Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR Bolt Rifles

Default 22 LR Bolt Rifles

Curious to know what the Brain Trust here thinks:

Starting to reinvestigate today's current production "better" 22 sporters.A rifle with decent wood...good bedding...a really good trigger that you could take afield readily but wouldn't be overkill for some advanced plinking.Call it a combo small game hunting/fun rig that with a good scope and quality ammo would stay inside 1" at 50 yards from a solid set up.

Figure a target budget of $1000, give or take, for the rifle.

Your choices?

My Ruger 7722 with 4x Burris scope is an absolute tack driver. Didn't spend anywhere near $1K on it. Not sure if it meets your definition of "better"?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I recently bought a CZ 452 "Special Training Rifle".... about half your budget and it easily keeps them under an inch at 50. Decent wood and built out of blued steel like a real rifle should be. Trigger could use a little work for serious shooting but that's nickel and dime stuff. For high end plinking and sticking grouse into a crock pot it's perfectly OK as-is.

I've had high end .22s from Kimber and the CZ shoots every bit as good. If you can find a used Kimber 22 they are very nice and will be hard to come by for your budget. I've shot a Cooper, again- awesome, but hard to fit into your budget.

I've also messed about with a Browning T-Bolt. Very accurate rifle and just a neat design that meets the need as well.

Unfortunately for the rimfire aficionado, we are in a slump- most of them are now largely inexpensive, plastic things so the choices are limited.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Kimber:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=443164284

Also, look around gun broker for Savage-Anschutz guns for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    My Ruger 7722 with 4x Burris scope is an absolute tack driver. Didn't spend anywhere near $1K on it. Not sure if it meets your definition of "better"?
    Wow something we both agree on.
    I like mine as well and yes its very accurate.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I recently bought a CZ 452 "Special Training Rifle".... about half your budget and it easily keeps them under an inch at 50. Decent wood and built out of blued steel like a real rifle should be. Trigger could use a little work for serious shooting but that's nickel and dime stuff. For high end plinking and sticking grouse into a crock pot it's perfectly OK as-is.
    I have the same rifle. Accuracy and reliability are superb. The trigger is not great but a Yo-Dave trigger kit is about $20 and will fix that small problem quickly and easily.

Another suggestion with this rifle is pick up some 10 round magazines.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Buy a half dozen old Rem bolt guns and test them. At least one will shoot well. Then resell the rest. Or a used Savage /Anshutz.

Been through a lot of them, but finally settled on the CZ 452 American for the classic lines and great balance for offhand shooting. I got the lefty because I am. Only mod was to have a replacement trigger installed. I have an old Remington lefty as well as an Anschutz, and once owned an early Kimber lefty. The CZ outperforms all of them with almost all loads, with groups under half an inch at 50, and approaching 1" at 100 with its favorite load and the nut behind the trigger doing his job. I have a couple of Anschutz match rifles and they won't do any better.

It's no lightweight, but that's the point. I wanted a rifle with similar handling and balance to my centerfires for cheap practice, as well as great offhand performance. After all, about 99% of my rimfire shooting is offhand at game heads. The CZ getzer done better than any other I've tried. Can't beat the price for that kind of performance either.

The 7722 also gets my vote. I had mind worked on a little and it is deadly on rabbits and other small game.

My savage mkiii tv-sr is a fantastic shooter for less than half of your budget, when you can find one.

Anyone had experience with the current production T Bolts?

Had a Browning Belgium for many years...how does the current Japanese(??) model compare?

I bought a old used Remington 22 caliber bolt gun when I retired and it has done very good. I can not remember the model but it is clip fed. The gun was in very good shape to be that old and it shot better than I thought it would. I think I paid $125 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Anyone had experience with the current production T Bolts?

Had a Browning Belgium for many years...how does the current Japanese(??) model compare?
    A friend bought one a couple years ago. I was favorably impressed in both fit and finish. Accuracy was first rate as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Remington 541T would be my pick for a nice shooter and small game rig

The CZ trainer rifle is a wonderfully accurate rifle that you would not regret owning. E.

Here's a sharptail I found this morning.... shot at 70 long paces. That CZ just works.

sharpie.jpg

Update:

I decided on a new current production Browning T Bolt walnut plus a new Leupold 3X9 V2 Rimfire EFR in Leupold rings and base.

Thanks to everyone for their input...I'll follow up later when everything arrives and I get a chance to test fire this rig for accuracy.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Update:

I decided on a new current production Browning T Bolt walnut plus a new Leupold 3X9 V2 Rimfire EFR in Leupold rings and base.

Thanks to everyone for their input...I'll follow up later when everything arrives and I get a chance to test fire this rig for accuracy.

Fred
    Fred- Congratulations- I think you'll be very happy with that rig. It's a real serious .22LR.

Congrats on the T-Bolt. My old Belgium made T-Bolt was made in the 70's and wears a Leupold 2x7 Rimfire. Only complaint I have about my T-Bolt is they put a plastic trigger guard on a nice walnut stock and nicely finished blued steel. What were they thinking? I wish Leupold would come out with a straight 6x power rimfire scope.

.338 mag - get a 6 x 36 FX 2 and send it in for a parallax adjustment ........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast