because if your callin and your in the weeds or where ever the ducks will look for the noise. So when they are in close you could give your self away. Just my thoughts. Other people probably think different

Sent while partying

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Well I stop calling when they are close because if your callin and your in the weeds or where ever the ducks will look for the noise. So when they are in close you could give your self away. Just my thoughts. Other people probably think different

Sent while partying

Yep. Usually when they are about 40 or 50 yds Ill give one last real soft quack unless they are just locked up hard. Then its just quiet and wait for them to get inside the spread and blast em.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Calls definitely help here as well as anywhere else I have hunted. If you talk to the old timers/hard core hunters in the area you will see calls are as important here in AK as anywhere. Duckhunter01 is right on with the dog whistle, great to turn harlequin that have not seen the spread, or as he said a diver call works great. Mine fell apart , so I use a mallard call like a diver call depending on whats flying and where I am.

The sea ducks are really easy, so if you forgot the calls you would be fine, but it is nice to be able to get the attention of birds that are flying in the distance.

For mallards, oh yeah!! they can be talked right in. I agree the Echo reeds make a great call.

Ma'am,
    Yes I'm now a Veteran. When I get back up and running please let me know if you would like a hand turned call. I just don't do echo inserts. I could cut you a jig insert that sounds ok. I am not about that. 50 bucks for a legit product isnt too shabby. lots of company's sell inserts. I choose echo because Rick Dunn taught my mentor.
    Divers do respond to calls. I learned that from a guide named Capt Todd Jones while stationed in FL. The trick is to mimic what you hear in the marsh. I have some huge plans, so stay tuned.
    Use some some sand paper and change a call by sanding the tone board. Good luck and keep those digits warm.

Thanks so much KUMA. Sounds like a great way to start for next year. I think I will get out one more time this yr - providing the boat has soft water to float in.

Looking forward to the update on your 'huge plans'
    Taxidermy IS art!