View Poll Results: What is the experienced Alaskan's go-to cartridge for Red Squirrel defense?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daisy Red Ryder BB gun

2 4.00%
  • .177 pellet gun

11 22.00%
  • .22 pellet gun

1 2.00%
  • .25 pellet gun

0 0%
  • .22 CB Short

1 2.00%
  • .22 CB Long

1 2.00%
  • .22 LR

20 40.00%
  • .338 Win Mag

2 4.00%
  • .375 H&H

5 10.00%
  • 12 gauge / Brenneke slugs

7 14.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interior Red Squirrel Cartridge Poll

Default Interior Red Squirrel Cartridge Poll

What would be your go-to cartridge for Red Squirrel defense?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

458WM for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well, it depends - are you talking about a predatory attack, one where you might be surprised by a hungry squirrel while field dressing a moose, or having to follow a wounded squirrel into heavy brush in order to finish it off? For worst case scenarios, I'm thinking that a .416 would be a minimum - but that should probably be way stepped up as long as the hunter isn't a pansy who flinches with high recoil rounds.

The worst are the ones foraging for nuts just as your doing your morning business hung over a down log.Best to have that big short handgun ready. Also if you like to eat sunflower seeds while walking check your six often.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I flinch at the sound of one hand clapping so no big boomers for me...

The .22 CB Short works fine as long as I shoot them in the earhole on the run....which of course I can since I channel Annie Oakley AND have a Y Chromosome...

<sarcasm font off>
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I flinch at the sound of one hand clapping so no big boomers for me...

The .22 CB Short works fine as long as I shoot them in the earhole on the run....which of course I can since I channel Annie Oakley AND have a Y Chromosome...

<sarcasm font off>
    Brave man indeed.

Well, I seem to have stumbled upon differing information, from a far better source. I checked a fish and game website, and they told me a 270 would work just fine. After i'm done with this tapatalk message down here at the country club, I will refer you heathens to the contradicting information. With the 416, barrel length (between 20-24") is a very important consideration. The higher ballistic coefficient and the higher sectional density of 27 caliber bullets, they will work much better at 400 yds.

It'd depend on what caliber my guide was backing me up with......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I am from our of state, do I need a guide for Reds or can my second cousins brothers niece act as my guide? I have a 458 Socom AR platform with 7 lasers and a flir scope with two 100 round drums so I have the gun part figured out.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think F&G suggests squirrel spray.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I have had only bluff charges, so no need for my 20mm. The old depleted uranium is ready to get some when the need arises.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I am from our of state, do I need a guide for Reds or can my second cousins brothers niece act as my guide? I have a 458 Socom AR platform with 7 lasers and a flir scope with two 100 round drums so I have the gun part figured out.
    Unless you want to fly all that meat home, you can donate to the locals. I mean they're obviously too ignorant to know how to hunt for themselves.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Be sure you choose the correct load for the terrain you will be hunting, or you may find yourself in an embarrassing situation as I posted here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ying-squirrels

Post7

Obviously, the correct weapon for this situation could have effected the outcome and saved this hunter's reputation.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Again, the poll has inadvertently left out common squirrel hunting cartridges. The 20x128b used in the Lahti and Solothurn seem to be missing. Heres a photo of me on my last "big red hunt".Lahti 20mm.jpg
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Do you recommend a bolt action, lever action or semi? I'm concerned with an auto jamming in the middle of a red squirrel charge a 60 below zero. A bolt gun would probably work but capacity has me worried especially in a a tikka. Maybe a pre 64 Winchester so I can disassemble the bolt in the field when it gets full of silt from falling in the river.what to do?
    Do you carry a big bore handgun when you are hunting reds? I've heard they will advance on a gunshot or upon hearing the crinkling of cellophane wrapped cashews. Only in Kodiak of course...
    I have a friend who just got a big red and I think he said it squared out to like 8" no kidding! Used one of the front chisel teeth to make a **** fine clam shovel he did. Used the other tooth for a brake on his dogsled. Shot his with a .458 Win mag and had to break him down from the shoulders to plant him. Took 6 rounds too! Dangerous up here in the woods I tell ya! Every time I hear that chirping bark I get the shivers.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Again, the poll has inadvertently left out common squirrel hunting cartridges. The 20x128b used in the Lahti and Solothurn seem to be missing. Heres a photo of me on my last "big red hunt".Lahti 20mm.jpg
    Thing of beauty! The BIG question, is that enough for the greys and blacks? And the mythical Fox Squirrel?

that fella is about to get a tire shoved up his bum.............

Nah, my toes dig in like a climbing axe. It does "scoot" you around a bit, though.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My pick is the .17HMR...... the .22 CB long if it needs to be done quietly.

How did the .17HMR get left out of the poll?

BTW, it turns little tundra rats inside-out. I imagine it would do the same to an interior red.
    Now what ?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default weapon at hand

closest weapon at hand, the 10/22 was closest to the door when this one stalked us near the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast