Thread: Interior Red Squirrel rifle barrel length?

Default Interior Red Squirrel rifle barrel length?

I just can't decide, I'm trying to achieve 400 yd shots with enough energy, trajectory, ect, with a 225 grain bullet.

I have found its easier to let a grizz dig them out and make the kill then kill the grizz with you ought6.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Laughing way to hard at this. 'Sgot to be the nightcap.

How can you see past 40 yards in the thick spruce trees? A 400 yard shot on a red squirrel is unethical due to the conditions typically encountered when persuing them. You need to learn how to hunt! Get closer!

AK Ray - have you never climbed a big ole spruce tree when ur hunt'n skwirlz? In proper conditions long shots are often viable and sometimes even necessary to protect ones'self. Ever seen a skwirl go after ur nutz? OUCH. Not only will they chew them off the vine, but sometimes they will then bury them while you are watching!

Given the price of ammunition and its non-availability, you should think of making a self-atlatyl. Much more effective at long yardage than a self-bow.

Do you guys know how deadly an atlaytl is?

sorry - to keep on topic -------> Your atlatyl should be a minimum of 6 foot if you are attempting long distance throws with it - this is for tree top or above timber throwing only.

Now, if your hunt'n them in the dense underbrush, or worse yet, underground Tundra Skwirlz, you need to keep your atlaytl length very low - like maybe 2 feet.

Now, that said, if you are worried about self protection while you are takin care of your business while squattin over an alder branch you should consult with your significant other; reason being, your 9 inches may not add up to the actual atlatyl length needed in such close quarters and the skwirl just might be buryin ur nutz because you overestimated the length of atlatyl required to operate in such close quarters.

Whew - run on sentence. SKWIRL. WHO said SKWIRL ?

I'm still trying to figure out how you plan to shoot these squirrels out of the barrel? And 400 yd range with a squirrel? Don't they tend to open up and splay a bit once they come to the end of the barrel? I'd think you would have to dip these squirrels in some kind of resin at least prior to shooting them out of any barrel...

Soak them in bar grease. Of course you need an 06 to get the grease.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Soak them in bar grease. Of course you need an 06 to get the grease.
    Well that makes sense. Do red squirrels have better BC than say grey squirrels? I would like to try a mid-western grey squirrel. Those suckers are huge! I bet they have great knock down power on larger game. Speaking of, what is the recommended range of game that you can take with a red squirrel?

Speaking of shooting greased squirrels, the firearm at the bottom is my favorite squirrel shooter. You have to leave the tails on to act as patching. The three firearms above it are for shooting voles. Voles need to be patched as their tails are not substantial.

The pan flash burn from the short stock is a conversation starter. No more bushy eyebrows.