Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway Hunting

Default Denali Highway Hunting

Was thinking of planning a hunt south of the Susitna Lodge for 2008? Going to try to get a sheep and the Tier II caribou tag! Grizzly is also open at the same time. I know I can expect a crowd. Just wondering if anybody has any information about the area, I am going to try Watana and Jay Creek! Has anybody been in the vicinity of these creeks? I will be on foot. Hunt time will be beginning August 10th. I believe that would be the Nothern Talkeetna mountains, right?

I am familiar with Jay canyon accessed via 4-wheeler from the Denali Hwy - long trip on a dry year - very long trip on a wet year. There is a trapper that lives there year round and has done so for many years. The area is excellent for moose and a caribou meat hunt....if one is eligible!!! Not familiar with sheep in the area tho it is rumored that closer to Watana Lake there are "some" sheep but personal knowledge on my part is nonexistent. Perhaps someone else is more knowledgeable. Good luck.

heard bad things about the sheep north of the susitna river, as in there are very few..but as sheep info goes alot of times it might be "altered to protect"...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Unhappy Bad Sheep

I hope not. I think I am going to try to hunt Jack River and the East Fork of the Chulitna River. I'm sure this gets hunted pretty good. According to Fish and Game, there has been sheep harvested for the last three to four years. Hope I am making a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    I hope not. I think I am going to try to hunt Jack River and the East Fork of the Chulitna River. I'm sure this gets hunted pretty good. According to Fish and Game, there has been sheep harvested for the last three to four years. Hope I am making a good decision.
    That area gets pressured real good from horse camps. If you want to compete successfully with them, you need to be camped in close proximtiy to the sheep at least two days before the season opens. You can drive a car almost to the base of the hill where Jack comes out of the mountain. Usually in Aug, you can walk up the creek bed a long way. It is a two day walk in to the sheep, so you need to leave four days before the season opener. Good Luck

Smile Good News

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That area gets pressured real good from horse camps. If you want to compete successfully with them, you need to be camped in close proximtiy to the sheep at least two days before the season opens. You can drive a car almost to the base of the hill where Jack comes out of the mountain. Usually in Aug, you can walk up the creek bed a long way. It is a two day walk in to the sheep, so you need to leave four days before the season opener. Good Luck
    I did not know there was a road that lead close to the mountains. I figured I would start walking from the Denali Highway. I was almost certain there would be some other hunters out there. I had planned to start hiking into the area starting August 5th. Thanks

good luck!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You may have already tried this but if not, you may be able to figure out where that road is by looking it up on google earth. I have found it is the easiest to find a land mark or town and go from there. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
    You may have already tried this but if not, you may be able to figure out where that road is by looking it up on google earth. I have found it is the easiest to find a land mark or town and go from there. Good luck
    That is a good tool. But the given area is so small, and there are so few roads anyway, it don't take long to find it when you drive there. I think it is the third or fourth right turn after leaving Cantwell, past the culvert at Fish Creek.

I was just up that way last week fishing.And Geez,,every little road or trail has a sign saying keep out ,,private property,,or some such thing.I think it went on for about 20 miles or so out of Cantwell..Anybody no anything about these signs being posted.Are they even legit,or someone trying to save there favorite spots for themselves...By the way ,,Fishing Was Awesome..............

Default there are some people

that i've heard of doing that. posting land that is public. you can check out land status at dnr.

Default Posted signs

The signs are put there by the Ahtna Corporation. Its there land so they are trying to get people to buy permits to park there and access their property. I would say the best thing to do is contact the trooper station in Cantwell and see what they say to do. The issue is there is a public right of way but they (Ahtna) still thinks they own it!!!

My 2 cents...don't pay their permit or their ticket they may try and write!!! Good luck on the hunting though.

Angry Blocking right of ways

What kind of message does it send everyone when a native corperation attempts to block legitimate acess? I know what it says to me.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

There is BLM posted access to Jack river where it comes out of the Talkeetnas, on the south side of the Denali hwy about Mp 130, or at the top of the 1st hill about 1 mile from the end of the pavement. This is BLM access thru Ahtna lands. There is a small pullout there.

Default How far in?

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    There is BLM posted access to Jack river where it comes out of the Talkeetnas, on the south side of the Denali hwy about Mp 130, or at the top of the 1st hill about 1 mile from the end of the pavement. This is BLM access thru Ahtna lands. There is a small pullout there.
    How far does the road go back toward the mountains?

Its not a road, its an old horse trail and now a 4-wheeler trail, the 'road' mentioned earlier in this thread is blocked off now, this trail gets you there faster anyway. It is BLM marked for about a 2 mile distance. It goes into the mountains along the Jack.

A large portion of land around Cantwell has been conveyed to Ahtna, the botttom line on the 'signed' Ahtna land is that its private land. There will be more land selections in the Cantwell & Broad Pass area and more conveyed, overall to the tune of over 700,000 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    Its not a road, its an old horse trail and now a 4-wheeler trail, the 'road' mentioned earlier in this thread is blocked off now, this trail gets you there faster anyway. It is BLM marked for about a 2 mile distance. It goes into the mountains along the Jack.
    Dang, there goes another good grayling hole. Seems as the the grayling liked to concregate near the hills where the Jack River came out. It was only last year that we could drive up to the creek and camp. Sad where all this is headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Dang, there goes another good grayling hole. Seems as the the grayling liked to concregate near the hills where the Jack River came out. It was only last year that we could drive up to the creek and camp. Sad where all this is headed.
    Having watched since the 60s, I had figured out where it was all headed in alaska by the early 80s. Twenty years is a long time to figure it out but at least I'm not sitting here in 2007 wondering where it's all headed

I think all of the hunting north of the Denali Highway for the first few miles from the Glen is non-motorized?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast